★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How does Chess With Friends work, exactly?

01-18-2009, 01:11 AM
How does Chess With Friends work, exactly?

I noticed something strange about Chess With Friends. Are you truly playing with human players when you create a game with a random opponent?

I ask this because I noticed how quickly a game was created when I create a game with a random player. Are there really that many players creating a random game and getting matched up?

And further, I noticed that every time I created a random game, I'm the white player. Every time.

So it made me wonder. How exactly does it work?
01-18-2009, 01:16 AM
All I know is that you play chess with friends. It doesn't state if those friends are real or not though.

01-18-2009, 03:18 AM
They are real.

Like myself people start up maybe 5 games at a time, sometimes more. maybe 1 or 2 games will start immediately, while sometimes some wont start for 10+ minutes.
01-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
They are real.

Like myself people start up maybe 5 games at a time, sometimes more. maybe 1 or 2 games will start immediately, while sometimes some wont start for 10+ minutes.
I never had to wait more than 30 seconds, and I was ALWAYS on the white side.

And yes I have 5 games going on. I'm white in all of them. As well as the 15+ games I've played before that.
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
On your screen, you are always white, and on your opponent's screen, he is always white.
01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaa93 View Post
On your screen, you are always white, and on your opponent's screen, he is always white.
That's not true. From my experience, you get white when you get an instant gameplay. If you get a waiting time whilst it's searching for an opponent, then you get black.
I've played lots of this game, and yes, most of the time I am white (because I do get an instant game), but sometimes I am black.

I can show screenshots if you want...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-18-2009, 02:57 PM
i think if you clikc find a game and DONT quit the app while it searches for someone then you get White. If you do do quit the app and come back an hour later or w/e then it will give White to the person who u got matched with who has their app open
01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaa93 View Post
That wouldn't make sense. Who goes first?

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I've played something like 100+ Chess w/ Friends games... and sometimes I am white, sometimes I am black. *shrug*

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->
01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Chess With Friends Random Opponent

Hello!

You are always matched with a real player in Chess With Friends. There should be a 50/50 chance of being black or white depending on whether you were the even or odd player to start searchin for a random opponent. This will also determine if you are put in a game immediately or if you need to wait until another player searches for a game.

Also, quitting the app or waiting 30 seconds for your games list to refresh should not effect the outcome of the opponent search.

Happy

Regards,
David Bettner
Newtoy Inc