★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New Pocket God update submitted

01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
New Pocket God update submitted

Hey Guys, been a little under the weather and couldn't write an update. We just submitted a new update on Sunday night for Pocket God. As usual, it contains an engine improvement and some new features.

The engine improvement is a touch input queue that waits for the render loop to process it. Most sample apps on the iPhone use a timer function to render their game, they set the render function to trigger every 1/30th of a second and have that function render their entire scene. The problem with this, is that if the render function takes longer than a 30th of a second, they start to pile up one one another and prevent the input handlers from doing its job, if you have ever had a game that is unresponsive to touch input, this is what's probably happening.

So, we had put the render function and game logic into a separate thread so it wouldn’t interrupt the touch controls. However, there was a side effect that was causing some locking issues with our logic, since the touch handler is in the normal app thread, it was calling functions in the game logic that was in turn modifying some of our data structure at the exact same time that a function in the main game loop was modifying it and sometimes the state flags would get set in a weird state for the pygmies.

so, I created a queue where the app thread just records what happens without interpreting anything and when the game loop gets to a safe place, it just goes through the queue and processes everything.

The functionality change was to play with a Volcano and fire. We now have a Volcano in the background and if you hit a pygmy into it, it will change states from... smoking, lava coming out along the side, full on eruption with globs of lava peppering the island, if one of the pygmies gets hit, then they catch on fire, run in a panic and jump in the ocean.

The cool thing about the engine so far, is most of it is scripted in xml. our artist exports bitmaps after animating it in flash, registers the bitmap as a texture in xml, defines an animation that are made up of various textures, and then adds different animations, sounds, tweens, etc to various scripts that I call when a collision event occurs, or a type of input happens.

Hopefully this update will be approved by Thursday, we are already planning to submit another functionality update on Sunday night again that involved different ways of playing with earthquakes and the accelerometer controls.

We appreciate any feedback that you can give us, a lot of people gave us a link to interactive buddy and we are definitely looking to add some cool features along those lines.

Last edited by davecazz; 01-20-2009 at 07:51 PM.
01-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I really love the game and am looking forward to this new update!

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
^^ yay!
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow, the new update with the volcano and lava sounds awesome! As do the upcoming accerlerometer based earthquake controls, will pick this one up soon for sure.
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Awesome, im glad i got this! Keep up the good work!

Cobalt and Calcium- THE Coheed and Cambria fansite- NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!!

Waiting for- Bioshock, NHL 10, FIFA 10, Guerrilla Bob, NOVA, Sketch Nation
01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDeliriumTrigger View Post
Awesome, im glad i got this! Keep up the good work!
Really, you recommend?

Gamecenter:1337brian
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
throwing

this may sound ridiculous, but is there a trick to throwing them into the volcano. every time i throw them they just land in the water in front of the island or on the island. any help?
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turakm View Post
this may sound ridiculous, but is there a trick to throwing them into the volcano. every time i throw them they just land in the water in front of the island or on the island. any help?
Same problem here: it seems impossible to throw them into the background. Please help. By the way, the music loop is funny but too short and annoying.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
01-20-2009, 11:17 PM
You have to flick them really far start way below them, for the next update I could make it easier if everyone agrees. also, you need to aim it at the volcano, if it goes to one side, it will land short and not go in.
01-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
You have to flick them really far start way below them, for the next update I could make it easier if everyone agrees. also, you need to aim it at the volcano, if it goes to one side, it will land short and not go in.
AAAAhahaha, I did it....too funny!!!
Love the clapping sound!
And now after knowing how to (it's clear after watching your info-screen) I like it and wouldn't change it! Then it's kind of a little ingame

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..