★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do the games that entertain us really make profit?

01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Do the games that entertain us really make profit?

just wonder with so many games in appstore that entertain us numerous hours of gameplay, do they really bring the developers profit to keep them going to bring more games to us?

i wonder are there any developers that bring good game title decided not to design games anymore because of poor sales. just curious
01-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuslim View Post
just wonder with so many games in appstore that entertain us numerous hours of gameplay, do they really bring the developers profit to keep them going to bring more games to us?

i wonder are there any developers that bring good game title decided not to design games anymore because of poor sales. just curious
what do you think bud?

Twitter: @back2this

01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:

They work for fried chicken and beer iirc.

Game Center: Diligence
01-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:

thats a good question! i have always wondered that

they spent months and months developing a game for the iphone only to have it

1. not be good and collect dust or just not get out to the public even if it is a good game
2. be one like a "one hit wonder" (doodle jump, iblast moki, spider)
3. be from a company (ie, gameloft, EA) and have every one buy it just cuz its from a big name developer

unless you are one of those lucky few "one hit wonders", i really dont see how you make THAT much money from games... apple takes a 30% share of every purchase on the appstore too... so you only get 70% of what u make

Last edited by starmonkey101; 01-01-2010 at 06:54 PM.
01-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Doodle jump is NOT a one hit wonder. It has been in the top 50 since release!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
01-01-2010, 06:58 PM
so far not much news on sales of games. and i see a lot of cases where games are reduced in price within a week after they released.

this shows poor sales perhaps??
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
Doodle jump is NOT a one hit wonder. It has been in the top 50 since release!
yes it is a one hit wonder!!! what other great games has lima sky developed? (rhetorical question by the way!)
01-01-2010, 07:02 PM
i am interested to know the profit of doodle jump. i personally this is a good example to motivate others to do games.
01-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Doodle Jump Passes 1 Million Downloads already. means they made 700,000 profit?

[sourceof news]
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/12/...ion-downloads/
01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
i am interested to know the profit of doodle jump. i personally this is a good example to motivate others to do games.
trust me, there are plenty of people that develop games... however, there are not enough people to develop original games. most devs just expand on other genres. look a line-drawing for example. started with flight control, and from there, there have been more than 100 "copy-cats" (if i may) these do not make an original concept, but they expand and improve (although not often) on a particular thing. and to this day, flight control remains the best and the top selling line-drawing game in the appstore. we dont need more devs, we need more originality. spider is a great example. along with minisquadron, jet car stunts, and labyrinth

zombiville usa is another example of an original game. how many side scrolling shooters are now in the app store? a ton. and how many have succeeded zombiville as the most profitable side-scroller? none. although many may be better and more involved (ie, inkvaders is more captivating), zombiville continues to dominate the charts

~star

Last edited by starmonkey101; 01-02-2010 at 08:25 PM.