★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Working Together to Create a Standardized "Joystick"!

12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Working Together to Create a Standardized "Joystick"!

Hey everyone. We have an idea for an iPhone app that requires a "joystick". Something like the iControlPad (google that if you have never seen it). But we don't want to produce a joystick and then have 10 different external control "joysticks" going around. That's why we would like to create a standard joystick. Something that everyone can use. If enough developers agree on creating a standard system right now, we can save lot's of hassle in the future.

So what were looking for:

- People who know how to get external accessories to "interact" with an iPhone/iPod Touch
- How to program/wire buttons and controls so the iPod will even recognize them
- People who can create an API that is available for everyone to use. Then you can just drag and drop a few files into your project, and then just use some simple code to detect button presses (ex. if (buttonApressed ==YES) {...})

We have a rough idea about what the product should look like:
- PSP-ish style
- it WILL have Left/Right shoulder buttons
- A D-Pad on the left
- 4 buttons on the right

Thats the very basic idea we have. The device will snap into the middle of the device, so it will kind of look like a PSP when the device is "docked".

If you have any experience or would like to be a part of this, please post! Also spread the link to this thread to other developers! Im surprised that NOBODY has made an external controller yet for the iPhone/iPod that works with App Store games!

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Is this legal? Dont mean to put you down but apple might not like it.

12-31-2009, 08:10 PM
So exactly like the iControlPad prototype except with shoulder buttons on the top?

12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Is this legal? Dont mean to put you down but apple might not like it.
Why would they incorporate support for external accessories in 3.0 and not allow this?
12-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Why would they incorporate support for external accessories in 3.0 and not allow this?
They did that? I didnt even know...
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Send a message via AIM to KGameLover1
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
They did that? I didnt even know...
12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymuzik3 View Post
But we don't want to produce a joystick and then have 10 different external control "joysticks" going around.
Why not? Competition is good for business.

Quote:
That's why we would like to create a standard joystick.
What you need is not a standard joystick, but a standard for joysticks. i.e. The minimum buttons they should have to be supported, the interface by which they will be used, etc. Basically, all the stuff your game will need to know to provide support.

FWIW, there is no way to shortcut the market competition. If peripheral controllers turn out to be a big thing for the market (which I somewhat doubt, to be perfectly honest) then someone will money and pull will manage to introduce a "must-have" device that is incompatible with all the other devices. The best you can expect to do is blunt the blow by having a standard interface which (if you're lucky) that device will support.
________
Vaaapp vaporizer

Last edited by thewiirocks; 02-17-2011 at 12:24 AM.
01-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Have you asked customers if they want an external joystick accessory?
01-02-2010, 11:30 AM
leave the physical controls to nintendo and sony imo. Every day more and more people are getting used to touch screen controls. Not to mention it requires more hand to eye coordination to operate such a platform.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I dont kno about any of u other guys but i think its a great idea but its exactly how u described icontrol pad!

What i would buy(since im a COD type of guy) would be a xbox 360-ish controller with 2 thumbsticks like for playing NOVA or maybe even Eliminate Pro or even Real Racing since im used to the r trigger being accelerate...

But we should wait til little kids want the ipod touch more than their nintendo ds or psp (hopefully in may heheh).

2 Dizturbing Appz Coming Out Soon 4 iDevice

Power Serj 'N' Hungry Girl
The Un-Famouz