★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What should be awared when drafting the game description?

01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to ylyu5
What should be awared when drafting the game description?

Hello everyone~

I have been reading to this board for quite a long time. Actually I am now working as a junior iphone game programmer in a company. I read the post here everyday and the experiences shared by indie developers ignited my enthusiasm in developing my own game and start my own career.

I started to develop my own game in my leisure time. The game is called Uggy, it is a simple game in which player had to tilt the device to control a tiny creature to travel downwards. There are items to help the creature go deeper.

And now it comes to the time of considering the details about the submission stage. I am thinking what should be included in the description of the game. And seems there are not much threads talking about drafting the description of the game. Can anyone tell me what should be carefully aware when drafting the description? Greatly appreciate for your experience sharing! Thanks a lot!
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,966
Make sure you describe how to play the game, even if it's simple gameplay - sometimes it is hard to tell from screenshots.

Make a video and post it on YouTube - mention this (and post the link) in your description.

Make sure your screenshots are upright (i.e. rotated if this is a landscape game.)

If you are using any online scoring system, be sure to mention it. Online scoring adds a lot to a game.

Since the new App Store only displays a line or two at first, make sure you say something relevant in there for the people that don't click on [more] and just look at the screenshots.

Screenshot #1 should be gameplay, not the title, menu, highscore, etc.

Make sure there are no typos or non-displayable characters.

Take full advantage of the nice folks here at Touch Arcade - there is even a developers only forum, you should get into that so you can pick the brains of other developers.

Caveat Emptor: I am not a dev or anything, just someone who plays a lot of games, my advice may not be the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: the 56th realm of existence
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Make sure you describe how to play the game, even if it's simple gameplay - sometimes it is hard to tell from screenshots.

Make a video and post it on YouTube - mention this (and post the link) in your description.

Make sure your screenshots are upright (i.e. rotated if this is a landscape game.)

If you are using any online scoring system, be sure to mention it. Online scoring adds a lot to a game.

Since the new App Store only displays a line or two at first, make sure you say something relevant in there for the people that don't click on [more] and just look at the screenshots.

Screenshot #1 should be gameplay, not the title, menu, highscore, etc.

Make sure there are no typos or non-displayable characters.

Take full advantage of the nice folks here at Touch Arcade - there is even a developers only forum, you should get into that so you can pick the brains of other developers.

Caveat Emptor: I am not a dev or anything, just someone who plays a lot of games, my advice may not be the best...
a gameplay vid is bloody crucial

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: App Tech Studios, USA
Posts: 1,363
If it hasn't already been said, Apple does not like it when you put a currency in worldwide App descriptions. If you have a sale, just say "50% off!", not "Marked down to $1.99!".
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
#5
Just be as clear and concise as possible, people want to know exactly what it is as quickly as possible. As the other posters said, a youtube video is essential!

Also - if English isn't your first language, run it by someone before you put it up. A lot of apps are plagued by weird or just incomprehensible descriptions.
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to ylyu5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
a gameplay vid is bloody crucial
Totally agree!
And thanks drelbs for the suggestions from a player's view!!
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to ylyu5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSpentYouth View Post
If it hasn't already been said, Apple does not like it when you put a currency in worldwide App descriptions. If you have a sale, just say "50% off!", not "Marked down to $1.99!".
That's mean I might be rejected if I put a currency in the descriptions?
Thanks WellSpentYouth, I will be careful when handling this issue
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to ylyu5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
Just be as clear and concise as possible, people want to know exactly what it is as quickly as possible. As the other posters said, a youtube video is essential!

Also - if English isn't your first language, run it by someone before you put it up. A lot of apps are plagued by weird or just incomprehensible descriptions.
Yes in fact I came from Hong Kong and English is not my first language
I'm not sure if my English is clear enough
Do you think that I should find someone to help me do the translation?
01-05-2010, 06:47 AM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 33
It can never hurt to have a native speaker look over what you're trying to say. I've been able to understand you fine, but there are a few places where you've worded things somewhat awkwardly. They make sense - but they're not something you'd want published, exactly.

Chelsea Howe - producer, designer, musician on Tipoli ~ One little button, unlimited possibilities.
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to ylyu5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojalpa View Post
It can never hurt to have a native speaker look over what you're trying to say. I've been able to understand you fine, but there are a few places where you've worded things somewhat awkwardly. They make sense - but they're not something you'd want published, exactly.
Thanks!
Then I must find someone to help me do the proof-reading