★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

c, or c++?

01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
c, or c++?

to learn obj-c, i need either to start making a game. which should i start with. all i know is simple java, very basic!!! no one has given a straight answer.
01-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I took a different path then you, but I think you should start learning C++. It may be a challenge, but it won't take much afterwards.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
did you have any past experience with c++, and do you have any tips for a new dev like me?
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfright View Post
did you have any past experience with c++, and do you have any tips for a new dev like me?
I'm not an iPhone dev, but I tried to learn C#, and it was a horrible experience. I haven't looked at C++, I know that it is far more common, but just play with the SDK, and see what you can do. C++, and some books looks to be the way to start.
01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfright View Post
no one has given a straight answer.
Well, this isn't any more straight. Both.

Generally speaking, C will give you a better understanding of what you're doing with the computer and compiler. C++ will give you conceptual tools to work with said things "better". I put that in quotes since C++ can be a "can of worms" for some people.

If your goal is iPhone, you'll likely do yourself best starting with C and ObjC, since C++ is a third wheel at this stage. An understanding of pointers and memory is essential for working with OpenGL, and many API's.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I got a C+ in AP Comp Sci... if that's any help..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
If you just learn C your going to miss out on the whole object oriented programming stuff... which is a big part of the SDK, I would say go with C for a bit to learn about code logic and pointers and such, then learn Obj-C or C++ for a bit concentrating on objects... try to learn the distinction between programming without objects and programming with them... it's easy to get confused when starting out.
01-21-2009, 02:22 AM
good luck

I'm currently reading How To Program: introducing c++ and java third eddition my older brother recomended it to me to start out , he said he'd help me learn to program and understand how to use c++ after and during the time I read the book. Now I'm not sure but would a computer engineer know how to make games using c++ cuz if they can it won't be too hard for me to learn since he's a computer engineer. But even if I do learn I have chosen to wait two years since 1) I'm underage and can't use my own name2) I have to wait till I work to buy my own mac.