★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Blackout was just released .99

01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Blackout was just released .99

It's .99
From the Dev's description...

Black Out
Black Out is a remake addicting puzzle game originally brought to you by Tiger Electronics in the 1990's. The object of the game is to, turn all the lights off in the fewest moves possible.

In Black Out, when you tap a light it toggles its status, as well as the status of the four adjacent lights (up, down, left, right), from on to off or off to on.

Last edited by field5; 01-21-2009 at 02:17 AM.
01-21-2009, 01:29 AM
doesn't look too fun for me. I am not going to get it.

01-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
i still have my original Lights Out game : D

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
01-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Link to the game, I can't find it.
01-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by soccerstud652 View Post
Link to the game, I can't find it.
sorry...forgot to put it in my first post...
01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
oh, I remember this, some friends of mine coded a clone of the game for a university project. It can be fun, it all depends of how well the levels are structured I guess
01-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Touch Ghosts is a similar app, but uses little Ikea ghost lamps. Same price.

AppStore: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290070036&mt=8
Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/60062165

Youtube link | Pop Up

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Field5, how are you enjoying it so far? Is there anything you would prefer to see changed in an update?
01-31-2009, 08:33 PM

I recently received a promo code for this game. The last few days here have been hectic and I have not had power all the time (and so neither has my iPhone, laptop and PC). Now that the power is back on and the cool change is here (yay!) and I no longer feel like I am living in a furnace I've had an opportunity to play Blackout.

My first impressions are that it is a simple yet very polished game.

When you start the game you are presented with the level selection screen. Levels that are unlocked are indicated by a 'lit' green square, while locked levels are indicated by a red square with a padlock with the word locked across it.

There are 4 buttons at the bottom of the screen:

1) Level Select - takes you to the level select screen

2) Reset - resets the current level

3) Settings/Stats - this is where you can change the level select screen to show either levels 1 to 25 or 26 to 50. Game sounds can be turned on and off. Animations can be turned on and off. Simple statistics are shown for the total moves taken for all levels combined, the total levels completed and the highest level completed. There is also an option to reset all statistics. The reset button at the bottom of the screen changes to a return button when viewing the settings/stats section. Using this returns you to the previous section you were viewing.

4) Help - there are currently 5 screens in the help section. I thought the help section was well set out and that the explanations/instructions given were clear and consise. The reset button at the bottom of the screen changes to a return button when viewing the help section. Using this returns you to the previous section you were viewing.
a) Objective - explains the objective or aim of the game.

b) Strategy - explains one possible strategy that you can use to help you solve the levels.

c) How to Play - gives instructions on how to play. The how to play instructions are given over two screens.

d) Support - contact details for support, feedback and improvement ideas.
The status bar is shown so you can keep track of the time and your devices battery life (I like this as I can play this when on my lunchbreak and more easily keep track of the time). You can also listen to your own ipod music.

So far I have not been able to spend a lot of time playing. My first impressions are that for me this game is challenging. I generally find that I am average at most logic puzzle games. Sometimes I am stumped by puzzles that most people seem to find obvious or easy to solve. And sometimes I breeze through them with no problems.

In case you are not familar with puzzles from this 'lights out' genre the object of this game is to turn off all the lights on all the squares. You do this using the logic or rules of the game. When you touch a square the state of that square and the state of the squares directly above, below, left and right that adjoin the square you touched are toggled. If any of these squares were lit, the light is now turned off and if any of those squares were unlit then the light will now be turned on. Solving each of these levels requires a lot of thinking ahead to understand how the squares you touch will change the state of adjoining squares. I'm finding the requirement to think ahead very similar to how I had to think ahead when playing Theseus and the Minotaur. Certainly the game objectives, layout, gameplay, etc are very different, but the need to think ahead and plan your moves is very similar. If you enjoyed the thinking ahead aspect of Theseus then you should enjoy Blackout.

There are only a few minor things I can think of that would improve this game.

1) The first level is a tutorial that walks you step-by-step through turning the lights off. It would be good if the tutorial could be expanded to cover the first three levels. I think this would give a better hands on look at how the logic of the game works and would help you to better understand the different strategies that can be used.

2) All levels, except the first level, are locked until you complete the previous level. I would like to see maybe the first 10 levels unlocked by default. Then players new to the genre could move onto the next level without being stuck and frustrated on one level. Having access to the first 10 levels might give a new player an opportunity to build their skills, explore different stategies and learn more about the gameplay.

3) While it is not something that concerns me, the ability to change the default colours would appeal to some people.

4) Statistics are currently kept for the game as a whole. I would also like to see statistics kept for each level. Including the moves taken on each level compared to the minimum number of possible moves to complete that level.

5) Multiple saved games. This would benefit those people who share their device.

EDIT - 6) You should be asked to confirm Yes or No if you touch the reset button in a game.

Overall an Blackout is a polished well made game that can be very challenging. It requires you to think ahead and plan your moves in advance.

Last edited by snow_mani; 02-01-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add missing point 6
01-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Field5, how are you enjoying it so far? Is there anything you would prefer to see changed in an update?
I haven't bought it/tried it yet but I know there are alot of fans of this game so I started this thread and posted the link video above...
best of luck!