★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Cube v1.6 Update This week?

01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Cube v1.6 Update This week?

For the Cube fans

After playing the recent v1.5 update It became quickly apparent that the rifle was no longer able to be used.....which stunk

After a quick e-mail to Fernligtning informing them of the bug, and a request of my own to add the ability to 180 screen flip the application, I'm happy to report a v1.6 has been submitted and will be appearing in the appstore shortly (few days).

17 Jan v1.6 What's New:
-Bug fix for selecting rifle
-Bug fix for working lightmap
-Added screenflip command (not yet known if this is a input command or a hardware function)

I've also requested the ability to play your own Ipod tracks while running the app for a possible future update. The dev hasn't got back to me about that feature yet but was very promt in my last e-mail in which after only two days the update was submitted with the new features.

If anyone would like more info on Cube and it's upcoming development you could always check out fernlightning.com
01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
sweet!

01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Faster

One very MASSIVE problem is that the game is way to slow. It lags so much that you cant enjoy it.
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRrokz View Post
One very MASSIVE problem is that the game is way to slow. It lags so much that you cant enjoy it.
Have you played it since the last update?
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
The v1.5 DSMP map mode now runs at 17-23 fps on average with multiple entities on screen. Which is a big step from v1.4, & is concidered "playable" to most whom enjoy the title. However couldn't hurt to be a touch faster.

While the v1.5 update helped the fps issue Cube always had, it's SP map mode is still rather unplayable.

Last edited by RedStaR; 01-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.
01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Is this 'screenflip command' one that rotates the display if you turn the device 180º? Or is it one that swaps the controls to the opposite sides of the screen. I really hope it's the latter, as Cube really needs an option to put the aiming pad on the left of the screen. This way it's more like traditional a console FPS control layout.
01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
Is this 'screenflip command' one that rotates the display if you turn the device 180º? Or is it one that swaps the controls to the opposite sides of the screen. I really hope it's the latter, as Cube really needs an option to put the aiming pad on the left of the screen. This way it's more like traditional a console FPS control layout.

The Screen Flip is for rotating the display. I requested it because with Iphone the headphone jack is on the bottom left corner and jabs into your palm....when using headphones.
I wish more devs would would make screen flip because some devs write on itouch and others write on iphone. In short I just wish they would develop with both devices in mind.

The screen Flip your refering to is also a very good idea that not only Cube should offer...but alot of apps. Somehow those particular hardware options that should be a comforting standard are commonly overlooked.

Last edited by RedStaR; 01-18-2009 at 10:44 PM.
01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStaR View Post
T
While the v1.5 update helped the fps issue Cube always had, it's SP map mode is still rather unplayable.
I don't know, having spent quite a bit of time with it since 1.5 I've become quite fluent with the controls and am now able to progress through quite a number of the SP maps. I would be the first to agree that it is not perfect but since the update I am certainly getting more of my needed FPS fix from Cube than a couple of other flawed attempts at the genre that I wasted good money on.
01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I was thinking about the fps speed issue. Quick question, is there enough in the iphones 620MHz (I hear it's clocked down to 400 and something Mhz) processor to speed up the fps?

And they'll release 1.6 now? I would think they would have found a way by now to jack it up to the right speed imho. It's a great free demo/game, I didn't have any problems after I got used to the interface. I just hope the game hits the right chord and we will be fragging each other via wifi multiplayer.

MacBookPro 17" 2.33, 23" LCD, Ipod Touch 1st Gen- JB'd, Iphone 3g - not JB'd----yet.
01-18-2009, 11:09 PM
A little off topic here but...

Does anybody know how to run a Cube server?

On the fernLightning website, it says:

Quote:
multiplayer: “different protocol”, no servers - this port is intended as a technology demo. You can download the standard Cube source and run a server from the desktop if you need.
By downloading "the standard Cube source" does it mean the source for iPod version of Cube or the source for the computer version?

Can anyone that has successfully run a Cube server give me instructions on how they did it?