★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Age of Tribes - the closest thing to Lemmings (yet)

01-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Loved Lemmings? Hopefully Age of Tribes is your game then.

of course FancyFactory's (my's ) debut game is not a clone of Lemmings - but the main reason for starting this game was to bring the good old "little, funny, dumb guys" feeling into the app store.
I simplified the Lemmings gameplay a lot with elements of line drawing games - perfect for iTouch devices.
Currently the game is nearly finished and the betatest is running, some graphics and character animations are still missing. This will be done in the next few weeks. A release is aimed within the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Age of Tribes

As the leader of a small group of natives from different eras, it's your mission to lead the members of your clan home safely. Not that simple, since your tribe members trust you blindly and would readily follow any path you present them with.

You determine the way home simply by skillfully drawing stairs with your finger. Tap the screen once to start a new stairway - then move the finger to the point where the stairs should end and stop touching the screen. The newly created path only exist for a few seconds - so it depends on the right timing. You can make up to 8 paths at a time. Wrong way set? Simply erase it with the virtual "rubber". The group members will happily follow any path that you draw for them. And this way, with a little bit of luck, you'll make sure that all of the clan members reach their home safely. In the process, watch out for dangerous traps and take care that your people don't fall down to far.
To complete a level you have to lead a set amount of members home safely - you'll find the exact amount at the top edge of the screen next to the time display.

Thanks to Plus+ after each successfully completed level you have the opportunity to save your required time into a highscore list. The less time you need for a level, the higher your achievement will be rated. Achievments for solving levels in a pre-defined timeframe are available.

- 4 different eras (egypt, viking, aztec and chinese) with a total of 8 different graphic themes
- 3 beginner levels and 5 levels per era
- precise touchscreen controls
- beautifully designed graphics
- elaborate animations and partical effects (2nd gen devices or better)
- exclusive sountrack for each era
- funny sound effects
- leaderboards and achievements
- Plus+ enabled

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by FancyFactory; 01-22-2010 at 01:29 AM.
01-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Lol when I saw Age of Tribes I thought it was gonna be like Age of Empires or something...I was so excited...and then I read the next part of the title and a part of me died inside............jk jk. I love lemmings, and this game looks fantastic from the descrition and pics. Let me say I will be one of the first to get this game. Great job!

It's cool, refreshing, and irresistibly tantalizing...ChocoVanilla Ice-Cream!

01-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Sorry for that confusion.

Last edited by FancyFactory; 01-07-2010 at 06:19 AM.
01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I still play Lemmings from time to time - one of the all time classics. Lemmings was great because they got the difficulty levels spot-on. I'm really looking forward to giving this a go.

Follow us on the Tin Man Games blog and check out our latest Gamebook Adventures and Fighting Fantasy sites for links to our GA and FF apps!
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow, looks awesome. Can't wait to see it out in stores!
01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
man... i cant believe i missed beta testing this...

Beta tester of 54 games
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to tzual
I actually beta tested this game and i must say, it's a winner. good luck Axel!

Openfeint: Tzual12
GameCenter, Plus+, AGON, Crystal: Tzual

Feel free to add me
01-11-2010, 01:41 AM
I updated the screenshots with two shots of the egyptian stages. My artist is still working on the viking character animations (which I personally like most - tough little guys ) and some of the screens.
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Finally...I updated the first post with a gameplay video. I hope you like it!
01-12-2010, 02:46 AM
This looks really nice. As far as I see it, you only draw lines which create or block the way, very much like the trampolin mini games of New Super Mario Bros or Kirby Power Painbrush. Thatís far away from the gameplay Lemmings offers, where you control the little people and give them orders. For me this looks like a good and polished puzzle game I will certainly buy which offers the zen style gameplay of Lemmings, but lacks the direct control. KamiCrazy on the other hand offers control over the people, but it has more an action gameplay to it, which conflicts with the zen like experience you had playing Lemmings.

I also noticed, that the control scheme looks a bit awkward. Obviously you draw the lines with one finger. It seems that the devs thought, that this would conflict with other gestures to move or zoom the view, so they added four buttons to move and zoom around, which clutter the playfield. It would be easier to use this control scheme:

Draw with one finger: Creates line
Move the view with two fingers
Pinch: Zoom in/out

There also seems to be a mute button in the top right, which you should not need, because you have the mute switch on your device or can out a switch into the menu.

The egypt theme looks really great and was one of my favorite themes in Lemmings!

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de