★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Gemmed! (Lite version available too)

01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Gemmed! (Lite version available too)

Gemmed! is another swap & match 3 game but it has its own and nice twists.

If you like this kind of game you really should try the Gemmed! Lite version. It has some levels that will give you an exact idea of the gameplay.

The game has excellent graphics, nice animations, perfect sounds and a good set of background music. It has options to control sound and music volume. It can resume. It has local and online high score. It has an awesome presentation. Top-notch.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Some (not all) gameplay details:

- full version has 50 levels

- the level goal is to free monsters from the board by leading them to their door: this is what makes the game interesting! Play the lite version to literally see what I mean

- you can manipulate what bonus to get by matching more e.g. blue tiles (once blue bar is filled the bonus tile is placed on the board)

- bonus you don't use in a level can be used in another one

- you earn medals (more points) if you free monsters and less time

- the game is over if you can't move any tile but you earn "Replay" bonus along the game so you'll have a chance to restart it

- monster can be swapped with bonus tiles or other monsters in order to help you lead them to their doors

Price is $2.99 but I really think it's worth it.

My rating: 5/5

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by salsamd; 01-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.
01-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I agree that it's a really nice twist to a typical match3 game. But I like those type of games anyway. They don't need much focus and can entertain for a few minutes or hours. I don't know when I'll get bored of this one cause so far i've been playing it since I got it last night. Graphics and animations are making it even better. So yeah so far I am enjoying rescuing those creatures.

I highly recommend it too. I thought $2.99 was high at first but after a day of playing it's much worth it to me.

01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Gemmed Developer

Hi all, I guess this is a good place to introduce ourselves! My name is Jesse, and I'm part of a group with 2 others trying to put some decent games together. We decided to come together a couple months ago after I broke down and bought my first Mac when I realized (along with a lot of other people) how obvious a platform the iPhone is to make games for. We're all independent developers who really love making games and figured we'd toss caution to the wind and dive into this wild west iPhone dev world.

Our first title is a little match-3 variant, as Carlos put so well, with some fun twists, smooth gameplay, with 50 levels of monsters and power-ups. Here's a little video showing the game in action:

Youtube link | Pop Up

We also noticed how great an idea it seems to be to hand out a few promo codes, so here is a handful:
TKEYTJFKEKK7
YEATXR6TRHEP
E4FTXJ6YXAW6
KX3K4M9AW436
4PLRWKF3Y4N4

Please check it out, check out the Lite version, let us know what you think! We're really excited about this one, and we are hard at work on lots of new features for it, more depth, greater variety, etc.

We're pretty excited about the community here too, it looks like a great place for both developers and gamers.

Jesse
Wasted Pixel
www.wastedpixel.com
Check out our latest releases, Gemmed! and Gemmed! Lite

Last edited by jwarrent; 01-22-2009 at 09:35 PM.
01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the forum jwarrent!

I'm really impressed by the quality of this game.

If possible please tells about your future plans.

01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the promo code! I took the last one last night but didn't have the time to post since I had jumped in the thread as I was headed to work. Great game, if it's quality is any indication of future games you'll be creating I wouldn't mind shelling out some money for them
01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
The monsters eating their own colored gems as a pathway to their respective doors is a great touch to the standard match-3 game.

I picked this up and played for about 30 minutes last night, it was a lot of fun.

One thing I noticed is that matches from falling pieces seemed to be more common than in other similar games. Of course, it may have just been luck or me imagining it, but it was pretty notable and neat all at the same time.

The power-ups keep the game interesting, I like how some affect the gem colors when used and others can be used just for points. I bet there's more for me to discover that do additional things and I can't wait to come across them.

Before I stopped playing, I noticed that it could be quite a challenge to get a monster to the door sometimes. Especially when they were only one space away and the door was in the bottom left corner (or similar). With only that last row and being in such an out of way position, it was hard getting the matches needed to get the right piece to finish the level. I suppose I could have matched elsewhere until I got a power-up, but I was determined to win without it in that case.

I like the swipe method used to swap the gems, this allows the game to play at a faster pace and is more fun than what I've seen in other similar games. The "click one spot and then an adjacent spot" does work, but it slows the pace down and works better with the strategy match-3 where making a wrong move can mean game over. This game is more relaxed and fun, as you're not battling an opponent and can make as many moves as you'd like.

Overall, a fun match-3 with new twists that I warrant good enough to keep this game on my device. I want to go back and play it more, which puts it above some others I've tried.

It still needs a little work to become one of the best match-3s out there though.

Update
A pro about the pause menu: I like how the a customized "current time" shows in the pause menu.

A pro/con about the pause menu: The music continues to play while the game it paused. On the pro side, it can keep the feel of the game and be a nice feature. On the con side, if I pause the game, it may be because I need the room to be quiet; so in this case I'd have to pause and turn down the iDevice's volume.

Update 2
This game just keeps getting more than more interesting. It becomes more about getting the monsters to the goal than about it being a match-3 game. The match-3 aspect becomes just a setting and a secondary objective. It's really neat, especially when you get to the point where you have to lead 3 or more to the goal.

Update 3
Just got the dynamite power-up and managed to get a wormhole. Very cool; this game is quickly climbing up the chain to being on the same level as Smiles in enjoyability. Smiles is better polished, but the game play of these two titles are pretty much even.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 01-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments! We really appreciate any feedback we can get. One of our goals with Gemmed was to create depth to it, and not introduce all the cool stuff right away. Spread it out a little as the game kind of introduces itself to you a bit at a time. The Angel and Devil part of the game (after level 15) really start to add some interesting fun!

We have a lot more planned for this, and we're already pretty close to our first update. Down the road, we'll be adding the obvious- more monsters, each with their own unique power-ups. More ways to score huge points and a much more sophisticated High Scores table (rather than only the top ten). We're adding achievements to give players more reasons to explore the different levels of depth. And we have a few new obstacles that will really alter the experience.

Of course, we want to continue to polish it up, and we're very eager to hear ideas others have for that. For the difficult side exits, we've balanced it a bit more- the next update has this changed so that early levels won't put the side exits below the halfway point. Because it's more challenging, the later levels introduce this. Pausing the music while the game is paused isn't such a bad idea actually. I agree, it could go either way, but it's certainly easy enough to do.

Thanks again! We're looking forward to more of you guys giving it a go and letting us know what you think!

Jesse
Wasted Pixel
www.wastedpixel.com
01-24-2009, 08:50 AM
BTW, if anyone has had a chance to try it out and thought it pretty decent, we'd really appreciate some positive reviews on either the full or lite versions. We could use all the help we can get!

Thanks guys-

Jesse
Wasted Pixel
www.wastedpixel.com
01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
@ jwarrent

Pause music too is very useful.

Right now I can't think of anything else to make this game better. It's simply great!

01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Okay! The next update will pause the music from the Pause menu. We'll hopefully get the update ready to submit in a couple days.

Jesse
Wasted Pixel
www.wastedpixel.com