★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Devs, why do you make games?

01-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Devs, why do you make games?

Really. Most people say it's a waste of time. I personally say games are great.

Stuff like Blue Attack! and Bullet Skater must hold something that you love! What is it?

Last edited by DHrox; 01-22-2009 at 07:29 PM.
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Games in general?

I like creating stuff, whatever the medium. Games just happen to be something where you can get quite creative with the tools given to you (a screen) and seeing as it's a quick results medium (not like a movie where you have to sit down and pay attention) most people are keen to see what it does...

I kinda mean, it's quick to get a reaction, and a good reaction boosts the ego

edit: oh and it doesn't take long to create stuff. You can throw up tetris in 20 minutes, but it takes ages to make a decent short movie. You can get away with crappy (read: coded cubes or dots) graphics in games, but not really with paintings, movies, sculptures etc.

Last edited by HouseTreeRobot; 01-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.

01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseTreeRobot View Post
Games in general?

I like creating stuff, whatever the medium. Games just happen to be something where you can get quite creative with the tools given to you (a screen) and seeing as it's a quick results (not like a movie where you have to sit down and pay attention) most people are keen to see what it does...

I kinda mean, it's quick to get a reaction, and a good reaction boosts the ego
I understand precisely what you mean. I think up cool new stuff but I don't have the programming talent to even remotely create something.
Often times they'd be the most kick-butt stuff.
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Money. And the games that devs create are probably things that they would like to play and decide to share it with the world.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
Money. And the games that devs create are probably things that they would like to play and decide to share it with the world.
Exactly. a lot of the time it's for fun, and they hope they can make some money and make some people happy with their game. Or, that's the case for a lot of small devs, at least

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah money too. If we don't make enough to pay the bills it's back to working on some uninspired lisence title for someone in a suit.
01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseTreeRobot View Post
Oh yeah money too. If we don't make enough to pay the bills it's back to working on some uninspired lisence title for someone in a suit.
I hear that. It's, like, the American dream to make a living doing something you love.
01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Exactly. a lot of the time it's for fun, and they hope they can make some money and make some people happy with their game. Or, that's the case for a lot of small devs, at least
Yeah. BTW, whoever got rid of the Hexile post, thanks. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I'm still kinda new.
01-22-2009, 07:51 PM
It's a job with great hours, no heavy lifting and we get to count everything we play, watch or read as R&D

It's also the only job I can pass the psych tests for.
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwilnik View Post
it's a job with great hours, no heavy lifting and we get to count everything we play, watch or read as r&d

it's also the only job i can pass the psych tests for.
lol. Rofl.