★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To all the people claiming that piracy is not lost sales :

01-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
How much Piracy is lost sales :

Hello,

Now here is some kind of evidence that this is lost sales :

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/13/...t-450-million/

Update, thanks to Toad in the hole :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad In The Hole View Post
Update from same illegal site offering games for FREE.This is from 1 site and figures will be a lot higher if all sites included.

Illegal downloads of pirated games figures:

Asphalt 5 : 245573
Fifa 10 : 133715
The Settlers : 124922
C.O.D Zombies : 125342
Need For Speed Shift : 124558
Driver : 119538
N.O.V.A : 79002
And in 1 day G.T.A Chinatown Wars : 32001

All these games are $5-$10 each and whilst not everyone would of bought the game anyways,they are still huge numbers.
Edit 2 :

Stats about how many times keywords about appstore piracy were typed in Google :

"iphone app download" (you don't "download" apps when you buy it) -> typed 156 million times
"iphone app torrent" -> typed 56 million
"iphone game torrent" -> 31 million
"iphone game crack" -> 28 million
"iphone app crack" -> 16 million times
etc ....

And to make an emphasis with Toad in the Hole's post, I just typed :

"Asphalt 5".

There is barely 20% suggestions that don't concern a relation with piracy.

total suggestions about piracy : 2.168.600

Have a good day

Last edited by c0re; 01-20-2010 at 12:22 PM.
01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
one developer here gone bust and had to sleep under a bridge

last i heard he was mauled by wild dogs

01-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamansimba View Post
one developer here gone bust and had to sleep under a bridge

last i heard he was mauled by wild dogs
You would be surprised ...
01-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0re View Post
You would be surprised ...
No, I wouldn't.

That guy was being sarcastic don'tchaknow?

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten
01-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmar9333 View Post
No, I wouldn't.

That guy was being sarcastic don'tchaknow?

Yep, which is precisely why I wrote that.
01-14-2010, 06:33 AM
The article is wrong. It ignores some little facts: They calculate with 72 million devices of legal customers and 3 million devices of pirating customers and tell you, that if ten percent of these 3 million buy the app, this would be 450 million and therefore, there is a loss of 450 million due to piracy. They completely ignore the HUGE HUGE HUGE bunch of people, who are legal customers, but just don’t buy the app, which are not 300.000, but many many millions of users!

Example:

Rally Master told they have 95% piracy (which is wrong calculated by them). The article mentions 10% jailbroken devices, which are 7.5 million devices. And they take the (wrong) number of 40% piracy from pinch media, which makes their 3 million pirating devices. If you work (like they do) with 75 million devices, this would mean, that 4% of all devices are pirating and 96% don’t. So, if you have about 95% piracy, this means, that 5% of your customers come from a whopping 96% of all users, while 95% of your customers come from 4% of all users. So, the problem is not the piracy, but just the legal customers, who don’t buy the stuff.

-> There is the old appstore-visibility debate again.

Piracy in the AppStore is no problem. Marketing and visibility and app spamming and price wars are the problems. It is a fact, that piracy cannot be a problem, when the number of pirating users is about 4% of all users.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

Last edited by Oliver; 01-14-2010 at 06:37 AM.
01-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Without meaning to offend anyone.
I am in the games industry for over 8 years as an indie developer.

Every now and then, I here the same BS over and over again:

"I have no experience. I made a game based on [INSERT NAME HERE], because I don't want to waste time on work and design. I released the game and after one month I still can't afford a Ferrari. I blame this on [INSERT VARIOUS ENTITIES HERE]".

"Further, if all pirated copied would have been purchased copies, I could have afforded that Ferrari".

Nobody got reach by cloning an idea in 2 weeks.

Piracy figure are high because everyone will take something if it's for free.
Wouldn't you? If you have to pay for it, you will evaluate it prior to a purchase.

----

Personally I can say that my studio did and does well, and that is how it has been for the past years. I don't drive a Ferrari. But I try to develop "new" game ideas.

I have seen the same "App Store craze" over the past 8 years in various areas. There is always a "get rich quick scheme" in town and the hoard of complainers.

----

Make games out of passion, not out of the need for money.
01-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Makes me sad

And angry at the same time

But sad at the end
01-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Piracy in the AppStore is no problem. Marketing and visibility and app spamming and price wars are the problems. It is a fact, that piracy cannot be a problem, when the number of pirating users is about 4% of all users.
You tell yourself whatever you have to, but don't try telling that to my friend who is a single dev and has calculated thousands lost due to piracy.

This is why I hate pirates. They always try to sit on some moral high ground that they are sticking it to the man or whatever, but in reality, they just want shit for free and will come up with any excuse to justify it. You know, on the app store a lot of the time you aren't stealing from Apple, they won't miss the money, you are stealing from a guy like my friend who struggles to pay rent every month while watching thousands of dollars get siphoned off by jackass pirates.

You know what, if someone mans up and just admits that they steal shit because they want it for free, I can at least halfway respect the honesty. It just boils my blood when you try to justify it with the whole "I'm teaching Apple a lesson" or some such nonsense.