★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Replayability

01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,165
Replayability

I've been pretty active around the TA forums, and I notice a constant word that is misused and it is "replayability." I want to quickly clarify what makes a game have replayability:

"Any reason to play the game more than once."

It's as simple as that. When people complain that there is no replayability on games like Rolando(This is just an example), that is completely inaccurate because there are medals and achievements to earn, and unless you earned all those medals and achievements the first time through; there is replayability.

Another example is the game Edge. Sure there are only 26 levels, but were all the levels completed with an S Rank?

Again, whether you personally want to go back and achieve all S Ranks is entirely up to you, but you can't say there is no replay value when it is clearly present.

I hope this cleared things up for some people.
01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maythius View Post
I've been pretty active around the TA forums, and I notice a constant word that is misused and it is "replayability." I want to quickly clarify what makes a game have replayability:

"Any reason to play the game more than once."

It's as simple as that. When people complain that there is no replayability on games like Rolando(This is just an example), that is completely inaccurate because there are medals and achievements to earn, and unless you earned all those medals and achievements the first time through; there is replayability.

Another example is the game Edge. Sure there are only 26 levels, but were all the levels completed with an S Rank?

Again, whether you personally want to go back and achieve all S Ranks is entirely up to you, but you can't say there is no replay value when it is clearly present.

I hope this cleared things up for some people.
True, but once you unlock all achievements, that's it. Games with replayability are like Bejewled and Fuzzle.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Secret Treehouse
Posts: 232
It depends entirely on how you would view something as replayable. To me achieving ranks isn't appealing so I wouldn't say it has replayability.
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
True, but once you unlock all achievements, that's it. Games with replayability are like Bejewled and Fuzzle.
Sure when you are talking about the amount of replayability Fuzzle does have more than a game like Rolando, but again that doesnt mean there is no replayability in Rolando.

Does that make sense?
01-18-2009, 02:23 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocStock View Post
It depends entirely on how you would view something as replayable. To me achieving ranks isn't appealing so I wouldn't say it has replayability.
Exactly, which is why I said:

Again, whether you personally want to go back and achieve all S Ranks is entirely up to you, but you can't say there is no replay value when it is clearly present.



*Sorry for the double post*
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocStock View Post
It depends entirely on how you would view something as replayable. To me achieving ranks isn't appealing so I wouldn't say it has replayability.
highscores are replay able. Papijump: 30.000

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 536
While I do consider that replay value should be an important factor in any game, a lot of the games that are released cost very little. If $10 is the premium price point on the store, you can't expect a bucketload of content for $5.

Besides, any game gets tiresome. Online play can extend a game's life for weeks if not months - but all too soon you'll be playing the next offering.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.
www.gamesuncovered.com
twitter.com/gamesuncovered
youtube.com/gamesuncovered
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: nowhere near you!
Posts: 341
replayability stands for "randomly generated levels/puzzles/dungeons/items/etc" in my dictionary...

lock 'n' roll is free and has more replay value than most titles (specially the 10$ ones)

any puzzle game (not 3-match, but rather logical) that are "randomly" generated each play has great replay value - IF you like puzzles...

i don't see myself playing rolando again just for fun, after finding/unlocking/seeing everything... simcity on the other hand - i like trying new city designs and stuff...

i would love to see a port of diablo or something real close to it! would pay full price with no look backs.
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,823
replayability?

replayability is when you really, and i mean really, love the certain game. for example i go trough blackbeard's assault over and over again - and it's not the best game out there for sure, but it's awesome for ME.

as for the edege... i finished the it (without having "s" in every level) and at the moment i don't wont to play it one more time. maybe later. it's great and i loved playing it - but it's all for now.
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 489
How about SlotZ racer? That game has really good replayability, as you can make your own tracks and race with friends!