★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Frima
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 26.7 MB
  • Version: 2.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: Get your Float on!
How many floats can you join and connect while avoiding collisions ? Heres your chance to create and navigate an arcade-style parade. Try your skill at this challenging arcade/strategy game inspired from the 56th edition of the Quebec Winter Carnival.

Features:
- Connect as many spawning floats as possible.
- Please randomly gathering crowds for bonus points by navigating your Parade in front of them
- Scrolling map for more complex gameplay
- Global Leaderboard and Rankings

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Anyone TOFTT

01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson15 View Post
Anyone TOFTT
Not yet but I hope to tonight. I asked the developers for a little more information on the game and was told that you score points for joining floats to the main float and by passing in front of the crowds until one of these constantly spawning floats smashes into you. Having not played it yet I'm not sure what the difference is between bumping to join and bumping in a way to cause a collision but, if forced to guess, I'm thinking it's the angle the contact is made (joining behind is good and broadsiding is bad). They also mentioned how they're already working on an update that will include a "Mission Mode" where the player will have to achieve certain level objectives like making a chain of a certain size or even counter intuitive stuff like playing level where you try to AVOID the crowds as much as possible. Lastly they mentioned that the controls might take a bit to get the hang of at first so please don't give up right off in frustration but give it a good college try and you'll hopefully soon appreciate their chosen method of control.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson15 View Post
Anyone TOFTT
I grabbed it last night and am loving it so far.

Don't light its fluffy sounding subject matter fool you, this is a pretty tough game!

The concept couldn't be simpler. You have a scrolling map of the city of Quebec, which just so happens to be (for the sake of the game) like some giant Pac-Man maze (all one lane roads with 90 degree turns) and your mission is threefold:

1) Entertaining the crowds.
2) Joining floats together.
3) Keeping floats from colliding into one another (one crash and the game is over).

You start with your single head float (looks like a train) and simply by passing by any of the crowds you'll receive a point. You control his route by tapping and dragging a line from him through the streets ahead of him (it can be a bit tricky to do this at first and you have to be careful when routing around corners as it is easy to just cut the route off right there).

Soon after starting, however, you'll be alerted to other floats entering the map. You can route these floats anywhere you want as well but having them pass by crowds on their own won't score you any points. Your mission with these newly arriving guys is to simply join them together. You join floats by drawing a path from the front of any float to the back of another. You'll know you've setup a connection when the route changes from its normal white path to yellow and the car joining up suddenly speeds up to many times its normal speed and links itself to the chain. Every train added to a chain is worth a point.

You can chain those incoming stragglers together, or better yet, chain them onto your growing main float (any floats connected to the head float) for the game's big points. Joining trains to the head float only gains you a single point but the big points kick in when you pass the crowds as you'll receive points equal to the number of floats in your main chain when you pass them. So that lowly 1 point for passing a crowd with your head float all on its own is now worth 6 points if you are dragging some 5 floats behind you.

While this all sounds so simple, as these float chains get longer and more floats starts roaming about the map it gets harder to keep them all under control. While you can direct all of the floats in the game you can't ever ask them to stop or turn around in their lane, they can only move forward. Also you can only link a float to the back end of another float, coming in from the side, or trying to line yourself up with the back of a float already in a chain will result in a crash ending the game. Also realize that you are responsible for all floats on the map and once things get more crowded you need to ensure that none of the newly arriving floats accidentally bump into one another (even if off screen and all the way across town from your main float).

My iTunes Reviews
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Parade Levels are currently being tested and balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
They also mentioned how they're already working on an update that will include a "Mission Mode" where the player will have to achieve certain level objectives like making a chain of a certain size or even counter intuitive stuff like playing level where you try to AVOID the crowds as much as possible.
We are in fact testing and balancing "levels" for Parade at the moment. These add multiple new dimensions to the game that are both fun and frustrating (In that good old' "Darn! I was so close" kinda way).

I just completed playing a level where I had to connect 2 detached sets of 12 floats without connecting anything to the head float. Was quite the challenge as i had to take care of 3 independent areas of the scrollable map. I had to attempt this 4 times before succeeding (Which is a lot considering I'm a part of the team working on the game).

We'll hopefully (Netrokid & Frima) be finished the integration of levels this week. Still need to work on some balancing and ensuring there is a logical progression but the update should be posted to the App Store sometime during the week of January 20th.

Thanks for the great review Lord Gek, should anyone else in the community have any comments to make about Parade, we'd love to hear them!

In the meantime- I'm challenging everyone to beat my high score of 429! After all what fun is gaming without a little competition here and there?
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrokid View Post
We are in fact testing and balancing "levels" for Parade at the moment. These add multiple new dimensions to the game that are both fun and frustrating (In that good old' "Darn! I was so close" kinda way).

I just completed playing a level where I had to connect 2 detached sets of 12 floats without connecting anything to the head float. Was quite the challenge as i had to take care of 3 independent areas of the scrollable map. I had to attempt this 4 times before succeeding (Which is a lot considering I'm a part of the team working on the game).

We'll hopefully (Netrokid & Frima) be finished the integration of levels this week. Still need to work on some balancing and ensuring there is a logical progression but the update should be posted to the App Store sometime during the week of January 20th.

Thanks for the great review Lord Gek, should anyone else in the community have any comments to make about Parade, we'd love to hear them!

In the meantime- I'm challenging everyone to beat my high score of 429! After all what fun is gaming without a little competition here and there?
Yowch, I have yet to break 44, but I'm getting better. Just as you had warned me, Netrokid, it takes a few games to really get a feel for creating the longer paths to link floats and learning how to quickly scroll around the city.

I love the multi-tasking challenge of trying to ensure no stray floats collide with each other while on the other hand trying to conduct your main parade contingent (whatever is connected to the head float) in such as way so as to travel by as many randomly spawning crowds as possible (a parade is pretty meaningless if nobody is watching it)!

My iTunes Reviews
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
LordGek thanks for an excellent review

I'll be d/l this after bit and I'll come back with some impressions.

Richard

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Game Impressions

Here's what I just submitted to iTunes and now I'm going to have to maybe change it. I just reread the app description and it says there are online leaderboards!

Had to edit that: hey mods, why are all the *'s showing up for every space?

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up

Last edited by rich_952000; 01-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Here's what I just submitted to iTunes and now I'm going to have to maybe change it. I just reread the app description and it says there are online leaderboards!

Had to edit that: hey mods, why are all the *'s showing up for every space?
It does have online leaderboards, I'm somewhere in the low 20's last time I checked with my 44.

But, uhm, where is the impression, Rich 952000?

My iTunes Reviews
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I had copied and pasted my iTunes review and when I submitted it every space turned into *** so there was like a hundred of em.