Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 AM

i feel bad about double-posting, but not bad enough to keep from doin' it, because after spending a couple of hours playing ctw with a controller today, i figured i should give an update. playing it with a controller is still a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, BUT, there are a couple bigger issues i came across today. when approaching a dealer or dumpster while using a controller, the "touch here to.." prompt appears on the screen, with no alternatives on the controller that i've found to trigger what tapping the prompt would do (i tried every button lol). also, i haven't figured out a way, if there is any, to access your phone's pause screen with a controller. maybe i just haven't figured it out, but there seem to be those couple of pretty crucial actions missing from the controller, at least for now. again, still a joy to play with one, but those definitely seemed worth mentioning

edit: also, scrolling in the apartment doesn't work with mfi controllers and projectiles are a chore to aim/throw

i know it sounds like i'm dishing out a lot of complaints, but i've been playing it for literally hours with the controller now because of how much i'm enjoying it, it really is a ton of fun despite the paragraphs of criticism i wrote lol

Last edited by dudewelcome; 12-20-2014 at 02:59 AM..
Old Today, 01:51 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewelcome View Post
playing it with a controller is still a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, BUT, there are a couple bigger issues i came across today.
I ran into similar problems, but at least on my Moga Rebel I can access the PDA's menu using the start button (I think that's what you meant?)

Also, yeah, you can't scroll in your apartment with the controller, and although you CAN deal with drug dealers using the controller it's kind of a pain in the ass. Instead of mapping the different parts of the drug buying/selling interface to buttons, they've instead implemented a cursor that you move around the screen with an analog stick to click on the different selections. It works, it's just clunky.

The biggest issue I had so far was an early mission where you're stealing crates off the back of a flatbed truck and tossing them into your friend's truck that's following behind you. The crate throwing didn't work at all with a controller, I had to actually turn mine off and redo that mission using the touch controls.

Like you said though, they're pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things. I can deal with the occasional problem when doing a mission, but using a controller just to run around the city and cause havoc is a lot of fun.
Old Today, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
I ran into similar problems, but at least on my Moga Rebel I can access the PDA's menu using the start button (I think that's what you meant?)

Also, yeah, you can't scroll in your apartment with the controller, and although you CAN deal with drug dealers using the controller it's kind of a pain in the ass. Instead of mapping the different parts of the drug buying/selling interface to buttons, they've instead implemented a cursor that you move around the screen with an analog stick to click on the different selections. It works, it's just clunky.

The biggest issue I had so far was an early mission where you're stealing crates off the back of a flatbed truck and tossing them into your friend's truck that's following behind you. The crate throwing didn't work at all with a controller, I had to actually turn mine off and redo that mission using the touch controls.

Like you said though, they're pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things. I can deal with the occasional problem when doing a mission, but using a controller just to run around the city and cause havoc is a lot of fun.
you're definitely right there.
and i that is what i was talkingí about, the stratus doesnít have a pause button, weirdly enough, though it does have a button with a pause icon on it that actually acts as the home button

and youíre right on about the drug dealing, but i havenít found out how to begin interacting with dealers without tapping the screen (tapping that little prompt to begin trading)
on a lighter note, i realized you actually can scroll in your apartment by clicking and dragging (imitating the swipe motion with the that annoying cursor you mentioned), so thatís good haha

if i figure anything out iíll report back, and thanks for the tips and input! i havenít gotten around to re-re-(-re?-)replaying the story, but iíll get to that soon too. i know exactly the mission youíre talking about, zhouís first one, and it deals with the same throwing distance mechanic that makes tossing grenades and molotovs with the controller so annoying, in my opinion lol

but yeah! like weíve said, loads of fun, especially in the long term, little bothersome details aside. hopefully theyíll revise the controls just a little bit, because thatís really all the revision they need