★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: A Developer Asking The Gamers

01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
A Developer Asking The Gamers

So as some of you know my company released Juggler last weekend and we submitted a new game called Flip 3 (link redirects to a YouTube video) earlier today. Both are $0.99 games that we feel are fun and simple little games. We don't think we're blowing minds with these two games, but we do think that they are worth the admission price if you like these styles of games.

One thing I've been told though is that I could help Juggler sales by releasing a Lite version. So that's what I'm thinking about doing. However with a game like that I'm not sure how one can make a Lite version that's worth playing yet keep the player wanting more. So let me run my idea by you guys and, if you'd be so kind, let me know what you think or share your ideas for how I can make a Lite version that doesn't make the full version worthless.

The two main things in Juggler are the online leaderboards and the ability to customize the playing experience. So what I was thinking for the Lite version is disable the online leaderboard submission (but let the user still view the leaderboard) and lock the player at 4 balls with smiley faces. In my mind this lets the user experience the game for free and then, if they enjoy it, they can buy the full thing.

However, I'm worried that players will just accept the shortcomings and keep the free version instead of converting to the full version. This obviously isn't good for me, but it also isn't as fun for everyone because the more people competing for the Top 50 leaderboard, the more fun people can have.

So what do you guys think? Does this sound like a successful Lite version? Or is there a better way to make a Lite version? Or is this sort of game just not able to be turned into a Lite version?

Thanks for any answers or thoughts. I'm really trying to make sure I can make games people want to buy and provide them with the ability to know before they spend their money that they will enjoy the game. So even if not for Juggler, for my future games I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Nick Gravelyn
twitter.com/nickgravelyn - twitter.com/metacreature
Metacreature Games: Juggler - Juggler Free - Flip 3
Metacreature Apps: PhotoTalk
01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
After reading your thread, I decided to buy your game and love it! I think rhe ideas you have for a Lite version make sense, but you are also right about people not wanting the full version. To solve this, you could include a few short ads in the Lite version, so you still earn a small amount of profit off the free game, and encourage users to get rid of the ads by buying the full version.

This is what I plan to do with my game. (Check out the website! It doesn't look ugly anymore!)

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-21-2009, 09:28 PM
You could add ads, that usually gets users to buy the games. Just don't make them too obtrusive, or nobody will get the lite version OR the paid version.

I'm also thinking keep three balls instead of four, because four could become a challenging game, and that's what (personally) has me addicted - something challenging, but not horrifically hard. Keeping the number of balls at three means I would get bored with the game faster, but still experience enough of the game to either buy it or dump it.

Just my 2 cents. Hopes it helps!

First game in progress...
01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
OR - you could add new features to the full version in addition to the ideas above. This way the full version is more appealing over the Lite.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Whatever you decide to do, do not disable any portion of the Lite version, or Apple will reject you. No disabled buttons, etc. It needs to be a complete game.
01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Perhaps release the full version for free for a little while, then people will review and recommend it. Go ahead with a lite version!
01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Whatever you decide to do, do not disable any portion of the Lite version, or Apple will reject you. No disabled buttons, etc. It needs to be a complete game.
What if I leave all the options enabled, so they all work, but then simply inform the user (via the alert pop up) that the settings won't be saved in the Lite version? Will that result in a rejection?

Nick Gravelyn
01-21-2009, 10:03 PM
any of the above mentioned would be great, you should do them all
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaNick View Post
What if I leave all the options enabled, so they all work, but then simply inform the user (via the alert pop up) that the settings won't be saved in the Lite version? Will that result in a rejection?
not as long as per-customers have a way of being made aware before they hit install or download.

If they don't choose to read info about the app they are buying on the INFO page then buyer beware.

an alert pop-up might not work because theres no way for them to "not want" that after they purchased otherwise non-refundable software.
01-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStaR View Post
not as long as per-customers have a way of being made aware before they hit install or download.

If they don't choose to read info about the app they are buying on the INFO page then buyer beware.

an alert pop-up might not work because theres no way for them to "not want" that after they purchased otherwise non-refundable software.
Well the alert would be in the free Lite version so it's non-refundable, but it didn't cost any money. The $0.99 version would have everything enabled just like it is.

Nick Gravelyn