★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ***Only 24 hours left before this app is gone from the iTunes FOREVER.***
This is your last chance to get this game!!!

First in the series of interactive RPG books by Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone is finally available on iTunes.

Deep in the caverns beneath Firetop Mountain lies an untold wealth of treasure, guarded by a powerful Warlock or so the rumor goes. Several adventurers like yourself have set off for Firetop Mountain in search of the Warlocks hoard. None has ever returned. Do you dare follow them?

Part story, part game, this is an app with a difference one in which you become the hero! An iPhone or an iPod Touch are all you need to make you journey. YOU decide which route to take, which creatures to fight and which dangers to risk.

Features
Tap the on screen buttons to flip pages (No papercuts!)
Shake to roll the dice using the accelerometer
Inventory items selectable via touch-screen
Game-save feature allows you to retrace your steps
Beautifully painted illustrations

What's new in version 1.7

- Updated to work in iOS 4.3

Remember to check iTunes for other Fighting Fantasy gamebooks!

-Deathtrap Dungeon
-Citadel of Chaos
-Creatue of Havok
-City of Thieves
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Boy, does this bring back childhood memories. The books are excellent, hopefully this game does the series justice.

01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Was an instant buy, but then an instant facepalm... Why oh why does this require OS 3.1? Certainly not using CADisplaylink, which would only be necessary for action titles. There is no other compelling feature exposed in the 3.1 SDK to my knowledge, so why lose 50%+ of your potential sales pool?

Anyone who's missed my previous rants on this- I keep my iPhone at 3.0 intentionally for development compatability testing, not due to some fear or ignorance of 3.1+...

Please recompile and target 3.0 so that I and many other interested people can buy

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I'll TOFTT... I'll let you know in a bit how it is. I loved the Fighting Fantasies as a kid... if these guys bring Steve Jackson's "Sorcery" quadrilogy to the iPhone as an app, I'd cry manly tears of pride.
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Boy, does this bring back childhood memories. The books are excellent, hopefully this game does the series justice.
Same here. This was the first book I got in this series. Different cover picture than the one in the app though. Just found Sword of the Samurai and Dead of Night in my cupboard but no Warlock of Firetop, shame. Think I might have to check this out.

I see it says shake to roll dice. I'd rather they just added a button. Things like that always grate.

Hope they bring the rest of them to the iphone if they are well made. Must be about over 50 of them though!

A Friend In Need Is A Pest

Plus+:PrivateJoker
01-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Almost died when I thought it said Final Fantasy...

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow. I used to play these back in the 80s, and loved 'em. They were like Choose Your Own Adventure books that I read when I was even younger, but with D&D elements allowing you to actually play the book. I don't know that you can really go home again with this type of game, but it's a great blast of nostalgia seeing them brought back to life.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow very cool - I too used to read/play these back in the day - I still have the few I played too. My favorite was House of Hell - I never finished it, but it was always fun.

For anyone who doesn't know what they are - they're basically Choose Your Own Adventure books (non-linear stories in which you choose which path you take) with some VERY basic D+D elements added (rolling up your character and using dice for combat with monsters and other types of encounters).
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post

I see it says shake to roll dice. I'd rather they just added a button. Things like that always grate.
Just bought it and you can tap the screen instead of shaking to roll dice.

Only problem for me is that it crashes after I win a fight.
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
Just bought it and you can tap the screen instead of shaking to roll dice.

Only problem for me is that it crashes after I win a fight.
Just killed the Snake-In-The-Box; didn't crash... so it's at least not a systemic "every time" thing.