★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Links, Tetris w/ neon graphics.

12-30-2009, 02:14 AM
Links, Tetris w/ neon graphics.

New game that just came out, looks very interesting for only $.99.

Appshopper:
http://appshopper.com/games/links

Dev's site:
http://links.buntargames.com/
12-30-2009, 02:32 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 01-02-2010 at 04:56 PM.

12-30-2009, 10:48 AM
No one interested in this?

Will try to find a video of the gameplay then.
12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
No one interested in this?

Will try to find a video of the gameplay then.
Hold the phone, how do you think that 5 star rating got there? At least I'm enjoying it quite a lot!

If you've played the also recently released Compression or maybe any of the Dr. Mario Clones you'll have the basic idea...but even then there is a little bit of a different twist.

To clear pieces there must be a continuous link of 5 or more same colored segments but they need not be linked in a straight line, heck, the game even counts diagonals so as long as all 5 or more same colored segments are touching at least one other part of the group, they'll disappear in a cool firey neon explosion!

In the one default mode I'm playing there don't appear to be levels nor does the dropping rate speed up on its own (as far as I can tell). My best guess is just that the pieces dropping get a little trickier over time (like where I last save my game this morning I seemed to be getting a lot of squares which, since left over segments don't simply fall with gravity, can cause the screen to fill up a bit faster than just via the falling pieces with less segments).

As you play you'll earn tokens which you can spend on 6 different abilities such as a wildcard piece, a bomb piece, and a few other nifty effects to help you out.

Good fun and highly recommended!

(P.S. As I'm still in the midst of my first game I'm not sure if it has only local or online score tracking).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to d3gator
we are working on online score tracking.

But we don't know which way is the best to do the independent tracking system or to implement OpenFeint or something like this.

Also gameplay video will be available on site soon
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
its Classic game))
12-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3gator View Post
we are working on online score tracking.

But we don't know which way is the best to do the independent tracking system or to implement OpenFeint or something like this.

Also gameplay video will be available on site soon
Hmm, tough call.

I know I dislike having to quit out and open a browser window to see it, so please avoid that if possible.

Please remember that if you do implement some online scoring to still support the local scoring for those who may not have wi-fi access. Best yet, if not using Open Feint, please let players submit their current top scores from their highscore page so that if I got some killer score while out of wi-fi range, once back in wi-fi range I could submit it.

If you do end up going with Open Feint you're obligated to at least come up with a good handful of achievements. Making your game Open Feint without achievements can come off as a half-assed implementation. Ideally a breakdown something like this:
1) A couple really easy ones anybody could even accidentally achieve after playing one or two games.
2) A big handful simply based on basic game statistics (score, size of group, or length of cascading combos).
3) Finally a smaller handful of really weird ones that the player might have to put some effort into as they're probably not likely to happen on their own accidentally (like "Get your token count to 100 without ever using an ability" or "Play a single game for over three minutes without ever clearing out any of the red segments").

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
...If you've played the also recently released Compression or maybe any of the Dr. Mario Clones you'll have the basic idea...but even then there is a little bit of a different twist.
First, that 3-star review I gave was a mistake, didn't know the "appinfo" format had changed and so the window registered a click that was definitely unintentional - sorry to the developer! Does anyone know how to remove that review or at least change it?

But, I'd like to know from someone who has both this game and also Compression. Since they seem slightly comparable, if there was a choice of one or the other, well.. which one would you choose and why? Or, if they are different, then on what merits would you recommend them individually?
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Nice graphic.
Match3,go,go,go .

Puzzle game Falling Match = Tetris + Color match 3 + Physics.
01-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to d3gator
Happy New Year!!!

gameplay video is available on site http://links.buntargames.com

Last edited by d3gator; 01-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.