★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: [Game] Bee Spelled is out!

01-11-2010, 03:14 AM
[Game] Bee Spelled is out!

Hi!

I am from The Dumpling Dimension, a small dev team focusing on making games for the iPhone. We've just finished our first game, Bee Spelled, and we wanted to share it with the community here.
Feedback and questions are always welcomed!

Bee Spelled is an addictive spelling game suitable for all ages. Help Chub the spelling bee to fend off waves of diabolical enemies! Spell words to vanquish foes, unleash an assortment of powers and attacks, and raise your score to climb the leaderboards!

Features:

Make over 200,000 recognized words to defeat your opponents.
Spell doom for your enemies with a selection of powers.
Adjustable difficulty for players of all ages, from kids to geniuses.
Online leaderboards to compare your wordsmithing prowess against players from across the globe.
10 levels of increasing challenge.
Bee Jokes! Lots of bee jokes

Youtube link | Pop Up

Bee Spelled (Available at http://itunes.com/apps/beespelled)

More info about us at http://thedumplingdimension.com

Don't stop Bee-lieving!

Huali Fu
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Game Impressions

This is a great word fighting game. You play as a bee on top of the screen facing an opponent, a different opponent for each round. The way to attack your enemies is by spelling words from a 16 letter grid at the bottom of the screen full of random letters. The goal of the game is to create as many words as it takes to attack and defeat the opponents in each round to advance, earn points, and rank up in the process. The longer the words the better and stronger your attacks will be. The bee has a few different attack moves, again depending on the length of the word you create. You score more points for better words/attacks as well, and the game uses a score multiplier that will either increase or decrease your score depending on each word.

Bee Spelled is a turn based game, you and the computer opponent each take turns hitting eachother. There is no timer involved however, you can take as much time as you want to spell a word from the letters given. You each have a health bar which depletes when hits are taken from eachother. If your health bar runs out from taking damage before you can defeat the enemy the game will end and you can submit your score to the online leaderboard. If at any point during the game you feel stuck you can shake your device to shuffle and get new letter tiles but it will cost you a turn and some damage as a result.

When you spell words during the game the letter tiles you use will disappear and new ones will automatically fall in their place. Occasionally different color letter tiles will fall in the grid that have special effects when used in creating a word. Using Red tiles will cause your enemy to burn. Green tiles will heal you/fill your healthbar back up. Blue tiles will freeze enemies so that they cannot attack you. These tiles are very helpful in the later rounds and on the more challenging difficulty setting and should be used wisely to your advantage to keep from being defeated.

The game has a decent presentation with a fun theme. A short tutorial at the start menu will show you the basics of the game, it could be more detailed but there are tips to the game that popup during short load times to further explain things. There is a stats section available to look at from the start menu showing you your rank, best score, highest level reached, and all your best words created.

Those who like word games should check this game out. I find the gameplay very addicting, and the game concept has enough uniqueness to it to make it feel different than the usual word apps in the store. The best game concept I can compare it to is the one used in Dungeon Scroll, but Bee Spelled has a lighter cartoony theme and more of a pickup and play feel to it. Recommended to word gamers, especially for its current low price.

Suggestions-

-More special tiles and attacks would be great.
-Would love to see some kind of 2 player/online multiplayer mode added to this game where the players could choose a character and go at it using letter tiles from the same grid.
-Effects from special tiles could be more flashy
-You can use both red and blue tiles effects at the same time which seems odd. I know its a game but how can the opponent be frozen and burning at the same time?

01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
You need to check out Bookworm Adventures, original or the sequel, if you liked this, since judging from your review you've never played it. It's a PC only game from Popcap. Bee-spelled is (relatively) a very shallow clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
This is a great word fighting game. You play as a bee on top of the screen facing an opponent, a different opponent for each round. The way to attack your enemies is by spelling words from a 16 letter grid at the bottom of the screen full of random letters. The goal of the game is to create as many words as it takes to attack and defeat the opponents in each round to advance, earn points, and rank up in the process. The longer the words the better and stronger your attacks will be. The bee has a few different attack moves, again depending on the length of the word you create. You score more points for better words/attacks as well, and the game uses a score multiplier that will either increase or decrease your score ydepending on each word.

Bee Spelled is a turn based game, you and the computer opponent each take turns hitting eachother. There is no timer involved however, you can take as much time as you want to spell a word from the letters given. You each have a health bar which depletes when hits are taken from eachother. If your health bar runs out from taking damage before you can defeat the enemy the game will end and you can submit your score to the online leaderboard. If at any point during the game you feel stuck you can shake your device to shuffle and get new letter tiles but it will cost you a turn and some damage as a result.

When you spell words during the game the letter tiles you use will disappear and new ones will automatically fall in their place. Occasionally different color letter tiles will fall in the grid that have special effects when used in creating a word. Using Red tiles will cause your enemy to burn. Green tiles will heal you/fill your healthbar back up. Blue tiles will freeze enemies so that they cannot attack you. These tiles are very helpful in the later rounds and on the more challenging difficulty setting and should be used wisely to your advantage to keep from being defeated.

The game has a decent presentation with a fun theme. A short tutorial at the start menu will show you the basics of the game, it could be more detailed but there are tips to the game that popup during short load times to further explain things. There is a stats section available to look at from the start menu showing you your rank, best score, highest level reached, and all your best words created.

Those who like word games should check this game out. I find the gameplay very addicting, and the game concept has enough uniqueness to it to make it feel different than the usual word apps in the store. The best game concept I can compare it to is the one used in Dungeon Scroll, but Bee Spelled has a lighter cartoony theme and more of a pickup and play feel to it. Recommended to word gamers, especially for its current low price.

Suggestions-

-More special tiles and attacks would be great.
-Would love to see some kind of 2 player/online multiplayer mode added to this game where the players could choose a character and go at it using letter tiles from the same grid.
-Effects from special tiles could be more flashy
-You can use both red and blue tiles effects at the same time which seems odd. I know its a game but how can the opponent be frozen and burning at the same time?
01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
lol are we talking iphone games or PC games? Bee Spelled is fun, I'd say its more of a pickup and play game. To compare it to a better? PC game isnt right. If the one you mentioned ever comes to the iphone I'll check it out.
01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi freedog,

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. Everyone on the team here loved playing the Bookworm Adventures games that Gabrien pointed out - if you do find yourself at a PC it's certainly time well spent.

Coming Soon: Rocket Sheep Rampage
Currently promoting:
Bee Spelled
Follow us on Twitter for the latest news from The Dumpling Dimension.
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry, I was only trying to point you in the direction of a game you might enjoy. It has most of the extra things you asked of this one and heaps more. I guess I assume most people with an ipod/iphone who are interested in games also play games on a PC. Perhaps not so in your case, no worries. Do check it out if it ever does come to the app store though, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
lol are we talking iphone games or PC games? Bee Spelled is fun, I'd say its more of a pickup and play game. To compare it to a better? PC game isnt right. If the one you mentioned ever comes to the iphone I'll check it out.
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
yeah popcap makes great games but that one isn't on the iphone (yet) Personally I don't play word games on the PC though, if it came to the idevice I'd buy for sure.
01-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Bookworm is the in AppStore. So, you can try it
01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Oh, it's not "Bookworm Adventure". Just simple bookworm. My bad...
01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliboba View Post
Oh, it's not "Bookworm Adventure". Just simple bookworm. My bad...
I have bookworm, good game but its not a word fighting game like Bookworm Adventures. I hope popcap decides to bring bookworm adventures to the idevice.