★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "This is an AWESOME game for puzzle freaks" - touchArcade forum

Previously featured by Apple in WHAT'S HOT

REVIEWS
"A work of Art"
"...its character, art style, and terrific gameplay justify the price. Mondrain can rest in peace knowing that his iDevice game has been transformed into a 5-Dimple work of art."
-- AppSmile.com

"This is one title not to be missed by puzzle fans, and is engaging enough for anyone to enjoy."
-- AppSpy.com

4 stars "Mondrian is a great game injecting loads of personality, and style into a genre that usually is just associated with blue blocks."
-- TouchGen.net

"...a challenging and visually pleasing puzzler brought to you by Piet Mondrian...anyone who downloads the game is in for quite a few hours of brain-tingling puzzles."
-- Touch Arcade

"...very simple but deep, interesting, artistic puzzle game. So cool."
-- theslick.net (Japan)

FANS
"I just wanted to say that having played through to almost the end of Brazil now, I find this a brilliant game. Really hard, and therefore thoroughly rewarding when you DO actually beat a level. And I (strangely) love it when I am busting with pride at having beaten a level and good old Piet says words to the effect of 'Well done, but actually you're cr*p. I could do better than that, and I'm dead'. Lol!"
-- MrMuesli on touchArcade.com

"This is absolutely superb - I really love the game. ... Plays really nicely, extremely polished. I love it."
-- badmanj on touchArcade.com forum

"...This game is definitely one of the harder puzzle games out there, so anyone up for a tough challenge should pick this one up."
-- tblrsa on touchArcade.com forum

ABOUT

This beautiful modern art puzzler may seem easy. Just slide squares of color to solve the "paintings". But by the end of this game, the puzzles are about as difficult to solve as modern art is to understand!

But don't worry you won't be alone. The ghost of Piet Mondrian will be with you every step of the way to help -- or to chastise you with his wicked sense of humor.

Slide colored squares to make the finished "paintings." Special squares make solving even harder - squares with a required move count, squares that change color, and squares that slide right through the matching colored ones.

FEATURES
- Game elements never seen before in a puzzler like this

- Undo any move

- Every position is saved

- Replay any puzzle to try for a better score.

- Play your own ipod music

Travel through a dozen world locations and solve puzzles for money and the satisfaction of restoring abstract art!

jefarmstrong's comments:
Edit: Check out our new video in this post

Our video:

Hi everyone. It's been a long time coming. I have been working nights and weekends for several months putting this game together and I'm very happy with the results. I hope you are too.

I would like to thank all those from touchArcade that helped but I would especially like to thank Prab who's thoughtful help and dedication was amazing. I cannot imagine how much harder this would have been without his help. Thanks Prab.
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Game Impressions

Thanks for the kind words Jef

Here's a copy of my review on iTunes, but before that, let me just summarize by saying that I recommend Mondrian for two reasons:
  1. Some of its game elements are pretty unique and I have not seen them in other games in the genre: 1) black tiles (cant be moved), 2) numbered tiles (must move the exact number of steps), 3) color changing tiles change to the color of the last tile it touches, and finally 4) merging tiles will occupy the same space as similarly colored tiles.
  2. Mondrian has a clean modern art style with humorous witty dialogues and is pretty challenging from start to finish.

Quote:
There are a lot of blocked inspired games on the AppStore, many rave about graphics, many are bloated with hundreds or thousands of levels, but I say few if not none can be proud to have the level of humor, style and challenge that Mondrian has. Some game elements in Mondrian, I've never seen in other games before.

Mondrian presents you with the wit and art of the ghostly Piet Mondrian. Apparently he has lost all his paintings an it's up to you to help him find and unscramble them so that he can move on from limbo. He's not always the most thankful chap, but you'll get used to his wit and will find his words to be quite humorous. I often skip narratives in games, but Mondrian is just at a whole other level.

Mondrian takes you on a journey around the world (yes, the last screenshot of the game is actually a map of the world -- cool huh ) from Canada, Mexico, through Egypt, Australia and many more, finally ending in USA. Each country has you solving a different set of puzzles and this is where Mondrian stands out from the rest: Mondrian does not offer you thousands of puzzles, but the puzzles that are offered will definitely be challenging enough for serious puzzle fans. You start easy but are quickly introduced to the other fantastic game elements:

1) black tiles (cant be moved), 2) numbered tiles (must move the exact number of times), 3) color changing tiles change to the color of the last tile it touches, and finally 4) merging tiles will occupy the same space as similarly colored tiles.

The combination of the different game elements in the levels will send you for one awesome journey.

For added replay value, the levels also have a par for number of moves so you can redo them later if you'd like to better your score.

All in all, the game elements, the art style, the humor and the challenge that Mondrian brings to the table is just fabulous. This is one puzzle game that is worth every cent of 2.99.

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG

01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Game looks kewl. Scoped it out this morning.

Tweeted ur message, but I don't do facebook.

Good luck with your game!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
This game looks awesome and cant wait to try it! I tweeted and became a fan on Facebook!

Im thelioness32!

Sandi
01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Any more impressions yet? I'd love to try this, this game seems to have style. Does the solved puzzle resemble the real painting?

Challenge me on Gamecenter: tblrsa
App-Echo - Your place for German iOS App and Game Reviews
Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by tblrsa; 01-02-2010 at 07:48 AM.
01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
This is absolutely superb - I really love the game. Be warned though, it can get really hard quite quickly (either that or I'm a bit thick!). Plays really nicely, extremely polished. I love it.

Jamie.
01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
need more impressions
01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
You're not thick

No badmanj, you're not thick. :-)

As Prab can attest to, these puzzles can get quite hard. They appear very simple, but a couple of my beta testers told me that mondrian is one of the hardest puzzle games they had played.

If anyone gets stuck you can ask for help on the facebook fan page, or send me an email.
01-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Okay guys, just bought this and had a quick play. This game is highly polished, the puzzles are getting hard very soon, so it should provide a great challenge for puzzle experts. As in any good puzzle game, more game elements (Black and Grey Blocks, Blocks with Counters) are getting introduced as you progress. You are not left in the dark though, Mondrian himself explains every new element as it arrives. He also provides hints on some of the levels, whereas others have to be solved on your own.

This game is definately one of the harder puzzle games out there, so anyone up for a tough challenge should pick this one up.

Challenge me on Gamecenter: tblrsa
App-Echo - Your place for German iOS App and Game Reviews
Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by tblrsa; 01-02-2010 at 02:19 PM.
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Our Second Video!!!!

Here is our second video for mondrian:

Last edited by jefarmstrong; 01-02-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: switched to hd version