★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Promo code requests (claiming to be) from macrumors.com

12-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Promo code requests (claiming to be) from macrumors.com

There is someone posing as Arn, asking for promo requests for macrumors.com, using the obviously incriminating email address macrumors@live.com

Look out for this idiot. I had a little fun with him today, sent a bunch of random numbers, started up a conversation and told him what I thought if him.

What really irritates me isn't the fact he is trying to steal codes but that there might be developers out there waiting for a macrumors feature to drag their apps into the limelight.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
12-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Yea, I saw a developer posting about this on twitter. You'd think if he was so desprate for free apps he'd just jailbreak his device (not that I think stealing apps via jailbreaking is right, just that it seems like a much eaiser way to get apps for free...)

Plus+ (Eliminate): CBraun53

Favorite games: Bounce On, Car Jack Streets, Blue Defense!, AlienMangle, Snail Mail, Mouse About

12-25-2009, 04:27 AM
ya, we don't send out promo requests generally. (either macrumors or toucharcade).

So, be suspect.

arn
12-25-2009, 05:26 AM
From "Adam Braverman" I presume. Yeah he's fake.

We get a hefty amount of these emails, and it's a good idea to check their domain they are emailing from, and request an email to be sent using the correct domain for verification purposes instead of gmail or hotmail.
12-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
He wrote to us a few weeks ago. I asked him to send e-mail from @macrumors.com e-mail address, and he never replied back.

Cheers,
ILIYA
12-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Yep this is the mail I got...

Hi

On behalf of*http://www.macrumors.com/*I would like to know if we could have a Free iTunes Code for your Applications so we could review them for our website's special holiday/year end app review bash?

Cheers,
Macrumors.

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Arn confirmed this was not legit so keep a look out

Follow me on Twitter
Games/Ports I have on Appstore
GeoTris $0.99, iPlutoid Free, Neverputt ME $0.99, Noiz2sa Free Free, Neverputt HD $0.99
Coming this year MiZoo 2, 2 untitled games in work
12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Got the same thing. I thought it was a little strange that Arn was sending me such a poorly written, impersonal email
01-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Just a heads up that this guy is still at it - we just got one of these requests today:

Quote:
Email: MacRumors@live.com

Hi,

On behalf of http://www.macrumors.com/ I would like to know if we could have a Free iTunes Code for your Applications so we could review it for our website\'s special holiday/year end app review bash?

Cheers,
Macrumors.
01-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Special Holiday? Year End? This guy must be living in the paaasssttt!

I got this email as well, he asked for iType2Go's promo code.. I was quite happy for a while until I noticed the Hotmail tag.. gotcha!

So, I sent him some nonsense promo-impersonator-code.. and guess what, he responded back by saying thanks and that he will reply soon with a draft of the review..

LOL!!

XCoolApps.com, My Fiverrr Gig
GameCenter ID: XCool
Please mention TouchArcade (and SF IV Volt or COD:BO Zombies) when sending a request.
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Hello friends,

I have 18.000.000 US Promo Codes from a customer who just passed away.
I need someone to help me get them out of the country. I am willing to give him 20% of the codes.

Please get in touch with me for more details.