★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Trek Quest is based on the computer game Super Star Trek that was wildly popular in the seventies. Trek Quest not only captures the excitement and game play features of the original Super Star Trek console game, but brings it into the 21st century with updated graphics and the same modern themes you see in sci-fi movies. Click "...More" to learn why you should download this App today!

You are commander of the U.S.S. Protector, and it is your mission to defend the galaxy against the corrupt forces of the Krygons invasion fleet. The entire galaxy is your battlefield; which is divided off into 64 numbered quadrants. There are 8 rows of 8 to help you distinguish which aliens are in which quadrants, and which ones you need to focus on. However you only need to concern yourself with those intruders that inhabit the quadrant that you are patrolling.

Trek Quest features:
* Accurate re-creation of the classic Super Star Trek computer game
* Game Center integration
* Supports IOS 4
* Easy to use controls
* Engaging game play
* Three levels of play
* Trainee mode for learning the basics

Use the phaser and photon torpedo weapons in your arsenal to help you gain control over your diabolical enemy. Use your deflector shields to ward off attacks; and survey the battlefield with your long range and short range scanners. You can also use a galaxy map, or star chart, to get a feel for what lays ahead of you.

Trek Quest includes a trainee section and 3 increasingly difficult levels of play. The difference between the levels is the number of enemy craft which increase with the rank you select. The starting energy level of your ship and the remaining playing time also decrease as you progress from one level to the next. The trainee helps you learn the navigation of your ship, and how to operate the weapon systems. In this mode you start out nice and easy, with only one enemy and one star base in each quadrant. After you complete each quadrant, that sector will turn blue so you will know which areas you've already conquered.

Move about under warp drive or impulse power but be aware that the enemy is lurking, waiting to attack you. When your ship gets hit, your equipment may sustain damage. If that happens, the damage reports screens show the estimated time needed to repair your craft. If your rig becomes disabled, you can take a break at a star base and rest while your repairs are being taken care of.

Infinite space brings infinite possibilities for mass destruction, so it's important to travel carefully into the cosmos. Download Trek Quest now, because the Krygons are coming and you may be the galaxy's only hope.

The images of starships and star bases are coming from Fotolia.com, by the artist Innovari.
The images of ship's interiors are coming from Fotolia.com, by the artist MAXFX.
The LCARS screens are based upon the designs of Michael Okuda and his Okudagrams.
Star Trek, Starfleet, The United Federation of Planets, and ALL related marks are trademarks of CBS, Paramount Pictures and ViaCom Productions. All rights reserved.

DaveMc99's comments:

http://www.schosoft.com/page2/page2.html
01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh dear. I guess anyone who wants this game should grab it before it's gone. The changes are superficial enough to where I don't think this one will be hanging around for long...

01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Any impressions? Never played the games in the desc and they make it sound like an essay on the history of text based gaming... None too thrilling. Still I'm a 2nd gen Trekker...

[EPIC SIGNATURE] shumby [/EPIC SIGNATURE]
01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Super Star Trek is more about computer history than Star Trek. The program was a popular BASIC program that first made the rounds of various universities before being leaked to the public during the microcomputer boom. (Microcomputer is what we today refer to as a "PC". Except that they tended to hook up to televisions.)

Wikipedia has a good article on the game here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(text_game)

There are a number of versions of the game, many cataloged here:
http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/

If you have a Java enabled browser, you can play Super Star Trek online here:
http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/st.html

I have no idea if this version of the game is any good. I was always a fan of EGA Trek, myself. But it certainly looks a bit... odd. *shrug* Who knows? Anyone brave enough to TOFTT?

Last edited by thewiirocks; 01-15-2010 at 12:56 AM.
01-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
Anyone brave enough to TOFTT?
TOFTTed.

First impressions:
It's alright I guess. Graphical elements are all nice and NextGenny. I don't really mind hiding the syntax behind buttons but... it feels like more than just the input method has been dumbed down. Also, I am being attacked before I even have a chance to check short range sensors. WTF? Wait a minute. Thanks. And Klingons are Krygons for no apparent reason. And there are no Romulans (or Rodulams or whatever wacky name strikes the dev's fancy, I don't know.) It is worth picking up for 99 cents if your name is Blake Patterson. I probably won't keep it around long but I am now hopelessly addicted to this version.
01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Game Impressions

The interface is very much like "star trek next generation," but in a bad way: on the show, all the buttons were static, basically like a 1980's computer keyboard. The screens were small and fixed in place. The iPhone can do better than this.

It's a shame that the devs chose to use screen-filling buttons rather than a true touch interface. As a result of their design choices, the tactical screen is tiny and you have to set your course with calculator buttons rather than pointing and clicking. This gameplay obstacle was cleared with mouse-driven versions of the game 20 years ago, so I'm not very happy with this throwback.

Here are some old games that got the updated Trek genre right. I think that ports, remakes, or reimaginings of these titles would work nicely on iPhone:

Star Fleet I: The War Begins! is essentially the same old mainframe Trek game, but allows you to use the mouse instead of just the keyboard. This was ported to the classic Macintosh around 1987.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fl...The_War_Begins

Rescue! was originally programmed with non-licensed digital sound effects from the TV show, but was rewritten at Paramount's request to be a generic space game. It's completely mouse-driven and would be a wonderful pick-up-and-play game in the same genus as this game BUT with modern controls and pacing.
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=14030

Because of this disappointment, next time I see a Trek-like game on the iPhone, I'll be more careful with my money. Devs should either use the touch screen properly or not bother with the platform, in my opinion.

Last edited by JindoFox; 01-15-2010 at 11:44 AM.
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I bought Trek Quest. It isn't terrible. Probably the best of the Trek-themed game available at present, much better than Deep Space Newt.

I agree that the interface needs more work. Jumping between helm and weapons screen takes time and you end up always taking hits from enemy ships during the process.

The biggest downside for me is the lack of variety in gameplay. You can literally win by flying around, firing torpedoes, restocking at Starbase, and repeating the process until you destroy all enemies.
08-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Updated. The inescapable imaginary star base bug has been squashed.