★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space Breakout 3D - DS effects TOFTT

01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to KindredSpirit Send a message via Skype™ to KindredSpirit
Space Breakout 3D - DS effects TOFTT

Okay, DS effects, the guys that brought you such wonderful apps as Same Pets and Virtual Bear came out with the new app of the day. I know there's a thread about this, but i need the TOFTT team to help me out. I got the last couple 20 bucks on my itunes card and im spendin em wisely (Thinking bout Rolando BIA and HOS 5.99!), and i want a good breakout game (bootant has some good ones too), but im curious.

Link
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Okay... I'll bite on this one. I've avoided DS Effects for this long so I might as well taste the sting. I'll pick it up and let you know. Might not be able to get a video going soon, but I'll let you know just how 3D is Space Breakout.

Wish me luck...

Bob

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5

01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Okay... I'll try to do a video of this a little later so you can see what DS Effects calls 3D, but just know before I go any further... to paraphrase Obi Wan... This is not the breakout game you're looking for!

Yikes... I don't know where to start on what is obviously the pinnacle of DS Effects programming. The "3D" of this game is actually sort of an angled view of the play field. There is no sound... no sound? The controls are very slow to respond. And there is no real "play" in this game.

You send the ball up the screen, it hits a block, the block comes down. Don't let the block hit you or you lose a life. This is, of course, never explained and if you're used to most games of this genre you're thinking that it's a power up coming your way. Then you just try to keep the ball alive until you can hit all the blocks. The play is super slow and very boring. The graphics are obviously the reason there is no screen shot... They look like they were designed by a High School computer science class... in 1980! I know because I took that class in 1980 and my mini golf game would have kicked this games butt all over the lab!

There is no fan fare for doing anything... good or bad. It's just a crapp app from beginning to end and something that should be avoided. If there was ever a thought in your head that maybe you might put all the other DS Effects games aside and give this one a chance because it has the "3D" moniker with it... Just stop for a moment, breathe deeply... grab a pen... jab it into your hand as hard as possible. You'll actually get more enjoyment out of that experience (and the pain will go away quicker) than you would in buying this poor excuse for a game.

It's been suggested that DS Effects change it's name and start over... it would do them no good. The rotting smell of crapp apps would follow them where ever they go.

And there you have it... an Agent of TOFTT doing what we do best... Taking One For The Team.

I'll try to have a vid later... But only watch it if you are having trouble sleeping...

Bob

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't get it. Bad idea. Danger alert.

The best breakout game you can buy is SuperBall 2. Check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
definitely choose Hero of Sparta! it really does have the best graphics on the platform

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to KindredSpirit Send a message via Skype™ to KindredSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Okay... I'll try to do a video of this a little later so you can see what DS Effects calls 3D, but just know before I go any further... to paraphrase Obi Wan... This is not the breakout game you're looking for!

Yikes... I don't know where to start on what is obviously the pinnacle of DS Effects programming. The "3D" of this game is actually sort of an angled view of the play field. There is no sound... no sound? The controls are very slow to respond. And there is no real "play" in this game.

You send the ball up the screen, it hits a block, the block comes down. Don't let the block hit you or you lose a life. This is, of course, never explained and if you're used to most games of this genre you're thinking that it's a power up coming your way. Then you just try to keep the ball alive until you can hit all the blocks. The play is super slow and very boring. The graphics are obviously the reason there is no screen shot... They look like they were designed by a High School computer science class... in 1980! I know because I took that class in 1980 and my mini golf game would have kicked this games butt all over the lab!

There is no fan fare for doing anything... good or bad. It's just a crapp app from beginning to end and something that should be avoided. If there was ever a thought in your head that maybe you might put all the other DS Effects games aside and give this one a chance because it has the "3D" moniker with it... Just stop for a moment, breathe deeply... grab a pen... jab it into your hand as hard as possible. You'll actually get more enjoyment out of that experience (and the pain will go away quicker) than you would in buying this poor excuse for a game.

It's been suggested that DS Effects change it's name and start over... it would do them no good. The rotting smell of crapp apps would follow them where ever they go.

And there you have it... an Agent of TOFTT doing what we do best... Taking One For The Team.

I'll try to have a vid later... But only watch it if you are having trouble sleeping...

Bob
Best. Review. Ever.
Jabbing myself with a pen does sound pretty fun after visualizing this crap in my head. FALLING BLOCKS? SERIOUSLY? Could u post the vid sometime later, it would be hilarious
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
so do we get to see gameplay?