★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iSlate and our apps

01-09-2010, 02:20 AM
iSlate and our apps

Is there a remote possibility that our existing apps would work on the upcoming iSlate? I guess the graphics would fall apart after being enlarged six times. Just dreaming out loud!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apple-macintosh-tablet-2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	13286  
01-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Is there a remote possibility that our existing apps would work on the upcoming iSlate? I guess the graphics would fall apart after being enlarged six times. Just dreaming out loud!
Well, I'm sure there is a remote possibility of it being allowed.

For example, Trenches would go PERFECTLY for the iSlate. So we are optimistic.

01-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I am interested if it would be technically possible? Any limitations besides stretching the life out of the graphics?
01-09-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm almost certain the device will let you run regular iPhone apps in 320x480 windows. It'd be basically just like running the iPhone simulator. Why not?
01-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Apple will give devs a few months to make sure that their apps are compatible with the RAT.

I think you'll be able to have several iPhone screen sized apps open at once, sorta like moving around your different windows on a mac. That's how I think multi-tasking is going to work.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
01-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I tend to believe the rumours that Apple will release a new SDK (4.0 beta?) shortly after announcing the device and this will feature support for multiple screen resolutions. It will also feature a simulator that will run at iSlate resolution.

If this does happen they will probably support scaling a 480x320 screen to full screen for pre 4.0 apps but who knows, they may not bother. They could release the new SDK and a lot of devs could add iSlate support and rev their apps before the hardware is even released. It would cost Apple many lost sales if the iSlate only had hundreds of recently revved apps rather than 100,000 blurred, legacy apps on the day of release.

I would expect to be able to add support for multiple resolutions to Ground Effect in a few days, possibly even a few hours.

Developers with Graphic engines that scale to exploit the 3gs graphics hardware will be very well placed to exploit the extra power of the iSlate.

Just my guess/

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
"Extra power of the iSlate" is a really uncertain expectation at this point. Until the hardware has been confirmed, it's too soon to make any assumptions about the performance of the graphics.

It's entirely possible for a tablet to be slower than 3GS in graphic operations: for example, if it has similar hardware, four times the pixels but only twice the clock speed, fill-rate limited games may even struggle to run smoothly.
01-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't mind having my screensaver on the iSlate as TanZen and Zentomino at their native resolutions next to each other. Puzzle-game goodness.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
If all developers do to take advantage of the iSlate is enlarge all their graphics I'm gonna be pissed. I want everything the same size but with a bigger playing area. Imagine a TD game with hundreds of turrets or Flight Control with an entire airport.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
If all developers do to take advantage of the iSlate is enlarge all their graphics I'm gonna be pissed. I want everything the same size but with a bigger playing area. Imagine a TD game with hundreds of turrets or Flight Control with an entire airport.
I agree fully.

I don't think apple is going to do anything like allowing iphone apps to run scaled to the islate screen.

I'm thinking the islate is going to have it's own section of the appstore. It's possible all the talk we heard of a "premium" appstore is actually this islate version where you can buy apps that are made specifically for it's screen, processing power, and whatever other goodies apple may add to it.