★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Racjin Co.,Ltd.
  • Genre: Racing
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 2.6 MB
  • Version: 1.3.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: You can't get any more old-school than this retro car racing game!

Black and white graphics!
8-bit soundtrack!
Simple controls!

The primitive aspects might make you smile in nostalgia, but the gripping, modern gameplay will bring you straight back to the present!
How it Works

Touch to accelerate, and slide to move left and right as you try to break your records!
The game ends when you crash into other cars and hazards or you run out of fuel.
You'll need to learn to avoid hazards at high speeds to score even better times!
Course Variation

Rain makes it harder to move to the side, while tunnels
make it impossible to see anything beyond your headlights!
The game's full of elements that'll keep you on your toes!

Players can choose their difficulty level, from easy to near impossible
courses, allowing anyone to enjoy the game at a level suited to them.
Controls

Touch to accelerate, and lift your finger to decelerate.
Slide to move right and left to avoid hazards.
The key to victory is to skillfully adjust your speed as you avoid hazards.

Game Highlights

-An old-school racing game with B&W graphics and an 8-bit soundtrack.
-A unique game world featuring retro elements and modern gameplay.
-Simple controls. All you need to do is touch and slide!
-Numerous time records and levels of difficulty to challenge.

goiMot's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Hmm. Has potential, but falls into that looks-like-it's-trying-to-be-retro trap where the game seems to portray that it knows theoretically what retro is but isn't quite pulling it off. Those smooth angles in the graphics and the fonts -- especially with the car angling into its turn in the screenshot above -- look totally anachronistic in a retro setting. I like the idea, and it's almost got that classic look, but black & white doesn't make it retro.

(Hey, there are rules if you bill your game "retro" mmkay? Us purists are gonna call you on it if you break 'em.)

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll be giving this a try later. Looks like a pretty slick remake of Sega's 1980 Monaco GP (which, ironically, was in color) - the "headlights" area in particular.

You can see it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lGUFQ6_I6c

A lot of ancient games (i.e. Atari's Firetruck) actually did have smooth rotation using analog hardware. I don't mind the look of the fonts at all - reminds me of vector graphics, which are as retro as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Hmm. Has potential, but falls into that looks-like-it's-trying-to-be-retro trap where the game seems to portray that it knows theoretically what retro is but isn't quite pulling it off. Those smooth angles in the graphics and the fonts -- especially with the car angling into its turn in the screenshot above -- look totally anachronistic in a retro setting. I like the idea, and it's almost got that classic look, but black & white doesn't make it retro.

(Hey, there are rules if you bill your game "retro" mmkay? Us purists are gonna call you on it if you break 'em.)
01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I went ahead and gave this game a chance, because I love the word "retro". I'm glad to say that my first impressions are good. The game starts you out on a racing course and the controls are very simple. To accelerate you hold down your finger, and you slide your finger to move. There really isn't that much content from what I can see, but for $.99 it's not a bad deal. There are 5 "courses", but they are really pretty much just difficulty levesl. It seems like a great casual game, with a black and white basic retro art. The sounds are very retro-ish too. The only real problem is the amount of content. Although there is some replay value, there just isn't much content. You have to unlock the "courses" by beating them. (e.g. You must start on very easy then you can play on easy etc.), if the publisher could promise more content in the future, I could suggest this game to everyone. But at this moment, I would say it's just a good casual game.

EDIT: Yes Stroffolino is correct, it is very similar to Monaco GP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lGUFQ6_I6c

Last edited by Twiddle; 01-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Any plans for local multiplayer with BT or wifi ? and leaderboards ?
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I have no idea, I hope so, because right now it doesn't have enough content.
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
So will this be updated? Has anyone else tried it out and got some feedback on how it plays?
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
version 1.1 is out:
What's new:

We have made some improvements!

・3 new courses added
・All courses unlocked
・A few minor bug fixes

link to the lite version:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retro-driver-lite/id351268505?mt=8

Last edited by goiMot; 03-11-2010 at 12:25 PM.
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post

mmmkay mr mackey mmmkay
03-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Mmm tried the lite and I have mixed feelings about this one. The art style is great with plenty on nice touches, controls are easy and responsive, but... you just run a course together with a bunch of other cars until it ends, and it tells you how much time it took to you. No other game objective - apart from the risk of ending the fuel if you don't pick up fuel barrels.
Is the full game the same way, just with more courses?