★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Which racing game?

10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Which racing game?

I want to buy a car racing game. I have Cro-Mag Rally but will like to have a more real life racing game. Anybody know? Is Asphlat worth $10!
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I think asphalt is a fun game, but EA is releasing Need for Speed sometime in the near future so you might want to wait for that before buying.

10-01-2008, 10:15 PM
If you don't want to wait for NFS, get Asphalt 4. It's the most amazing game I've played yet. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, so I don't know how it holds up to newer racing games (I used to love the original NFS), but it's a well made and very fun game. There are a ton of cars to race and even motorcycles. To me, the bikes are worth the price of the game alone.
There're also different game modes and lots of tracks.

Even if you're not shopping for a racing game, I'd suggest getting it. You won't regret it.
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I think Asphalt 4 and Raging Thunder are the "funnest" of the racing games.

10-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I've been looking into this, too. I also have Cro-Mag but played it so much years ago on Mac I'd like something different. I think I've decided on Raging Thunder. Isn't Asphalt more about crashing into other cars and doesn't it have street traffic in addition to the racers? How much does that take away from pedal-to-the-medal action?
10-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Asphalt 4

get asphalt 4, while cro mag is an ok game, asphalt is a superb game with tons of playability and races. Of course, you could wait for need for speed. But if you have the $$, asphalt is definately worth it!
10-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Moto Chaser: Checkpoint racer with motocycles, really nice speed feeling, very fluid graphics, nice music

Nitro Kart 3D: Mario Kart clone with frame rate drops going to make the game unplayable with more than three karts around. Feels slow.

GTS: Very boring racing game with a strange on-rails-feeling while you tilt (it does not react to calm tilting) and nearly no intelligence on your opponents - they even crash directly into your car. No motor sound of other cars. Tracks look all the same. No feeling of speed.

Pole Position: The one and only retro racer. You explode when you touch other cars. Nice feeling of speed. Also the only formula 1 racer.

Asphalt 4: The biggest racer and the one, which feels most as a "real game". It's not formula 1, it's street racing, with police, helicopters and other cars. Nice feeling of speed. Using tilt control it prefers to "nitro" and drift, when you don't want it to.

Raging Thunder: More Arcade feeling than Asphalt 4 with fewer content. Fewer content must not be bad. If the garage tuning stuff in Asphalt 4 sucks to you, Raging Thunder might be the better game for you, where the tuning part exists, but is only a nice-to-have. You also have ramps and checkpoint racing. Graphics are better than in Asphalt 4 with more colors and the cars look great, especially when tilting, but overall it feels more like driving on a kart than through a real town.

My conclusion:

Raging Thunder and Moto Chaser are very very nice games to play withing a few minutes. Moto Chaser is the oldest and therefore most polished/bug-free game. Asphalt 4 takes more time to it, but of course is the "bigger" game and you don't drive through racing tracks, but through a real town. The tilt controls in Asphalt 4 take more time getting used to them, because they are more sensitive than in both other games. And the loading time of Asphalt 4 sucks, especially because it likes to crash within menus (before saving your results... ). Raging Thunder is the newest game, it feels polished but sometimes the sound disappears. So take a look at these three games. If you don't like motocycles, only two games are left . And if you don't want to play hours and hours but only have fifteen minutes of fun, Raging Thunder is your choice.
10-02-2008, 05:03 AM
The op was asking for a more 'real life' realistic racing game, but unfortunately there isn't one at the moment.
My favourite is Asphalt4, mainly for it massive content and variety (upgrades, different race types, a multitude of cars/bikes to buy etc), plus there is other traffic on the road to dodge too.
Raging Thunder is a close second as, although it controls better, the content is lacking.
Moto Chaser is a great arcade racer too, and it stands on it's own with it being the only A-B racer (the rest are course races).
GTS is just plain boring. This game has 60+ tracks, but you'd be asleep after the first 2.
10-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, it's of course interesting what's a "real life" racer for him . Formula 1? Street racing? Kart racing? All three types exist in the real world .
10-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Well, it's of course interesting what's a "real life" racer for him . Formula 1? Street racing? Kart racing? All three types exist in the real world .
True mate. I think what he meant by that is 'realistic'. That's my guess anyway.