★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Penguin Bounce is now FREE in the APP STORE!
-------------------------------------
Too hot in this sweltering summer? NO PROBLEM! COOL off with some penguin polar bear action in this exciting adventure jumping game.
For new users, Penguin Bounce is simply the best jumping game available, with both tilt AND touch controls and includes global highscores, adventures, power-ups and bosses!

When playing on touch controls, to get the highest score, keep your finger on the screen and drag it back and forth to control the penguin. Don't tap the screen! Try keeping your finger near the bottom of the screen too so you don't block the penguin.

Visit www.screensmudge.com to check out upcoming stuff and drop a line through our contact email if you want improvements or like the game.

Features:
-Global and Local high score rankings
-Touch and Tilt controls
-Use multi-touch controls to activate powerups to help your penguin avoid poisons and live through boss levels
-Convenient Pause button to save your ridiculously high score
-Graphics brought to you by the same artist who designed Stickwars

*Double tap home with in-game music muted to play music from your own library!

Powered by cocos2d

freud's comments:

Description

Penguin Bounce is a highly addictive adventure jumping game inspired by the game Winterbells. Try to take the penguin as high as he can go while avoiding pitfalls along the way to put your name on our global Top 10 scoreboard.

Visit http://www.screensmudge.com/penguinbounce/ to watch our exciting trailer!

Features:
-Global and Local high score rankings
-Touch and Tilt controls
-Use multi-touch controls to activate powerups to help your penguin avoid poisons and live through boss levels
-Convenient Pause button to save your ridiculously high score
-Graphics brought to you by the same artist who designed Stickwars

*Double tap home with in-game music muted to play music from your own library!

Coming Soon:
-New Bosses
-More power-ups
-More poisons

Powered by cocos2d

This is our first game. Please let us know what you guys think and post your feedback! Thanks.
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks, I got EWJ63X3NH9WW.

I got 6K9YW3H963PK thanks, I'll let you know what I think after trying it out.
Looks cute. Kinda like ezone's Scarecrow, instead it's a penguin.
I redeemed HTERTHJTXH6M.

Thanks!
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
9MFK4J767MJF thx!

Plus+: MiniMe ~ OF: Problem ~ Gameloft: Change ~ AGON: Negamaki
01-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Initial impression:

The addictive factor is definitely there, the controls take a bit to get used to but it's still an easy game to pick up and play.

Two minor annoyances however:
-The penguin's initial black color blends into the background, and it makes it difficult to focus on a bit..perhaps the background should be made a bit lighter?
-As a game that you can play multiple times in a row, it would be nice to save the most recently typed in name for high scores; having to reenter my name every time is annoying.

The potential is definitely there!
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
We decided to make the game free for the next couple days so please give it a try!
01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsbug View Post
Looks cute. Kinda like ezone's Scarecrow, instead it's a penguin.
I redeemed HTERTHJTXH6M.

Thanks!
It is also VERY similar to Elf.
01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I just bought this game after seeing this post. I've always been a big fan of Winterbells, and find these types of highscore games pretty entertaining.

I actually had a similar game, Kittenjump Lite, on my iPhone, already. While the game is nice, I think this game Penguin Bounce has some definite strengths over it. The landscape layout is much better for this type of game. While I can imagine why the developers of other games might make their games portrait (jumping game, up and down movement, etc), what makes this type of game interesting is the side-to-side movement, as you move to jump onto the different platforms/snowflakes/bells. I also don't especially like how the buttferflies change their y-position, but that's more a personal gripe (as well as the fact that I'm not a big cat-fan).

The game could use some improvements. I like the graphics, but the different "poison birds" only change the penguin's color (except for the size-changing ones). It'd be cool if there was some more interesting change (like a penguin with no eyes for blind, or something). I found that I didn't have much trouble seeing the penguin (gray on black), but I can see how people with far-sightedness might. In Winterbells, there is snow that randomly falls alongside the bells, maybe adding snow would give something that would contrast with the penguin (since the snow would fall behind the penguin but on top of the black of the sky? The tilt control is also pretty difficult. I don't see how anyone would want to use tilt over touch. For competitive reasons, maybe if there were a separate high score list for tilt, more people might use it.

All in all, a cool iphone port of an awesome Flash game with some new twists (the polar bear is pretty funny).
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freud View Post
We decided to make the game free for the next couple days so please give it a try!
NOOOOO! I should have waited! Haha, enjoy my $.70 devs. Are there any updates planned?

Oops, sorry for double-post. I looked to merge the two, but I couldn't find a delete post button even in "Advanced."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
It is also VERY similar to Elf.
I saw Elf, but I didn't get it after watching the trailer. I don't like the fact that he falls slowly, and it was just a little too maniacal for my tastes. What can I say, I prefer cute little bunnies and penguins.

Last edited by baptismapyros; 01-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.