★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Smack Boxing v2.0- Career update now live!

01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Smack Boxing v2.0- Career update now live!

[EDIT] THE UPDATE IS NOW LIVE. GO GET IT.

I have been working hard beta testing for Full Control ApS and WIT Entertainment (aka Thomas Lund and Magnus Blikstad- members of this forum) on the new update for their boxing game Smack Boxing, and can confirm it has been submitted to Apple and is awaiting approval (when released, I will change this threads title)!

[Lite Edition, Free]

Firstly I would like to say how much of a pleasure it has been working with Thomas and Magnus. Thank you both for listening to my ideas and feedback.

This is a massive update for this game. Firstly, here is a piccy of the new career menu that greets you when you start the game...

Among the many changes made:

1) You will notice there are a couple of new characters here. Peter Pegger the pirate was of course added in the previous version. Now we also have Zeke the zombie and Marvin the robot!

2) Each character now has their own individual stats, so you can clearly see who is good at what (for example, Zeke is slow, but has good stamina and strength)

3) Career consists of 4 difficulty levels- Easy, Medium, Hard, and Insane. In each difficulty there are 3 tiers of opponents. Tier 1 has the 2 easiest fighters, Jungle Jay and Cyril Cigar. Tier 2 has Sumo Stan, Chef Sven, and Saint Santa. And tier 3 consists of Peter Pegger, Zeke, and Marvin. Tier 1 is the only one available at first on Easy and Medium (the other difficulties are locked to begin with), and you need to start winning fights in order to open up new tiers and difficulty levels. Won opponents and difficulty levels are denoted by a star. But the career menu shows you how many fights you have won and lost against each opponent on each difficulty level.

4) I have previously mentioned changes I would like to the developers, such as the victory pose graphics being redrawn so the characters arms are in proportion, the punch sound effect being more of a "SMACK" instead of a "BOOM", and sweat to more clearly show when you are tired. These have been implemented.

5) Tapping the timer now pauses the game.

6) Opponents now put up a much more entertaining and challenging fight, especially on Hard and Insane levels. Opponents will be more likely to punch with the hand closest to you for example. However the Easy level is just that- easy. So novices to the game will have no problem getting into it.

7) Moving around now reduces stamina. This was implemented to stop the player constantly evading standing in front of the opponent, so now you will have to learn to block too if you want to keep your stamina up.

8) Swing punches are now easier to register (swiping across to the left/right).

9) Punching ability has been reduced with low stamina, so you must learn more to keep your stamina high.

Just so everyone knows, due to the added gameplay value, the price will also increase when the update is out. At the moment, the game is 1.19/$1.99, and it will increase to 1.79/$2.99, so you may want to get it now. But for what you get in this update, the price is well worth it in my opinion, and I am not just saying that because I beta tested it. This game has MASSIVELY improved from previous versions. The one complaint I had regarding gameplay was how easy it was. Now everyone will have a difficulty level that is right for them. It is SO much more fun to play than before, with strategy now playing a good part as well as timing and luck.

Here's the vid- also viewable on iPhone/Touch... (now in High Quality!!!)

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 01-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Send a message via MSN to Thomas Lund Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas Lund Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas Lund
Has been a real pleasure working with you as a tester. Thanks for all the help.

And I can only echo - we didnt hire Barry to say what he says. It is a vastly improved game and great fun to play. If you by any chance have been putting this game down due to beating the game or missing a challenge - then this is it!

There is a challenge for everyone in here, and the AI improvements are really incredible.

Give it a spin once it goes live!

And now we take requests for the next "big thing" to implement :-D

Best
Thomas

Thomas Hentschel Lund - Full Control ApS
ElectroCute, Smack Boxing, TouchWars, Monster Ball, Smack Hockey, Tactical Soldier, Frontline Tactics, Space Hulk

01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds much better than before. The game just had no incentive before to keep playing, so this should help a lot!

What I would really like to see is a create-a-boxer component to the career mode. So you start off the game by creating a boxer and with each fight you win, you earn points (for no. hits, hits taken, time) which can be used to upgrade your fighters stats. Also if you tied this upgrade system into the various difficulty settings (i.e. you need to upgrade to a certain level before unlocking next difficulty), you could allow for a seamless transition from Easy to Insane.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
This game is already fun, the career features sound amazing! I and others have made some comparisons to Mike Tysons Punchout, but this updated content appears that it may make Smack Boxing more than punchout ever was. The general feeling of the game is a comfortable casual boxing game as is. With what yuthe has outlined, I will find myself looking forward to opening Smack Boxing to continue previously started challenges. That in itself makes this a whole new experience for me.

Thomas and Magnus have both always been quick, to tackle any emails that I have sent them concerning the game. They have also been very interested in user input concerning further development of it. What does that mean to me and you? It means that Smack Boxing is evolving into a users game. A game that we players as a whole have had a hand in developing, and from Mr. Lunds last statement this will even continue after "career mode" goes live.

I think anyone will thouroughly enjoy Smack Boxing so if you don't have it yet, pick it up. If like wastedyuthe and myself, you have already purchased the game, sit back and enjoy or even ask the devs to implement your ideas!

Btw as yuthe noted the price will increase from $1.99 to $2.99 usd, not much to ask, however if you get it now before the update is live you get everything for $1.99!!!!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

Last edited by rich_952000; 01-20-2009 at 01:37 PM.
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Hello all!

I can't stress enough how different the game plays now. It's really a completely different game!

The AI updates together with the input improvements and especially together with the reworked way of handling stamina (as mentioned you now lose stamina while moving but not while blocking) have worked out wonderfully. The game is now MUCH more tactical and you actually have to learn how to block rather than just run away.

The difficulty levels and the fact that the different boxers now are slightly more, well, different of course add to it too in the sense that everyone should now be properly challenged. We've done an incredible amount of tweaking of the opponents stats to find just the right balance. (something that's been possible in no small part thanks to wastedyouthes extensive play testing and excellent feedback, definitely wouldn't have been as great as it turned out without your help, so a huge thanks is in order there!(but I guess you're getting tired of us saying that by now, haha)).

In either case, can't wait for apple to approve the update so you can all see for yourself.
01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizy View Post
Sounds much better than before. The game just had no incentive before to keep playing, so this should help a lot!

What I would really like to see is a create-a-boxer component to the career mode....
Yes there is incentive now to collect all the stars for each opponent in each difficulty (you can't exactly show off the game when you only have the Easy level star can you ).

Thomas and Magnus have already told me earlier that your idea regarding "create-a-boxer" is something they may implement in the future, depending on how this version is received. The players character definitely needs a facelift, and being able to create your own character and build on their stats would be the icing on the cake.
However, this is already a 5 STAR review game from me thanks to this update. I can honestly say this is now one of my favourite games- especially for the small price I paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blikstad View Post
(something that's been possible in no small part thanks to wastedyuthes extensive play testing and excellent feedback, definitely wouldn't have been as great as it turned out without your help, so a huge thanks is in order there!(but I guess you're getting tired of us saying that by now, haha)).
I never get tired of you saying that You are most welcome.

UPDATE ON THE VID: It is being uploaded as I write, and is halfway through. It is 8 minutes long, so is taking a while. Apologies for the delay.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 01-21-2009 at 05:25 AM.
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I just purchased the game and am looking forward to all the coming updates. I always appreciate and make sure to purchase games from developers that are receptive to ideas and making improvements after listening to input from players.
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Man, you all have me excited all over again. I can now tell I'll be reinvigorated by this one!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
You guys care to make a Tennis game?

Yuthe will understand this one...

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
You guys care to make a Tennis game?

Yuthe will understand this one...
HAHAHA!! Nice one Salsamd!

It's actually a great idea! These kind of characters (love Magnus' artwork!) on a Tennis court with TS Tennis style controls + career ( ) would be perfect!