★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** 1st price winner of the German "BW goes mobile" application contest! ***
Welcome to the battlefield, Bot Commander!
In this game of intense battle action, you are in control to lead your small army of BattleBotz to victory. Select the right BattleBotz, choose tactics and weapons wisely, do the right moves and attack cleverly. Only then you will survive against your enemies!

Launch your rocket pod, throw your missiles upon your enemies. When the smoke clears you see the mighty Crunsher Bot rushing towards you. The gravity hammer smashes directly into your Bot and damages your right arm severely. Your only hope for survival is to grab the next repair kit. Can you make it in time before the rail gun is finishing off your Bot?

BattleBotz is a turn-based strategy game set in a Sci-Fi universe. You can fight against the AI and challenge your friends with your high-score, or play directly with your friends in HotSeat mode on the same device. With every round that you win you gain knowledge points which will enable new features of the game. Unlock new maps, weapons and equipment for hours of gameplay. Get ready to rumble!

BattleBotz is offering 3 different game modes.

Battlefield Mode:
Fight yourself through 10 unique levels. Try to gain the best high-score in the world for each level. Adapt your tactic and Bot selection depending on the level. Choose wisely or otherwise you won't survive long.

Player vs Player:
Have fun with your friends and a fast round of BattleBotz. In this hot-seat mode you can directly play on one device to find out who is the best Bot Commander!

Custom Game:
Here you can configure all game options on your own. The amount of teams, the amount of Botz, the map, and more. Feel like a small creator, but be aware ... you could still lose!

To win each game you can choose between different Botz. The Bot is your controllable unit of destruction on the battlefield. Each Bot starts with a predefined movement gear, aiming computer, battery size, weapon set and Bot chassis. On the battlefield you can upgrade your Botz. The movement gear defines the amount of available movement points at the beginning of each round. The battery feeds your movement gear and your weapons, so choose carefully for what you want to spend it! You don't want to end up unarmed on the battle field! And finally, if your hit points are zero or below your Bot will get destroyed, let this never happen!

Features:
- 8 different, upgradeable Botz to offer you a flexible game style
- Over 20 weapon systems reaching from the Power Chainsaw to the Nuclear Rocket
- 13 unique maps for hours of gameplay
- Multitouch navigational map supporting pinch gestures for zooming
- Awesome graphics for a stunning in game experience
- Cinematic soundtrack with 4 different scores or listen to your own iPod music
- Ranking system with 10 different ranks, from "Private" to "Major"
- Online leaderboards for the different ranks via Agon Online (www.agon-online.com)
12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
12-24-2009, 10:17 AM
For $0.99 US I decided to give it a try (despite the use of a "z" in the title...). Gameplay is fairly straight forward - you and your opponent takes turns moving your bot one at a time, tapping the screen to make your bot take one step forward or back or turn to the left or right. You have a fixed number of movement points, and each move also uses a little bit of battery. Once each bot has moved the attack phase begins, and you and your opponent take turns attacking with a bot one at a time. Each bot has multiple weapons, including close combat melee, short and long distance ranged, debilitating effects that reduce movement or aiming, and AOE-type effects. Each attack also uses battery, and battery power only partially replenishes between attacks, so an alpha strike each turn leads to short term gain, long term loss. Once all bots have attacked the next round begins. "Loot," consisting of additional weapons, health or battery restore, and armor that reduces incoming damage, will drop each round, as well as from defeated enemies, and can be picked up by both sides.

Before a fight you can chose different bots, with fixed health, battery, movement points and weapon layout. It may be possible to edit this prior to battle but after a couple of fights I have not been presented with this option. You need to gain "experience" by destroying other bots to unlock new maps and chasis. However, in the campaign mode each map is seemingly endless - once you defeat all the enemy bots, more will automatically spawn. This makes the campaign less of a scenario and more of an "arena"-type brawl. When all your bots are destroyed you will be given experience and return to the main menu.

At any time you can tap on a bot and see its current health/battery/movement and weapon layout.
Graphics are bright and the terrain is very colorful, although all bots on your team end up the same color. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does detract from the uniqueness of each chasis and make it hard to distinguish which one you chose to be the close combat fighter and which one is the ranged.

Multiplayer is hotseat only, no online or wifi/bluetooth. This is a bit of a downside and at least local wifi/bluetooth would be the first feature I would suggest adding in future updates.

Overall not a bad game, but certainly does not add anything new to the turn-based strategy genre. I played a Battletech-inpsired game back on the Palm OS platform a few years ago that reminds me very strongly of this title. The $0.99 US price point is good for me, and if you are a fan of turn-based strategies then you will probably find some entertainment in this game.
02-21-2010, 11:34 AM
there's now a Lite to try:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battlebotz-lite/id356275265?mt=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.