★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Promocodes giveaway. Does it make any sense?

01-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Promocodes giveaway. Does it make any sense?

Hi! Maybe there is the thread dedicated to promocode giveaways on this forum...
So what can you tell about promocodes giveaways? Are they really good way to promote your app? What is your experience?
01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
My personal experience is that I've had little- to no effect by promocode give-aways. I aknowledge though that my less than stellar success is probably due mostly to the nature of my previous apps.

I believe promo code-giveaways could be useful as a tool the get the word-of-mouth going if you have a title that you believe should spark interest.

01-15-2010, 09:11 AM
I find that promocode give aways have generated interest in our game and, though not making a huge difference in sales, does get the game out there and creates some loyal fans who will do reviews for you and the like.
I feel for our next update, I will be a little more aware of where they are going. we ran out pretty quickly.
definitely feel it is a good way to generate "buzz" around your game or an update. whether or not that leads to sales in abundance is dependent on the game i think.

working with my partner Psionic, to promote his game: Running with Scissors:Pre-season. Excited to learn, share and help.
Follow us on Twitter
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I believe a well-hyped game would do well to have a promo code giveaway in the form of a contest. That used to be the original idea, at least; the contest atmosphere would help anticipation for the game.

It seems that somewhere along the way a few developers forgot the point (or just got lazy) and are just giving away promo codes left and right without a contest, which doesn't do very much by way of marketing at all.
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Blindly giving away promo codes in bulk is only slightly more useless than submitting them to the typical overwhelmed review site.

One nice way to build goodwill is to offer them to folk that have tried a lite version of a game and provided feedback. Putting promo codes into enthusiastic fan's hands is usually a win-win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParadox View Post
I believe a well-hyped game would do well to have a promo code giveaway in the form of a contest. That used to be the original idea, at least; the contest atmosphere would help anticipation for the game.

It seems that somewhere along the way a few developers forgot the point (or just got lazy) and are just giving away promo codes left and right without a contest, which doesn't do very much by way of marketing at all.
01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
i believe that giving codes to reviewers will do you good (toucharcade, slidetoplay, etc)

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
i believe toucharcade specifically requests that you do not submit promo codes when asking them to review your game.
01-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
i believe toucharcade specifically requests that you do not submit promo codes when asking them to review your game.
I thought it was just if you were asking for a 5 star review.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
i believe that giving codes to reviewers will do you good (toucharcade, slidetoplay, etc)
Cept for this kid.

This is what I would do, in order of priority:
1. Give promo codes away to people you know will give feedback, and reviews.
2. Start a contest (twitter, icon, game ideas, etc.). Something that requires people actually DOING work. But throughout the contest make sure you hype up your game a bit (too much is bad). People WILL be looking at your game for the contest. Then offer only like 5-10 codes. That way you can hold more contests in the future without waiting for an update.
3. Send a video of your game, with all the information needed to a major review site (Slide to Play, etc.). DON'T send it in to the smaller sites. I'm sorry to all those reviewers, but they just dont have a big following. Ask if they want to review it, if they do send a code.
4. If you become desperate ask people to PM you for a code.

But NEVER just giveaway codes. it's a complete waste.