★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jeremy Curcio
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 1.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Black Out is a remake addicting puzzle game originally brought to you by Tiger Electronics in the 1990's. The object of the game is to, turn all the lights off in the fewest moves possible.

In Black Out, when you tap a light it toggles its status, as well as the status of the four adjacent lights (up, down, left, right), from on to off or off to on.

Jeremy1026's comments:
Hello Touch Arcade!

I just wanted to share the news that 1026 Development's 'Black Out' will be free for the next 7 days. We have received word from the powers that be that a copyright claim has been made against our application, so we are giving it away until we have to pull it from the store. Help us stick it to the man by downloading our app for free before we have to pull it.

We don't have the available capital to fight this legal battle, our loss is your gain.

Black Out is available in the iTunes App Store by visiting the following link. iTunes Store.
01-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to Bluellama1 Send a message via Yahoo to Bluellama1 Send a message via Skype™ to Bluellama1
Thank you for the free app!

"Send a noob to kill a noob."
TFW Hoenn actually confirmed

01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
lol, what did you expect? did you get a license from Tiger?

Maybe if you didn't blatantly fly in the face of the laws, trying to capitalize on the company's IP to get sales...

that said, I'm sticking it to the man right now. thanks. Just in the future make your own innovative ideas and maybe you'll make some money yes?

Now Playing: , Civilization Rev for iPad, Hero Academy, Sonic Racing, Kingdom Rush, Dungeon Raid, Where's my Where's My Water updates?
01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingsama View Post

Maybe if you didn't blatantly fly in the face of the laws, trying to capitalize on the company's IP to get sales...

that said, I'm sticking it to the man right now. thanks. Just in the future make your own innovative ideas and maybe you'll make some money yes?
Actually, the copyright claim didn't come from Tiger Electronics. Thanks for your educated opinion.
01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Don't tell me Langdell has also copyrighted the words "Black" and "Out" now... he is out to destroy the world!

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
01-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingsama View Post

I'm 99% sure that game was called "lights(lites) out"... And what kind of bs rant was that? Honest people get "effed in the A" all the time by companies out to make a quick buck... Don't downplay the time/effort a developer goes through to make an app. It takes a lot more time than most people know.

@Jeremy 1026: that sucks man, but like I said, this stuff happens a lot more than it should. Don't give up though, because then 'the man' REALLY wins
01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Help us stick it to the man by downloading our app for free before we have to pull it. We don't have the available capital to fight this legal battle, our loss is your gain.
just one word of advice - this isn't very smart.

the company "claiming copyright infringement" could see this as negligence on your side and use it against you in a court of law (even if you don't want to have a legal battle; they still can sue you) - just making it free doesn't avoid copyright issues.. trust me, i've been there done that.

it looks like a simple "lights out" clone.. i mean; you cannot copyright a game concept. did you steal the graphics from somewhere?

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

someone can say that they own the trademark for "black out" or they have the rights to the artwork that you have used - but it is NOT illegal to have a game "similar" in nature. then again; stoneloops of jurassica escapade.. i think you should just write a simple email to apple citing the above site; if you are in fact being accused of copying a game idea.

the game reminds me of the first jailbroken game released (lights out)

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series