★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Please visit the DigitalDouble Website below to see a video of this game in action.

Over the Falls is the latest surfing game for the iPhone / iPodTouch and takes you on an epic journey through colorful locations - from graceful Long Boarding, through wave-tricks & big-aerial stunts, to high-octane barrel-riding as seen through the Surfers eyes.

On your way to becoming a Surf legend you will master theTake-Off, blend Surfing-with-Style, Tube-Time, BIG-Air and Acrobatics to complete a large number of challenges and earn credits (plus the respect of your peers).

Spend your credits with the Shaper where you can design (and upgrade) your Surfboard. Changing the template, shape, fin assignment and graphics will radically alter the dynamic of the board in the water, allowing you to get just the right combination of speed, carving and stability you will need to progress.

The game is set within a full 3D environment and employs slow-motion and action cameras to give a cinematic experience. Both Male and Female characters are included. The game is also loaded with information on the top surf spots from around the world (courtesy of SurfingAtlas.com) and on the evolution of the Surfboard.

This is not a surfing simulation as such, the emphasis here is on fun, so expect devastating 'over-the-falls' wipe-outs, expect to pull loads of hyper-real board tricks, (grabs, flips, handstands, headspins, hang10s, etc.), expect scene setting 60s style Surf Music... Oh, yes, and expect shark infested water too!

To ease you in, this game starts slow, but gets really fast. As such it uses the touch-screen (rather than the accelerometer) as a control system - this puts the action at your fingertips and you in direct control of the board with the fastest response time - you will need it.

Anyone will enjoy this game, but it was made by people who care about Surfing, for Surfers - something to do on the flat days?

Thanks for playing.

Independent Reviews:

The surfing video game is fun again... ...While other surfing games have tried emphasizing an overly realistic surfing experience, or a childishly simplistic approach, OTF Surfing managed to take an arcade game approach and apply it to a realistic surfing experience...
[dailystoke.com (ASP Addict)]

There have been many attempts at making a surfing game and each one seems to top the previous title, OTF Surfing is no exception. This is a great arcade surfing game that I thoroughly enjoyed, definitely worth a pick up in my opinion
[razorianfly.com (Damon)]

Without doubt OTF is the best [surfing game] of the bunch, polished, engaging and above all LOTS OF FUN
[slidetoplay.com (user review)]
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Looks good from the screenshots. Will pick it up, anyone want impressions?

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.

01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
Please -- been curious myself.
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in impressions. Screenshots look good and I like the fact it was developed by real surfers.
01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Game Impressions

Ok I've been playing around with it for a while and I must say this is very impressive. You choose your surfer, stance and name then just get straight into things with these challenges. They are a sort of tutorial that explains how to do everything. I have completed four of these and from what I'm gathering this is a great surfing game.

To move the surfer you slide two thumbs (I found it easier with one) over the bottom of the screen to move the surfer and taking your thumb off the screen stalls the board. To get air you need to build up speed by carving then launching yourself at the lip. I haven't reached doing tricks yet but I'm getting there (hopefully)

The camera angles work fairly well even though it proved a bit hard on the second challenge. The Angles and view change depending where on the wave you are. It all looks very smooth on my 1st gen iPod and should be even better on the newer devices. So far I would call this the best surfing game on the App Store, given that there is a good amount of gameplay which by the description there is.

End verdict: Buy it

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Sainter. Sounds great. Just picked it up myself and will post impressions soon.
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Curious about this one. Any videos?
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Curious about this one. Any videos?
Did a search earlier on YouTube and couldn't find any. Why developers release games without posting gameplay videos I will never know.
01-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks Sainter and squarezero,

I am the developer of OTF Surfing - very pleased you like it...

@ Sainter -

I would try to get into the habit of using your two thumbs to control the board now if I were you, the one-finger approach will work OK on the earlier levels but ultimately will not be quick enough later on (you can prove me wrong ;-) ). I would REALLY appreciate it if you would cut-and-paste your review above to iTunes Sainter, and give it a rating... Without ratings and reviews new apps such as this can easily slip into obscurity very quickly (THANKS)

@ squarezero -

You are so right about the video thing, to be honest Apple caught me off guard when they reviewed and approved this app so quickly. I was anticipating about a 2 weeks review period, giving me enough time to make some in game videos and other promo material - they turned it around in less than 24hrs! (Must be working overtime?)

I'll be sure to post a link to the video right here, tonight, it is nearly done.

Thanks again, I much appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,

Rob.
01-09-2010, 07:20 AM
It's a new day at the App Store!

Seriously, though, I picked it up anyway on Sainter's word, and it's a really well made game. I'm still stuck on the second tutorial mission, but that's just because I suck .

Congratulations, Rob.