★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why is this "Warning: Highly Addictive" thing catching on?

01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Why is this "Warning: Highly Addictive" thing catching on?

It seems that lately, for every five apps out there, 3 of them have in their description a "disclaimer" or "warning" about the game being highly addictive.

The first time I noticed this was Doodle Jump, and it didn't bother me to see one or two other games along the line using it, but now it seems to be catching on way too fast, and is being put on way too many games lately.

Does putting that "disclaimer" really boost sales that much? I don't see why it would, but people are strange, so who knows
01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
doesn't really do anything for me at all. they all copied from Doodle jump eh

01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think I've ever been addicted to a game that claimed to be addictive to be honest.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to tzual
GeoSpark has the same thing...

Openfeint: Tzual12
GameCenter, Plus+, AGON, Crystal: Tzual

Feel free to add me
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I don't think I've ever been addicted to a game that claimed to be addictive to be honest.
neither have I, not even Doodle jump.
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAllEverybody View Post
neither have I, not even Doodle jump.
yea, doodle jump is overrated
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I believe the developers of Doodle Jump posted somewhere saying that their sales really started to take off when they added the addiction warning, and like most things in the App Store as soon as someone heard that something was successful it got duplicated over and over and over and over...
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
I guess it sort of is like when a game boasts about being very addictive, I want to dislike it more since I'd rather have modest developers instead of braggart ones. Some sort of psychological thing. Either that, or my expectations increase into a skeptical sort, and I end up disliking what other wise might have been a solid game. I love Canabalt, but if it bragged about being addictive in it's title, I probably wouldn't find it all that great. Just my two cents anyway.
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I sort of take it literally and so when it says 'Warning: Highly Addictive' I just think 'well, OK then, I won't buy it' and move on.

They are trying to do some sort of physiological thing where a man says to a kid 'don't press that button' and kid is then curios of why he should not press the button and ends up pressing it just to find out what happens.

For me it just puts me off the game.

www.oneclickmac.com - News, Reviews and Discussion on Mac App Store Gaming.

Latest Reviews:
RAGE Mafia II Doodle Fit
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I believe the developers of Doodle Jump posted somewhere saying that their sales really started to take off when they added the addiction warning, and like most things in the App Store as soon as someone heard that something was successful it got duplicated over and over and over and over...
and now it doesn't work anymore

it looked okay on Doodle jump but on the other games it's just been blatantly copied