★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

If you missed the pre-game buzz opportunity

01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
If you missed the pre-game buzz opportunity

Hi all!

I am new to this board, but I have been reading a lot over the past week. My partner, Psionic, just had his game released over Christmas, sooner than we'd expected. I am working with him to help promote his new game: Running With Scissors: Preseason.

It seems that we had fallen into a familiar developers trap, in that we missed a great opportunity to generate a lot of buzz around the game. Apple released the game for sale on teh 22nd, but it didn't show up in the "new releases" section until the 29th, which made things a little awkward on our end.

I have read in many of the posts that a big thing to do is generate BUZZ around your app, in teh forums, in review sites etc. Because my partner and I both have full time commitments (him more than me as he works full time and programs this project in his "spare" time) we didn't get around to doing much of the "pre" stuff. Which was silly, and uninformed, but there you go.

My question now is: what are some good strategies to get things moving? We have submitted to review sites and chosen to buy advertising on toucharcade (more for "brand recognition" than anything else).

Thanks so much! I look forward to "meeting" and learning from you.

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Send a message via AIM to KGameLover1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Hi all!

I am new to this board, but I have been reading a lot over the past week. My partner, Psionic, just had his game released over Christmas, sooner than we'd expected. I am working with him to help promote his new game: Running With Scissors: Preseason.

It seems that we had fallen into a familiar developers trap, in that we missed a great opportunity to generate a lot of buzz around the game. Apple released the game for sale on teh 22nd, but it didn't show up in the "new releases" section until the 29th, which made things a little awkward on our end.

I have read in many of the posts that a big thing to do is generate BUZZ around your app, in teh forums, in review sites etc. Because my partner and I both have full time commitments (him more than me as he works full time and programs this project in his "spare" time) we didn't get around to doing much of the "pre" stuff. Which was silly, and uninformed, but there you go.

My question now is: what are some good strategies to get things moving? We have submitted to review sites and chosen to buy advertising on toucharcade (more for "brand recognition" than anything else).

Thanks so much! I look forward to "meeting" and learning from you.
I love this game!

I think when you get Plus+ you should pay for ads on there too - and purchase space on AdMob.

And talk to Apple about advertising as well.

01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow! Glad to hear you like it. I've been lurking on the main thread, and was always glad to see your enthusiasm.
Are you familiar with what kind of advertising Apple provides?

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I think that you should contact a reviewer like appvee and give him a code so he reviews your app, many people watch his reviews in youtube so that is a big plus. Also you can make a contest for an itunes gift card so people get more interested in your game.

Those are some ideas.
01-01-2010, 07:38 PM
cool, I believe we have/are going to submit one to appvee. We're working on a new, not lame, video before we submit it to more reviewers.

I have about 15 places that I'm going to submit it to...

hmmmm... a contest eh? well, we'll see about that. We just did a contest for a week to give away promo codes (i believe you were a winner?) what would be the difference?

Follow us on Twitter
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
iphonedist.com

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
01-01-2010, 09:38 PM
i'm an end user and also reviews apps for fun and laughter
over the course of time, i have purchased over 1,000 apps
unless it is a game or conversion i am looking forward too
my honest opinion that i wont pay more than 99cents to try out a new game like yours
anything more than that, i'll just let it pass

---
check out my iphone apps blurbs at http://secentral.net/forum/index.php?topic=16512.0
01-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Glad to see that missing the pre-release "buzz" hasn't dampened your spirits for pushing your game - pre-release isn't the be-all and end-all of your marketing push. It can certainly help, but by its own definition it obviously isn't sustainable and should only be a part of a larger plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Something I see many other developers neglect is that there are media sources outside of the 'iPhone game' circles that may be interested in your projects. Kid-friendly games can look at family-oriented publications. Music games can try genre-based communities. Even local news editors might be interested in your story from a local angle if you can offer them something interesting.

You certainly won't get the same percentage of interested hits as you would from the more targeted source (ie. iPhone app sites), but it can help bring in a few extra eyes that you would have missed. Given that you're low on spare time however, this may not be the most efficient route for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia
I have about 15 places that I'm going to submit it to...
More more more! With RocketFuse, my initial list of websites to contact on release was over thirty, out of which I only got two hits. We got more with later pushes, but by then my contact spreadsheet was huge. =)

Good luck!

AnthonyS
Aussie App Sale - The Great Aussie App Giveaway is on now! Check our Twitter and Facebook for competition details. Ends Thursday 29th December 2011.
01-02-2010, 01:53 AM
I know my question is a bit off-topic from what you were asking, but I'm curious… When you said the app was approved on the 22nd but didn't go into 'new releases' until the 29th, was it put right at the front of the new releases or a few pages back? Do you have any idea why it wasn't put there on the 22nd?
01-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParadox View Post
I know my question is a bit off-topic from what you were asking, but I'm curious… When you said the app was approved on the 22nd but didn't go into 'new releases' until the 29th, was it put right at the front of the new releases or a few pages back? Do you have any idea why it wasn't put there on the 22nd?
It was probably the same thing that happened to my game, AquaWars. We got the approval email on the 22nd but the link didn't show up till the 23rd. The iTunes team then froze the release lists so the games that were released the 22nd/early 23rd stayed on top until the 28th. Then on the 28th they started the release lists back up so games with a date of the 23rd showed up for about an hour on top before being pushed back by the 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th.