★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Fritz Online Module now available on the AppStore! Get it now and play the online features on Fritz on a standalone application!

To celebrate this release, the prize of Fritz Chess will have a discount of 30%!

====================================
Follow us on twitter: twitter.com/fritziphone

Also you can give us feedback about the product on facebook: http://bit.ly/zwHXw
====================================

After becoming the best chess software worldwide on its own merits, the amazing version for iPhone and iPod touch of Fritz Chess is finally here.

Deep Fritz is more powerful than Deep Blue

These words were said by the World Champion Vladimir Kramnik. Fritz beat him on 2006. As well, Fritz has beaten other chess master players as the legendary Garry Kasparov.And now the version of Fritz Chess for iPhone and iPod Touch is finally available! This edition of Fritz Chess invites you to discover a new way to understand the most traditional worldwide board game. Considered for a lot of people as an art, a science or even a psychic sport, the chess you will discover in Fritz Chess is all this and lots more. However, its main feature is that it is a funny and exciting game easy to learn, but difficult to dominate.

Both beginners (who will find an exclusive system of help) and the advanced players will agree saying that Fritz Chess is definitely the best chess game ever.

A two players mode is included!

REVIEWS:

[..] I can easily say that its the greatest and best-looking chess game currently available in the App Store. - FingerGaming

Main features:

- Online Multiplayer
- Strongest chess engine on the appstore
- Spectacular UI
- Intuitive and very easy to use
- Historic matches database with 100000+ matches.
- PGN import
- Figurine notation option
- Fully configurable exclusive fritz help system
- Review mode during a game
- Infinite analysis with memory function
- Board setup feature
- Send games via email
- Fritz behaviour configuration
- "Shake to undo move" feature
- Drag & drop and tap-tap piece movement
- Different chess boards and music
- 2 players mode on the same iPhone
- 2 players board autoflip mode
- Fully configurable Blitz, Long and Without Clock game modes
- Openings book with great variety of movements and integrated monitoring
- Load/Save game with WYSIWYG interface
- Autosave system

NEW IN VERSION 1.1:

- Infinite analysis in game review
- Send game by e-mail (PGN) feature
- Fritz resign and accept draw behaviour configuration
- Fritz level configurable during game play
- Minor UI improvements
- Enhanced autosave
- Threefold repetition detection bugfix

NEW IN VERSION 1.2:

- Drag & drop feature.
- Improved infinite analysis. Now it remembers the best result for each move.
- Infinite analysis progress indicator.

NEW IN VERSION 1.3:
- Infinite analysis minor bugfixing
- Setup board enpassant captures and usability improved
- Fixed PGN export when board setup was done

* The service to access the online database will be provided free by Blit Software.

* The online multiplayer service is provided by Blit Software. The service is provided for free but Blit Software can change it to a payment service at any time without prior notice.
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
im not much of a ches guy... sorry

12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Did anyone compare the recent versions of these chess apps? As there are Fritz, Glaurung, Hiarcs...
12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
this app makes a lot of bold claims. how about prove it?

maybe the app beat the champs because the app doesn't work, or it cheats?

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Is this a good non-free chess game as far as what's found in the appstore?

I recognize the fritz name, so I'm assuming its solid?

Please join me over at http://www.goodgameforum.com a new community for mature gamers!
12-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubts even here View Post
Did anyone compare the recent versions of these chess apps? As there are Fritz, Glaurung, Hiarcs...
There have been some tests:
- iPhone Chess apps: Glaurung vs HIARCS round 1
- Iphone matches: fritz vs shredder

I've played against all 3 engines. Hiarcs is probably the strongest, and Fritz is the 2nd strongest. Glaurung is great, and it's free, but, strategically, it doesn't play as well as Hiarcs or Fritz.

Fritz is my favorite because it's (currently) the most affordable chess app capable of playing at grandmaster levels, and it looks better than any of the other chess apps.

Last edited by tsharpfilm; 12-31-2009 at 05:09 PM.
12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
this app makes a lot of bold claims. how about prove it?

maybe the app beat the champs because the app doesn't work, or it cheats?
Chess matches between champions and computer programs, are both well documented and about as much talked about in chess circles as champions vs champions. - And more often than not, both transmitted and transcriped to the internet. In any event, a little breakthrough of Fritz history:

Morsch and his friend Ed Schrder produced a chess program in the early 1980s. In the early '90s, the German company ChessBase asked Morsch to write the Fritz chess programs (called Knightstalker in the USA). In 1995, Fritz 3 won the World Computer Chess Championship in Hong Kong, surprisingly beating a prototype version of Deep Blue.

In 2002, Deep Fritz drew the Brains in Bahrain match against the classical World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik 44.

In November 2003, X3D Fritz, a version of Deep Fritz with a 3D interface, drew a four-game match against Garry Kasparov.

On June 23, 2005, in the ABC Times Square studios, the AI Accoona Toolbar, driven by a Fritz 9 prototype, drew against the then FIDE World Champion Rustam Kasimdzhanov.

From 25 November-5 December 2006 Deep Fritz played a six game match against Kramnik in Bonn. Fritz was able to win 42. In this match, Kramnik blundered away game 2, allowing a mate in one.

On the November 3, 2007 SSDF rating list, Fritz 10 placed fifth with a rating of 2856, five points below Junior 10.1, and 79 points below #1 ranked Rybka 2.3.1. Fritz 9.0 is thirteenth on the same list, rated 2803.

In the September 2009 edition of the CCRL rating list, Deep Fritz 11 placed third with an Elo rating of 3098.
12-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plast2 View Post
Chess matches between champions and computer programs, are both well documented and about as much talked about in chess circles as champions vs champions. - And more often than not, both transmitted and transcriped to the internet. In any event, a little breakthrough of Fritz history:

Morsch and his friend Ed Schrder produced a chess program in the early 1980s. In the early '90s, the German company ChessBase asked Morsch to write the Fritz chess programs (called Knightstalker in the USA). In 1995, Fritz 3 won the World Computer Chess Championship in Hong Kong, surprisingly beating a prototype version of Deep Blue.

In 2002, Deep Fritz drew the Brains in Bahrain match against the classical World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik 4–4.

In November 2003, X3D Fritz, a version of Deep Fritz with a 3D interface, drew a four-game match against Garry Kasparov.

On June 23, 2005, in the ABC Times Square studios, the AI Accoona Toolbar, driven by a Fritz 9 prototype, drew against the then FIDE World Champion Rustam Kasimdzhanov.

From 25 November-5 December 2006 Deep Fritz played a six game match against Kramnik in Bonn. Fritz was able to win 4–2. In this match, Kramnik blundered away game 2, allowing a mate in one.

On the November 3, 2007 SSDF rating list, Fritz 10 placed fifth with a rating of 2856, five points below Junior 10.1, and 79 points below #1 ranked Rybka 2.3.1. Fritz 9.0 is thirteenth on the same list, rated 2803.

In the September 2009 edition of the CCRL rating list, Deep Fritz 11 placed third with an Elo rating of 3098.

How are the logs of the algorithm checked to verify no cheating or glitches happened with the code? What I'm asking for is that there is some sort of accounting in place to validate the win.

also, i'm not trying to be hostile, I don't follow the chess articles/news/etc.. I'm just wondering how these things are checked.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
How are the logs of the algorithm checked to verify no cheating or glitches happened with the code? What I'm asking for is that there is some sort of accounting in place to validate the win.

also, i'm not trying to be hostile, I don't follow the chess articles/news/etc.. I'm just wondering how these things are checked.
How could one cheat in chess?
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubts even here View Post
How could one cheat in chess?
when you realize everything has a backdoor and can be cheated, you will be wiser

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat