★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tumbledrop is a finalist in the IGF Mobile 2010 awards!

Edge Magazine
"It has a pleasant immediacy, can be understood in a single glance, and scales to a full campaign far better than you might initially imagine."

The Guardian
"Tumbledrop is a work of some finesse."

Bytejacker:
"Wed be hard-pressed to come up with a Flash game that fits the iPhones touchscreen interface better than Tumbledrop."

148apps.com
"I found the level of challenge to be excellentnever did I hit a permanent brick wall, but I was challenged often enough that redos were frequent."

Touch iPhone Games
"Vibrant, colourful, and wonderfully executed. In terms of value, it is a no-brainer."

--

Tumbledrop is cute, addictive and occasionally maddening. It's a physics-based puzzle game from game designer Hayden Scott-Baron.

Remove the shapes to safely land the pink star, but watch out! One wrong move could send it tumbling into the water! Crazy interlocking shapes add to the fun and the challenge.

- Play single-handed on the bus or train.
- Compete for high scores in random levels with the new Quick Play option, and share them with Facebook and Twitter.
- Explore new levels, now with multiple islands and tilting see-saws.
- Puzzle over crazy new shapes, including gravity defying balloons.
- Earn over 150 medals by beating level challenges.
- Start with 80 levels, then download more soon in a free update.

Dock's comments:

Lite : http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/tumbledrop-free/id351863076?mt=8

This is Tumbledrop, a game I made. http://tumbledrop.com
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuGAZudQ3E

You can also play the original PC version of the game here (browser based, but uses the Unity3D Plugin).

Just a little history, I used to work doing artwork for games like LostWinds and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2+3, but I went indie in 2009 and this is my first iPhone release. Please let me know what you think.
01-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Loved the original. The look, feel and gameplay.

So I'll buy this <3

01-15-2010, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthlaser View Post
Loved the original. The look, feel and gameplay.

So I'll buy this <3
Thank-you! Did you play the original some time ago?
01-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Looks awesome. Loving the gameplay and the super-cute graphics!

Quick question: I see the game keeps a record of your moves... Is that merely for besting your own scores on subsequent re-plays? Is it for earning gold / silver / bronze medals? Or is there a cut-off limit on the number of moves per level?

P.S: Your App-Store description is very short. Whilst I appreciate the need to sum up the game in one or two lines in the first paragraph, what with the Store's new "description-clipping" layout, why not include the rest of the gameplay description from your development blog after the jump?
The one from here: http://starfruitgames.com/blog/?p=86#more-86
People who just chance upon it in the App-Store (rather than on forums like this one) may have no clue what the game is about...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 01-15-2010 at 04:27 AM.
01-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock View Post
Thank-you! Did you play the original some time ago?
Indeed. I think I came across it on the TIG-forums.
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
How are there 100 medals to earn with only 60 levels?

Also he does need to add to his app store description as on the blog it mentions a random free play mode that is not in the appstore description!

EDIT: just saw were he helped with the art in Lost Winds and just wanted to thank him gor helping with such an awesome WiiWare game!

EDIT 2: Bought!

Last edited by zztfox; 01-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I grabbed it last night and I'm lovin' it!

Twitter: @bgribin
01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Video embedded:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
What I am really liking about this game is that there are 2 medals you can go for in a stage, which gives you three ways to approach a stage:

1) Just get the pink star to the bottom of a stage (basic clear)

2) Trying to get the pink star to the bottom of a stage in smallest number of moves (star medal, and what most games like this aim for)

3) The most unique way of clearing a stage, in which you have to make the MOST moves you can make! And that means removing all the blocks and not letting any of them fall in the water. (heart medal)

The heart medals are made even harder to get by the fact that you cannot just tap every block at once and make them all go away, there is a recharge time for each tap!

Also nice is the quick play option which randomly plays levels you have unlocked and you have to see how many you can beat without losing the pink star. The medal system is also used in this mode by giving extra points for getting them.

Ex) beating a stage by basic clear gives 1 point, clearing it with a heart medal (most moves) gives 2 points, and clearing with a star medal (least moves) gives 3 points. The quick play also only records your highest score, no top 10 list or anything. You can post your results to Twitter or Facebook, however.

Also about the theme, it is kind of cute, but I have not found it overbearing (no annoying voices sound effects, etc...).

All in all, a great value at $1.99, especially if you like these physics kind of games, and even more if you are a collectionist (getting all the medals)

Last edited by zztfox; 01-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Looks amazing mate, great job!

Good luck with it.

Jon Lim
Founder of MustTap.com
Twitter | Facebook