★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devs: How to get your game reviewed?

01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Devs: How to get your game reviewed?

Do any of the other devs out there have advice on how to get your game reviewed? We're getting great customer reviews, but it would be nice to be able to put some quotes from review sites into our Appstore description. Thanks!
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm no dev, but from a reviewers perspective:

1. Have a polished, unique game (or complete crap).
2. Offer promo codes (most review sites do not have money)
3. Offer a lite version or something else to give reviewers a copy of your game, which cannot use promo codes
4. Send a nice mail with the appropriate information on the game, release date, description, video link.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Contacting each site directly with a freebie (Ad Hoc's back in the day/non US sites). Many sites are just as flooded with new games these days, so you *must* do this for them to see you at all. Many sites exercise editorial control these days, so it'll be hard to get noticed as something that isn't unique.

Many sites have backlogs, so don't expect a next day review.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I would think you could just go ahead and quote people from the site here...

All you'd have to do is say something like:
"User Oliver from TouchArcade.com says 'This game is freaking awesome!' " or something along those lines.
if you're looking directly for a specific website's take on it, probably send a promo code out, and they'll most likely get back to you shortly with a review! Good luck!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
To sum up:

send promo code to review site with a nice mail asking them to do a review!

Last time I heard GameTrailers.com said they reviewed every single game people send to them (they said so on a podcast at least)
And well.. they don't usually do App reviews, and they said it before the App Store

just send it to Kotaku! if it gets a good review from Kotaku you are pretty much garenteed a server crash! (thats how things often go when on Kotaku)
01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
send promo codes or ad hoc (thats how i write reviews for my website is by getting promo codes but i do take ad hoc also)
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
GameTrailers put my video up, but they don't have a direct iPhone games page link, so you only ever saw it in the main feed. Mobile is the "non" iPhone section. You can expect about 1000 eyeballs before it's old news.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Unless you get a review by a major site (TUAW, PocketGamer) it will not effect sales all that much.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayScreen View Post
Unless you get a review by a major site (TUAW, PocketGamer) it will not effect sales all that much.
That is not true, Alot of these smaller sites do have some loyal fans, and TUAW and Pocketgamer are basically shells and do not give you unbiased anything. I can tell you plenty of BIG sites that stink.

What you need to do is have some creative advertisement and get your app noticed. There are a Million apps coming out each day and TONS of good ones get lost in the muck of crap.
01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post
That is not true, Alot of these smaller sites do have some loyal fans, and TUAW and Pocketgamer are basically shells and do not give you unbiased anything. I can tell you plenty of BIG sites that stink.

What you need to do is have some creative advertisement and get your app noticed. There are a Million apps coming out each day and TONS of good ones get lost in the muck of crap.
Is this creative enough?

Youtube link | Pop Up

The critical thing with apps is to get into the top 50 and/or get featured by Apple. It is not a sure thing.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto