★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is Your App Compatible With OS 2.2.1? No? Read this!

12-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Is Your App Compatible With OS 2.2.1? No? Read this!

In an article dated Dec. 21, iLounge reports that 45% of iPod Touch users are still using OS 2.x; they have not upgraded to OS 3.x. And it doesn't have to do with the five bucks!

Thought developers might be interested in this statistic, since I am seeing more and more apps that require 3.1.2. Might want to take into consideration that if your new app requires 3.0 you are excluding a huge number of potential buyers. Obviously Gameloft knows this little secret--virtually all of their games are compatible with 2.2.1...even NOVA...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-3.0-adoption/
12-26-2009, 07:17 AM
There's one problem... one day Firmware 2.x WILL die... you as dev can either support this process or help the remaining 2.x users...

Last edited by Vingdoloras; 12-26-2009 at 10:39 AM.

12-26-2009, 08:15 AM
I absolutely agree with the OP, and have posted statements like that in other developer forums many times before... Personally, Rogue Touch still supports OS 2.0! But for 99% coverage of iPhone and iPod Touch users 2.2.1 should be fine. My next game will likely try to cover 2.2.1 unless I need a 3.0 specific feature (I do have one or two in mind that might be worth it, but it's a tough choice)

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
12-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingdoloras View Post
There's one problem... one day FIrmware 2.x WILL die... you as dev can either support this process or help the remaining 2.x users...
Obviously, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
A developer like Gameloft doesn't seem to have any problem making their games available to the widest possible audience. They want to make as much money as possible, and they have been more successful than just about anyone else!

Of course, developers are certainly well within their rights to elect to limit their potential customer base...and then gripe about the lack of sales.
I am merely pointing out information gleaned from a recent article because it is pertinent to game development, and I thought some developers might be interested in the most recent info.

I agree that "one day FIrmware 2.x WILL die," but apparently not anytime soon. Gameloft--and other major developers-- are apparently smart enough to recognize that.
12-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingdoloras View Post
There's one problem... one day Firmware 2.x WILL die... you as dev can either support this process or help the remaining 2.x users...
This wasn't meant to eb against firmware 2.2.1... Of course, I would choose to make my Apps work on 2.2.1, too, because I know many people still use it (my brother uses it, because so many apps do still work with 2.x)...

There's just one interesting thing...
The more devs who make their game "3.x only", the more reasons a user would have to switch to 3.x ...
The more users switching to 3.x, the less profit can be made by making an app work with 2.2.1.

For example, my brother (he is only playing games on his iPod, no utility apps etc) won't buy 3.x in the near future. The only app he wants but can't use is Canabalt... and he won't pay more than double the price of the game just to be able to play it. But the day will come when there will be more apps he can't play, which will then make him buy 3.x...

Btw, how many newcoming devs think about making their apps 2.2.1 compatible? At the moment I guess there are still lots of newcomers who think of this "problem", but what will happen in the future?
12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
What keeps me from updating is the not so rare horror stories I read on the Apple support forums about the 3.0 upgrade pretty much ruining (not completely, mind you, but being a HUGE annoyance) their Touches.

As for developing, and this is my opinion on quite a few things actually, if you HAVE to use the 3.0 features or if they'll really add something to your app, then don't let the people who haven't upgraded slow you down. But it annoys me when some people just add some 3.0 features "just because" when they really don't need them at all.

I also fail to see how more users going 3.x means less profit for a 2.2.1 app (aside from any DLC that may be included). It's not like 2.2.1 doesn't work on a higher firmware.

And honestly, I see myself buying a new iPod before I upgrade. That should say that it has a lot more to do than the $5 price tag.

Last edited by Maeks; 12-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
12-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I think what's worse is when a developer releases a game at 2.2.1 then switches to 3.0 at an arbitrary update.

Happened to me recently with Minigore; there was a serious flipscreen bug. I missed the update to fix that,, but went to upgrade to the next update but couldn't install to my 2.2.1 ipod touch as it required 3.0. So I can't use that game anymore. No bigger kick in the balls than paying for a game and no longer being able to play it a few months later.
12-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
Thought developers might be interested in this statistic, since I am seeing more and more apps that require 3.1.2. Might want to take into consideration that if your new app requires 3.0 you are excluding a huge number of potential buyers. Obviously Gameloft knows this little secret--virtually all of their games are compatible with 2.2.1...even NOVA...
our games still support 2.0

there is no reason to simply force users to upgrade to 3.x.x - especially if our games are not going to use the features of 3.x.x. unless there are some massive improvements in the newer operating systems - there is no reason for some ipod touch users to actually do the update. some of the 3.x.x versions are actually slower than 2.x.x versions - from some posts i've seen around the web - which is another reason not to upgrade.

we'll continue to support 2.0 - even if no-one uses it.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
It really doesn't matter how many iPod Touches are out there, nor how many are sticking with 2.x or whatever. What matters is how many of those owners actually BUY games.

Not many. Not compared to iPhone.

Making your game playable on 2.x is advised unless you really need a feature that only works in 3.x. But don't expect it to drive your sales worldwide.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
That statistic sounds very true. Many people I know (especially girls) who have the iPod Touch have no idea what 3.0 even is or means. I explained it to one of my friends and afterwards, she still didn't seem to really care. I went on about how the upgrade was only $5 now and how she can't get great games like Tap Tap Revenge 3 (which she wanted to buy) without the 3.0 upgrade, but she kinda just shrugged it off saying "Oh well" and carried on... :/

Want Updates & Giveaways with Personality? Follow @TapDatApp on Twitter