★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is Twitter worth it?

01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Is Twitter worth it?

Ok, so Twitter to me, thus far, has seemed pretty mundane, pointless and superficial. Can you really make a worthwhile following/connections on Twitter to make enough sales for your app?

Have people experienced any sort of measurable success that can be directly linked to Twitter.

I might have to bite the bullet and start Tweet-ing but wanted input first.

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
If people are interested in what you make and want to keep up with what you're doing, they'll follow you. A lot of the developers I follow talk about their personal lives exclusively and it's kind of pointless. You can use hash tags to try to get people to find out about you in the off chance they're searching for the topic you put up.

It's really a crap shoot. People are either trying to sell you something or using it as a diary (or re-tweeting everything they see). I use bit.ly to track who is clicking on links I put up so I can see what sort of reactions there are to posts but it's all kind of relative. Whether they do anything on the other side of a link is the same as advertising.

I say just use it, let it happen organically, and don't be a tool.

01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Twitter will cost you nothing short of maybe buying one of the premium clients for your phone (which cost what ,$3 maximum?), and will take you mere seconds a day to maintain. There's really not much reason to ignore it as an advertising avenue, regardless how silly you think it is.
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Twitter will cost you nothing short of maybe buying one of the premium clients for your phone (which cost what ,$3 maximum?), and will take you mere seconds a day to maintain. There's really not much reason to ignore it as an advertising avenue, regardless how silly you think it is.
+1 And for all your followers, it's a really easy way to get in touch with you and you to them.

The original blueskin.
Na'viy hapx.
01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
well, then. I will try not to be a tool. and get twitter happening soon.

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Couldn't have said that any better. It's basically free, non-time consuming advertising and it demonstrates your willingness to communicate with potential customers. It's win-win. Go for it.

Q

Quorlan
01-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Ever heard of Erik Qualman?
Watch one of his videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONGJLiK9g8
Quote:
The old media paradigm was PAY to PLAY.
Now you get back what you authentically put in.
You've got to be willing to PLAY to PLAY.
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Twitter is awesome. You start conversations with people, discuss various things and just update your current status.

The best thing is, it's not Facebook, where you have a profile which your family can track/view.

Twitter allows you to just be yourself as long as your family don't know your username.

I'm @WunDaii , and have great people who follow me, and I follow greater people.

Just my two cents.
01-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunDaii View Post
Twitter allows you to just be yourself as long as your family don't know your username.
xD yes nice
01-03-2010, 08:48 AM
3 words: PROMO CODE CONTESTS

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ