★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

what is it about matching three gems?

01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
what is it about matching three gems?

Honestly, what about matching three of anything in a row seems so appealing to the human mind? Certainly this is not something that has come through any evolutionary thing. Who figured out "man, people LOVE matching three of something shiney in a row! we're rich!"

What do you find appealing about it? Personally, I can't figure it out. I only know I love it.

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Nothing whatsoever, match-3 games literally make me want to tear my hair out. I'm not exaggerating either, I find it so incredibly dull and tedious I simply can't bear to do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, hell I'd be lucky to make it that far. It seems quite popular with people who "aren't really gamers" though, like young girls and bored Facebook people.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. It's pretty much for people who never game, although there are a few who still play it. I play Bejeweled very casually, just pull it out if I got bored. But then I got the only Match 3 game that will ever actually matter to a real gamer like me, PUZZLE QUEST! That game is actually really fun and pretty deep, it's surprising what they did with the pretty lame match 3 game system.
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Some match 3 games are good, most aren't.

Azkend holds the title of the first game I bought immediately after playing the lite version.

I really wanted to like puzzle quest, but the lite version kept crashing on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Midian said it right: it's a simple one-function game for people who aren't serious about gaming. Still think bejeweled is the best one on the app store (maybe because it's just a classic...)
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. It's pretty much for people who never game, although there are a few who still play it. I play Bejeweled very casually, just pull it out if I got bored. But then I got the only Match 3 game that will ever actually matter to a real gamer like me, PUZZLE QUEST! That game is actually really fun and pretty deep, it's surprising what they did with the pretty lame match 3 game system.
Yeah I did enjoy puzzle quest more than the usual match-3 games, lots of tactics and gameplay variants involved in that. Never actually finished it though.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Match 3s definitely are ranked lower on my favorite type of game, but I do still enjoy to play the only ones I have on my Touch; Charmed & hexter.
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
the only one I ever really played is Trism
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know what it is about them, but I really like playing Match 3 games. Over time, the games have become a little more strategic as you need to figure out how to remove certain items from the board. Or get a match to unlock an item.

I have a good background in PC gaming, too. Went through Half-Life, the whole Jedi Knight series, many of the Age of Empires games and a bunch of other games...I was a big PC gamer for quite a number of years.
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
not for "real gamers" what classifies a real gamer then?

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter