★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Should Bullet Skater be free? Cast your vote here.

View Poll Results: Should Bullet Skater be free?
Yes 17 42.50%
No 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Should Bullet Skater be free? Cast your vote here.

I've been reading a number of interesting threads lately that have made me second guess, and then third guess the regular pricing habits of the App Store, and how I will be pricing Bullet Development's upcoming game Bullet Skater. At first, I was going to simply go with a .99 cent price point, no Lite version needed because of the low price. Then a few weeks after, I realized that pricing the game at the bottom would make the game look cheap, and likewise for the company. $1.99 seemed like a better alternative, with a free ad-supported trial with crippled features. The problem with this is how many people will even get the free version? This matters for a number of reasons, one being that the more downloads of the free version, the more profit made from the ads.

With that, I *think* and *hope* I have come to another good possibility for pricing. Offer a full featured, ad-supported version of Bullet Skater for free, along with a premium ad-free version for a dollar. This way, Bullet Skater has a big chance of skyrocketing to the top of the free charts, earning the company enough money with the advertisements. Just like Whack-Em-All.

What do you think? Should I instead only offer a Free Trial and the pay version, or do you have a new idea?

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonSoftware View Post
I've been reading a number of interesting threads lately that have made me second guess, and then third guess the regular pricing habits of the App Store, and how I will be pricing Bullet Development's upcoming game Bullet Skater. At first, I was going to simply go with a .99 cent price point, no Lite version needed because of the low price. Then a few weeks after, I realized that pricing the game at the bottom would make the game look cheap, and likewise for the company. $1.99 seemed like a better alternative, with a free ad-supported trial with crippled features. The problem with this is how many people will even get the free version? This matters for a number of reasons, one being that the more downloads of the free version, the more profit made from the ads.

With that, I *think* and *hope* I have come to another good possibility for pricing. Offer a full featured, ad-supported version of Bullet Skater for free, along with a premium ad-free version for a dollar. This way, Bullet Skater has a big chance of skyrocketing to the top of the free charts, earning the company enough money with the advertisements. Just like Whack-Em-All.

What do you think? Should I instead only offer a Free Trial and the pay version, or do you have a new idea?

You forgot to add in the poll I'm kinda worried that most people would rather have an ad supported version than pay for the full version. You won't make very much.

Are you looking to get a good rep and climb the charts or make a profit?

If 1) then go with your plan 2) limit the lite version, and be light with the ads.

01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I say $0.99 for a few days, then go up to your desired 1.99, 2.99 price point.

Mostly recently SlotZ Racer have done that and it seems they were very successful as their app reached the 5th spot in the US App Store, I believe. While I'm not sure how much exposure Bullet Skater will be getting from reviewers, media, etc. I do know that many people on the forums are anticipating it. If the app is well made, usually users from the forums are fair and provide good reviews that may set the tone for how the app is doing in the store.

EDIT: I meant $0.99 not FREE.

Last edited by BrushMyNoseOff; 01-22-2009 at 01:01 AM.
01-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushMyNoseOff View Post
I say FREE for a few days, then go up to your desired 1.99, 2.99 price point.

Mostly recently SlotZ Racer have done that and it seems they were very successful as their app reached the 5th spot in the US App Store, I believe.
i agree, it seems to work
01-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Lite versions are tricky to get right. First you need a good app that people will be interested in. Then you need to offer enough features to showcase the app and hook people in. The trick is to offer enough to get people interested, but not too much or there is no real incentive for them to pay for the app. People have to want to pay to use the app after trying the lite version. If you give them everything for free then there is no incentive to pay up. I do and I have purchased ad free versions where I have tried and enjoyed a fully featured ad supported lite app. But I sadly suspect that I am in the minority of AppStore users. For this reason I think it unlikely that offering a fully featured ad supported lite version will be enough of an incentive for people to pay for the ad free version. Offering it free for a limited time and then raising the price might work. Perhaps there are some devs out there who can offer you some advice based on their own experiences.
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I say release full featured game for 1.99 then after awhile release the lite ad-supported game with limited features and a time-limit or score limit. If the game is fun(and im sure it is) then people will be incredibly unsatisfied with the very limited free version and get the full version. I usually don't get the full version of a game if there is not as strong a limit unless I am aiming to support the developer. For example, a game that made me wanna get the full version of the game was fuzzle because of the 300 point limit which stopped me from playing once I started getting into the the game.

I think either start at 1.99 then release a free version with strict limits or do what you suggested.

Playing: HookChamp.WheelersTreasure.BaseballSuperstars2010. SniperVsSniper.RealRacing.
Wanting:Command&Conquer.Madden2010.
WaitingList: SpaceTripper.RoguePlanet.MiniSquadron.R-Type.
01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I like your ideas much better, so I guess I will be re-thinking it again before it is released.

The game is expected for release late next month for !@#$% dollars.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I believe that it should be free for only a few days and then raise its price.
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
If the game isn't unusually fun, no one will buy a full version after the lite version. There has to be a reason for people to be willing to pay for it after their curiosity has been satisfied.
01-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Free please!

First game in progress...