★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Didu Games
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 27.9 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Quozzle = Color Word Puzzle.

Look for some tutorial videos on YouTube!

Quozzle Quest is a puzzle game and a board game. It has a mysterious match 3 game included.

Can you find the golden butterfly?

Place Quozzle pieces on the board to collect points and experience. (hint: swipe to enter the match 3 game).

Some hints:

1. When you touch a butterfly, you get Points in exchange for green XP.

2. When you drop a color on a butterfly you do not lose a turn and the butterfly might transform to a new color .

3. Butterfly colors are : Black, Blue, Green, ...

4. The mysterious game is a match 3 game and the rules are secret.

brof's comments:
surprise. The Apple certification was done in 2 days. Amazing.

If you thought Avoid Hitting Piano was fast, this one is a really, really slow game. Some rules are not explained (the gallery game is secret). The main game has a short tutorial, a local leaderboard.

01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Congrats on the release, Brof!

Video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 01-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.

01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
thanks. Did forget to mention, that there are promo-codes for giveaway... enjoy!
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I got a promo code for this game, as I enjoy puzzles, and lots of times am looking for things that don't have time limits.

Quozzle Quest satisfies both of those things - although the first "challenge" that occurs asks that you get a 3 blue butterflies on the board at once within 5 minutes.

Let me say that Quozzle Quest is not for the faint of heart. The developer states up front that the rules are left for players to find for themselves. And aside from the tutorial that gives some basic information that is what happens. For me, it was not an intuitive learning curve, even after watching the video - so I asked for help. brof replied with this :

Here are some notes:

1. When you touch a Butterfly, you get Points in exchange for green XP

2. When you drop a color on a Butterfly you do not lose a turn and the Butterfly might transform to a new Color (50% Chance).

3. Butterfly colors are : Black, Blue, Green, Red ...

4. You can Buy 2-Color-Combos (deck) . You start with 3 Credits. The rare Color-combos give more points when you are able to place them on the board.

5. The gallery game is a match three game and the rules are secret. It is for the very patient.

6. Think of a combination of dominos, and scrabble - and think scrabble using colors - not words.

At this point - there was a huge immersion of understanding for me, and things became much more clear. Not that I believe that I have even scratched the surface, but at least I am feeling like I have an understanding of how to mine the treasures that are deep within this puzzle application.

Technically - lots of polish, very subtle and soothing sound track. Game state is maintained with stopping the application.

Gameplay - this is definitely one of the tougher puzzle applications that is out there. Like Alchemize, there are a lot of rules that need to be learned and followed to maximize points, and be able to affect the ability to "find the golden butterfly". But - the rules are not necessarily intiutive. I suspect that there are some that will quickly catch on to what needs to happen - for me, I continue to discover things, think that I have a rule, only to find out that it doesn't work the same the next time around - so I have to figure out what actually happened to be able to repeat it next time around again.

Final thoughts - a real brain teaser. Highly polished.
For those of you that are looking for a non time dependent highly challenging puzzler, this one would likely be up your alley.

I would love to see a number of our great puzzlers here at TA get involved with this game - if for no other reason then to help me figure out more rules of how the game works. I suspect that even when all the rules are known, the game will still be highly challenging.

Great job brof!!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
thanks

hey, thanks pluto! totally missed your response. I am going to put some more confusing youtube videos out there tonight

btw: the side game was inspired by music of John Cage, a piece called AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE. So the side game is my version of that. For a video game it is very, very slow. (use a brave swipe to enter!)

The paintings were done by myself. The game is using always 2 of them and merging them (one over the other), you can observe the transition in the side game, but also in the highscore or credits screen.

You can use the paintings in the main game as a hint, when to switch to the side game (if you've figured out the use of the side game)...

so enjoy!

p.s. I am not very fond of pages of pages of tutorials in a game. I might want to add 1-2 more for explaining the Butterfly basic.

Btw. what story do the paintings tell? Your thoughts are welcome...
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
So I always have to ask off the bat when I hear "Puzzle Game"...

Is this something like solve the pre-scripted puzzle or more a case of learn how to adapt to the random setup handed to you each replay to maximize your points?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
So I always have to ask off the bat when I hear "Puzzle Game"...

Is this something like solve the pre-scripted puzzle or more a case of learn how to adapt to the random setup handed to you each replay to maximize your points?
I see different pieces/board every time I start a new game, so I'd say the latter...

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
no pre-scripted puzzle like a jigsaw or sokoban or sudoku. The puzzle is more of the sort of how to maximize points, which strategy is the best or is there even a best strategy?
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I think I've started to figure out the match-4 portion of the game, you're not kidding about slow, it's gonna take at least 15 minutes or so (estimated) to even finish testing to see if what I think I'm doing is right!

I am seeing green squares...

Re: the tutorials, I think they're well done, it is nice to have some things to figure out - this reminds me of way back when I'd get some copy of a game for my C64 with no instructions and we'd have to just figure things out via trial and error...

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
yeah, the kids from today do not know how hard it was to play games without a tutorial or manual

green squares are good. Think of yourself as a scientists. How did they find the rules of nature? Observing, Testing, setting up theories, verifying theories, ...

cheers,

Last edited by brof; 01-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.