★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: NOTE: Optia syncs progress across devices! Please see below for directions.

Optia is a beautiful, immersive physics game about reflected light. You must activate all targets in each level with a laser beam, powering the transition to the next.

Fortunately, your puzzle-solving instincts come in handy here! Using a clever assortment of mirrors, you can reflect a beam in any direction, split it into two separate beams (or four, or eight, or sixteen...), and if you must, sacrifice your own laser to clear a path to that last target.

And Optia doesn't end there! After cutting your teeth on the main campaign, you can create your own levels and upload them for others to play.

With 100 main levels, more than one thousand user-created levels, and a polished ecosystem for creating, playing, and rating new levels, you never really need to stop playing Optia. And you can decide if that's a good thing.

- Featured in Apple's New & Noteworthy
- Winner of Applied Arts Magazine Award for Game Design

----------------

TIPS & TRICKS

- To sync levels across devices, unlock the level editor by completing 30 levels. Then, in the Editor level menu (the wrench icon), create an alias and a password. Finally, load Optia on your second device, go to the Editor menu, and log in.

- Load a previously solved level with its solution by tapping the level's colored dot in the level menu.

- When scrolling through the level menu, tap the Optia logo to jump back to the level you're currently playing.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Lite : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/optia-lite/id349236199?mt=8
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
wow. this looks really good. but i think i will wait for impressions

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-13-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: quote removed

01-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I like the graphics in the pics mainly...but the concept sounds nice too
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
oops. didnt realize there is a lite version. downloading now
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
tried it out. nice solid gameplay. great graphix. challenging but not frustrating. what every puzzle fan should like. sound is also great, nothing outstanding but definitely great.
01-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Game Impressions

This is a polished take on the laser and mirror puzzler. Sound is perfect IMO for a puzzler - just a little noise when you press fire as the laser interacts with the environmentals. The increase in complexity is very gradual. I agree that this as a good general puzzler.
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Its a good game with one really annoying design decision. If you do something to impact your laser, it removes all your pieces from the board and makes you start over.

So, if you accidentally lay down mirrors so that you strike the laser, it will reset the board. He has even included a laser called a one-shot laser which intentional resets the board after each trial.

This behavior has no value except to annoy his users. It doesn't make the puzzles any more challenging, it just make us go through more grunt work.

Other then that, very well done.
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm undecided on the value/annoyance of the one-shot laser, but I feel OK about the potential of destroying the normal laser. I've done it a couple of times and after losing my board setup it made me more careful when designing my layout. Your mileage may vary...
01-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Game Impressions

This is a superb puzzle game and I haven't played anything as difficult as this since Wriggle. The difficulty by around level 50 requires a decent amount of time to solve each puzzle (not something that you solve first shot). Its taken me over 5 hours to complete 60 puzzles and I am sure the last 40 puzzles will take me significantly more time.

There is one element of the game that is poorly documented and certainly not something you see in the lite version. If you fire the laser into the end points, they charge up and this allows you to destroy mines around them without destroying the goals. This should have been explained by a very simple but obvious level rather than just silently added. However, once you understand it, the level complexity because so much deeper once it is required.

Stuck on the level Mass Production (61) and I just can't see a viable solution that doesn't require extreme timing. If anybody has some hints please let me know.

If you are on the fence about buying this game, just get it. The lite version gives the impression the game is a push over and you will complete all the levels in an hour but that's just not the case.

Last edited by Dense; 01-17-2010 at 09:20 PM.
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Just completed it.

Some of the later levels take over an hour to work out. However I believe a number of the later levels have alternative solutions which makes it a little bit easier.

The level I had the most difficulty on was called "Lot" (level 78). Fairly certain I spent in excess of 2 hours trying to work it out.

Last level is only difficult because there are so many components to use. Strategy itself to clear it was fairly obvious, just had to work out the right order.

Hoping there might be some extra levels added later. Really enjoyed this game and highly recommend it. $1.49 for something that takes 14+ hours to complete is great value!