★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis is the ultimate table tennis experience!

Features include:
* Single Player (Against an AI or the wall!)
* Multiplayer over bluetooth
* 9 paddles ( 7 paddles need unlocking by completing tasks)
* 2 legenday paddles!
* Full accelerometer use (swing to hit the ball)
* Stats!

Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis requires you to listen to the ball travel and swing your device when in range! Don't strain your eyes on the screen playing another video game! Get a friend and swing your devices together over bluetooth!

The faster you swing, the faster the ball travels!

"It's AWESOME!" - Rad Owen

makeout's comments:
With the launch of the 1.1 update we are giving away Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis Free for 24 hours! Get it now!

Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis

We are proud to announce the release of Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis. Just in time for Christmas! In Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis, simulate playing table tennis by swinging your iDevice in 3 different game modes! Listen to the ball travel and swing when you feel it's in range. Single player vs a Rad Owen himself, Challenge mode against a wall and multiplayer over bluetooth peer to peer! 9 different paddles to select from! And a bunch of fun stats tracked by the game. Don't miss out on the multiplayer action! Grab and friend and swing your devices together!

12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Sounds pretty weird so I'mma give it a try ^^'

12-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Uhm, well that was interesting X) As described; you simply need to flick your wrist at the right time in order to hit an invisible ball - which you'll hear bouncing back and forward either between you and an opponent (AI or real - the game supports Bluetooth multiplayer) or you and a wall. The faster you swing, the harder you hit the ball.

When playing against someone (be it the AI or someone you know), the first player to reach 11 points wins the game. Winning a ball means you score one point.
Hitting the ball against a wall is pretty much just a test of endurance to see how many times you can hit the ball without missing the rebound.

The game seems to offer 9 levels of difficulties. Not entirely sure of this because it doesn't exactly say "Difficulty: level 1", "level 2" etc - there are just 9 differently colored bricks within the Setting screen that can be selected, and I actually have no idea what they do ^^ But I'm guessing they represent difficulty level since most of them are locked and I unlocked one of them after completing my first game.

Not that it matters when you can win a game by simply flicking your wrist left and right at all time, never stopping.
12-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConraDargo View Post
Uhm, well that was interesting X) As described; you simply need to flick your wrist at the right time in order to hit an invisible ball - which you'll hear bouncing back and forward either between you and an opponent (AI or real - the game supports Bluetooth multiplayer) or you and a wall. The faster you swing, the harder you hit the ball.

When playing against someone (be it the AI or someone you know), the first player to reach 11 points wins the game. Winning a ball means you score one point.
Hitting the ball against a wall is pretty much just a test of endurance to see how many times you can hit the ball without missing the rebound.

The game seems to offer 9 levels of difficulties. Not entirely sure of this because it doesn't exactly say "Difficulty: level 1", "level 2" etc - there are just 9 differently colored bricks within the Setting screen that can be selected, and I actually have no idea what they do ^^ But I'm guessing they represent difficulty level since most of them are locked and I unlocked one of them after completing my first game.

Not that it matters when you can win a game by simply flicking your wrist left and right at all time, never stopping.
Thanks for trying it out.
There are no levels of difficulty yet. The "bricks" are paddles you can chose that change in the game view. Theres 9 paddles to select from. 7 of which need to get unlocked. If you press on the locked one, you will see the requirements to unlock them.

makeout
Twitter
SludgeMonsters.com
Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis iTunes Link
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Ooh so that's what it was! Right, thanks for telling me

The game feels kinda neat at first but I honestly can't see myself playing it more than once, since it's just too easy and not quite as amusing after you get over the whole listen-and-hit-at-the-right-time thing.
Actually, after a few minutes with the game I caught myself not listening so much to the actual sound of where the ball was currently positioned as I was thinking about the noise the ball makes when it hits the table. Hope I'm making sense now when I try to explain this; rather than seeing the ball in front of me and positioning it by the distance of the sound, I simply swung my iTouch the second time the ball hit the table - since it rarely lands more than once on each side of the net.

This will become one of those titles that I show off to my friends just for the fun of it, and they'll got "lol, that's pretty funny and crazy" and then I'll show them a real game to actually impress them.
12-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definetly take that into consideration for the first update.

makeout
Twitter
SludgeMonsters.com
02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
To celebrate the 1.1 update, we are giving away Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis free for 24h!
Hurry up and get it now.

(might take a few minutes for the price change to appear)

makeout
Twitter
SludgeMonsters.com
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeout View Post
To celebrate the 1.1 update, we are giving away Rad Owen's Pro Table Tennis free for 24h!
Hurry up and get it now.

(might take a few minutes for the price change to appear)
Making it free will get me to d/l it and give it a try. I'm a table tennis player on weekends at times so interested in trying it out.
Don't want to come off sounding critical but the screen shots didn't give me a clue as to what the actual gameplay is about. Maybe a shot of the table with an actual game at play?

On a later note: Ok...that WAS a shot of the table.....in play..lol. Have tried it and its all about listening to the sound of the ball being served and retuning ball sounds. (as mentioned within this thread)
Unfortunately while even writing this sentence (one handed) I have my Touch in hand and swinging the paddle/Touch and have won without even looking at the game. 3rd time doing it this way. Little too easy. Personally I'm not one to play this type of game but others might try to see what they think.

Last edited by Coldar; 02-10-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: later note
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the comments. It is hard to sell this game as its not a conventional game. There is no table. Everything is played by listening to the sounds and swinging your iDevice. Hence why the screen shot only show a large paddle. The screen shots actually show all the screens available in the game. (minus maybe the match making).

It's a tough sell since from what I can gather, not alot of people read the description of the app.

makeout
Twitter
SludgeMonsters.com
02-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Looks funny. I will give it a try!