★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Featured on the App Store as New and Noteworthy! #4 Simmulation Game in the App Store.

Fast, Furious, Massive Space Combat for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch in 3D! Universal app, with high-rez graphics optimized for iPad and iPhone4's retina display.

What do people who've played it have to say about Battle for Vesta?

MacWorld says, "the graphics are buttery smooth... the controls are simple and intuitive... Battle for Vesta offers up solid space combat"

Players say:

"This is just a sweet little space shooter with an early 80's retro feel. I really got sucked into the game to the pont that I could hear John Williams playing behind me and Artoo chirping in my ear."

"Pure, unadulterated retro goodness! Imagine Asteroids. Now imagine Asteroids with enemmies. Now imagine Asteroids with enemies in 3-D. If that doesn't sound appealing to you (fool!) then Battle for Vesta may not be for you."

"What sets Battle for Vesta apart is how it adds depth to an otherwise familiar shooter game because of its control scheme... you hurtle into space and literally face the asteroids and ships floating in the galaxy."

Battle for Vesta is a fully 3D space combat simulator set in an asteroid field. If you want a sci-fi adventure in your pocket that boots fast and let's you get right to playing, Battle for Vesta is for you.

The game features:
- Fast, retro cool 3D graphics
- Intuitive, accurate touch controls
- 3D sound effects and iPod playthrough (listen to your own music)
- Two gameplay modes: Story and Survival
- Automatic saved games in Story Mode
- Story Mode has 19 levels that never play the same twice
- Three difficulty levels: Easy, Medium, Hard
- Realistic AI for enemies and your wingmen
- Universal app
- Retina Display ready
- Resume where you left off from short interruptions

Battle for Vesta is unlike any other space shooter on the iPhone. It puts you in the cockpit of a starfighter to combat fleets of enemies alongside your wingmen. Lead your ships into massive battles in which your skills will determine the outcome!

Check out a video preview at:
http://www.battleforvesta.com/

John Harrison's comments:

Battle for Vesta v1.0.1 is out for $1.99. It contains the most requested feature update: pausing the game.

It is also back-compatible with OS 2.0, so users who haven't upgraded their OS can now play.

Also check out the icon design contest in the Promo Codes and Contests forum to learn how you can win a $25 iTunes gift certificate.

Grab it in the App Store, you know you love blasting asteroids and baddies in 3D.
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM
more promo codes

I just placed some promo codes online at Promo Dispenser. Get them while they're hot.

Also, I'm still looking for feedback on the game. If you have a feature that you think it is lacking let me know here in this thread. Based on TA feedback I've already changed the thrusters to be more powerful and I'm working on resuming a level after a quit event and trying some textures for the ships. Hope to have another update soon.

Developer of Battle for Vesta. Blog at InsightVR.

01-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Any chance you'll add accelerometer control? I like the simple polygon graphics but prefer a hands-off control scheme like other space shooters in the AppStore.
01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JindoFox View Post
Any chance you'll add accelerometer control? I like the simple polygon graphics but prefer a hands-off control scheme like other space shooters in the AppStore.
Personally I dislike accelerometer control as in my experience it doesn't have the precision needed for a space combat sim. For instance in Star Wars: Trench Run I think that the accelerometer (among other things) makes the dogfights pretty terrible. That said, I'm happy to add it as an option as several people have asked for it.

01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Just got the game today and am liking it a lot so far. I rated it on itunes and will let you know if I can think of any additions/features. Thanks.
01-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison View Post
Personally I dislike accelerometer control as in my experience it doesn't have the precision needed for a space combat sim. For instance in Star Wars: Trench Run I think that the accelerometer (among other things) makes the dogfights pretty terrible. That said, I'm happy to add it as an option as several people have asked for it.
Cool, thanks for listening. I think the tradeoff of precision for visibility is worth it, especially when playing on a small screen. I'd rather look at your graphics than my thumbs.
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JindoFox View Post
Cool, thanks for listening. I think the tradeoff of precision for visibility is worth it, especially when playing on a small screen. I'd rather look at your graphics than my thumbs.
Not a problem. In the next version I'll have two additional options:
- accelerometer steering OR swip to steer
- throttle on the thrusters OR button thruster

If anybody has other suggestions for the next version get them in quick. I hope to submit to apple today or tomorrow.

01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Love the graphics on this game. I've found the thruster somewhat awkward but it sounds like you're already addressing that. Only other thing I can think of is a save/continue feature (especially for the tutorial; still not sure if I've done the whole thing).

Keep up the good work. Hope this game gets some love.
01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
Love the graphics on this game. I've found the thruster somewhat awkward but it sounds like you're already addressing that. Only other thing I can think of is a save/continue feature (especially for the tutorial; still not sure if I've done the whole thing).

Keep up the good work. Hope this game gets some love.
What I'd love to have is a complete save/restore on quit, but what I'm aiming for right now is to save the last state at which you entered a level and allow you to start on any level that you've gotten to previously.

I also hope that the game gets some love. The only thing I know to do at this point is to ask people that have gotten it to please post a descriptive review of it on the App Store. Posting to other forums would be great as well. I really don't have much of a marketing budget and my attempts to get it reviewed by the iPhone gaming sites seem to have all been ignored.

01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I've notices that space games that even look remotely cool get ignored.