★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Year Of The Ox - fastpace arcade action

01-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Year Of The Ox - fastpace arcade action

Year of the Ox

Website, screenshots, gameplay video

Youtube link | Pop Up

iTunes appstore link

*Celebrate Chinese New Year with 'Year of the Ox'
*Extremely fast, Arcade style, action-based gameplay
*Besides the main game, the application also includes FIREWORKS SIMULATION to get you into that festive mood
*Hyper-realistic and beautifully rendered fireworks effects that you won't believe capable of running on a mobile device.

all feedback is encouraged

Last edited by salsamd; 01-21-2009 at 02:03 PM.
01-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Just bought it

EDIT : wow, the lighting from the fireworks is really nice.

Last edited by Eng; 01-21-2009 at 05:55 AM.

01-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eng View Post
Just bought it

EDIT : wow, the lighting from the fireworks is really nice.
thank you!
we are working on an update with more types of fireworks and a few improvements. check out the site for updates in progress.
thanks again!
01-21-2009, 06:59 AM
pester power

WOW, first time this has happened. My 2 year old daughter saw the youtube video, watched it 8 times and is begging for more. She probably needs therapy, but I thought spending the £.59 would be cheaper.

The Ox sign "prosperity through fortitude and hard work". I hope it delivers! I'm a sucker for nice graphics, and the whole concept, although simple, is clever and well executed. There is room to increase the game play though, as there is a lot of style but little substance. At only£.59/$.99, there is not much to complain about!
01-21-2009, 07:38 AM
The graphics look VERY nice indeed. However I don't see much evidence of "several interactive locations". Are they all the same size? What's interactive about them?

Looks pretty good and well polished for a cheap game.
01-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jeep View Post
WOW, first time this has happened. My 2 year old daughter saw the youtube video, watched it 8 times and is begging for more. She probably needs therapy, but I thought spending the £.59 would be cheaper.
wow thats a nice thing tho right? i mean... advertizing gets into minds of our children not allways though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jeep View Post
The Ox sign "prosperity through fortitude and hard work". I hope it delivers! I'm a sucker for nice graphics, and the whole concept, although simple, is clever and well executed. There is room to increase the game play though, as there is a lot of style but little substance. At only£.59/$.99, there is not much to complain about!
we are working on alternative modes of gameplay, but since the game is themed about a specific event, we wont be expanding it by much, rather creating our next game

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe
The graphics look VERY nice indeed.
thanks! we're happy that the the graphics achieved well, it was important to deliver the art style to fit the theme and set the mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe
However I don't see much evidence of "several interactive locations". Are they all the same size? What's interactive about them?
Well, because the game is very small, that whole area of the game is the whole location, it has the Ox home with scoreboards, pavillion with the game mode and the fireworks hut with the fireworks mode. those are the supposed locations. i hope it didnt mislead much.
thanks for feedback!
01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
three interactive locations

A shed that displays high scores when you get near, a pergola where you can access the game mode and a how to play screen, and a stand where you can select one of the 3 different fireworks, which are a bit samy anyway.

The game itself, although very simple, is quite a challenge, running after rats and jumping on them, stampeding for a while as soon as you have a rat count of 50. Managed a pitiful 215 sec, can't see myself trying A LOT harder to improve on this.
OK, this felt like a TOFTT! lol

Somebody needs to go out there (not an easy task with a mad ox rampaging around) and fix the fence, it's sinking into the ground at the back.
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Thank you nomand!
I can give you suggestions for at least 11 different games based on the same idea!

Other than that, just like paper pilot, it's a clever use of the unity engine!
01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
nice game...fantastic.
01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomand View Post
Well, because the game is very small, that whole area of the game is the whole location, it has the Ox home with scoreboards, pavillion with the game mode and the fireworks hut with the fireworks mode. those are the supposed locations. i hope it didnt mislead much.
thanks for feedback!
Yes I actually find that misleading myself. What does everyone else think? I assumed "several interactive locations" would actually be different maps with their own sets of obstacles etc.