★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Stone of Destiny

09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
The Stone of Destiny

Has anyone bought it? What are your impressions?
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirisaacx View Post
Has anyone bought it? What are your impressions?
I haven't, but it's 99 cents for today "only". I put that in quotes, because, really, do you think this is going to sell for the alleged 10x that price that is claimed to be the "normal" price? If it does go up to $10 after today, I really doubt it will stay that price for very long. Sales will drop to 0.

09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll buy that for a dollar.

Impressions later, if i have any time to play it. Supposed to be like Myst right?
09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I have to say I wasn't that impressed. I got fed up keep looking for objects and no real sense of getting anywhere with it. There is the occasional (simple) puzzle but that's about it. Maybe if I had persevered right to the end it might have got more interesting?!! But for 99c it passes the time I suppose?
09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with Selina. It gets pretty boring after a few minutes. Basically, it's like trying to find Waldo. The thing is, you can just tap aimlessly at the screen and find all of the objects. There's no penalty for tapping in the wrong spot. The small puzzles don't pose any challenge either. I thought it was going to be more like Trace Memory on the DS or something of that nature, but, it isn't. I can't recommend it. However, for 99 cents, it wouldn't kill anyone's pocket book if they just needed something to pass the time.
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
No, not like Myst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
...Supposed to be like Myst right?
Heavens, no. Myst is an adventure game. Adventure games have a story and environmentally-integrated puzzles that are relevant to the unfolding of the story, not merely a premise revealed in between-puzzle cartoons. A well-made adventure game is nothing short of sublime, whether you prefer dialog-heavy third-person adventures or first-person empty-landscape adventures like Myst. I get annoyed at how every cheesy puzzle game calls itself an "adventure".

SoD is a fairly standard hidden-object game, which I guess are quite popular since casual-game purveyors like Big Fish Games seem to release a new one every day. I have played a few, they're not a bad way to get a casual gaming fix.

I would love to see a real adventure game on the iPhone, but good ones come few and far between on all platforms. If you really don't know what a true adventure game is, check out Telltale's episodic Sam & Max series (for Windows, should run under Boot Camp, Season 1 is coming to Wii soon).
09-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd recommend it for $0.99 but not for 10 bucks
09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Now that it's 99 cents, I say buy it. It's not that great but it costs pretty much nothing now.
09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I got it for $.99. I'm glad I didn't pay the $9.99, but it'd definitely be worth a few bucks. For one dollar you shouldn't pass it up.

It's interesting and well made, but not challenging enough to be $10. If it was more difficult it'd be a much better game.
10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Well, I figured for $0.99, it would be worth it to give it a shot and add a review to the appstore, but I just noticed the price drop this morning, October 1, too late for the sale. Upon checking, it is still at $0.99, but I know it won't be by the time I get home from work, and it is too large to download without WiFi at my office. Then, I remembered I have Jaadu installed, so I went to my home computer through Jaadu and purchased it through iTunes while it is still on sale. That is actually the first practical use I have had for Jaadu since I bought it for $5. Neato!!