★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rampant Speculation about the Apple Tablet

01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Rampant Speculation about the Apple Tablet

So the co-owner of Sinecure Industries actually got off his duff (okay, he does all the programming, he's kind of busy) and wrote down all his thoughts on what to expect from the Apple Tablet, or iSlate or whatever the heck they're calling it.

What do you guys think? Sound like he's going down the right path? Regardless, are you guys planning to make things for the Tablet as well or is it going to mainly be a novelty?

I honestly have no idea (I was never really into Apple before I started Sinecure Industries with him, but it's growing on me, he's a lifelong devotee), but here's a link to the blog post anyway: http://bit.ly/8ksPcE
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the tip! I just bought ilifetouch.com I hope your name prediction is correct.$$

01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Cyber-squatting will always be the least amount of work for the most profit, props to you
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
With Illusion Labs taking their apps to a higher level, I think they may have an inside man. One thing to consider though, is whatever this product is, it will not be a mobile device. It will be portable, sure, but I currently own a Tablet PC and would never bother to fill it with $0.99 apps like I would my cell phone.

This doesn't mean I'm going to disregard development on the platform, considering all the supposed similarities between iPhone OS, but I don't imagine Apple being able to duplicate the success for indie devs.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
With Illusion Labs taking their apps to a higher level, I think they may have an inside man. One thing to consider though, is whatever this product is, it will not be a mobile device. It will be portable, sure, but I currently own a Tablet PC and would never bother to fill it with $0.99 apps like I would my cell phone.

This doesn't mean I'm going to disregard development on the platform, considering all the supposed similarities between iPhone OS, but I don't imagine Apple being able to duplicate the success for indie devs.
I own a Tablet PC as well, or did, until it fell and the screen shattered. The tablet portion of my PC was a workhorse, mainly used for design, sketching and illustration. This is a stark contrast to my iPhone, which uses the touch screen mainly for entertainment (games).

The Apple Tablet needs to be fully functional as a replacement to the MacBook Pro (as a Graphics/Design tool). This includes full functionality with Adobe products and other design tools, multitasking and capable of accepting peripherals (mouse, keyboard).

Overall, it needs to be functional and useful. I hope it isn't a 'bigger version' of the iPhone.

If it is capable of meeting these basic needs- I no longer have a need for a Tablet PC.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I know I'm quite alone with my own thoughts on such a device right now, but I believe it could be huge, even bigger than the iPhone, and it could change the computer industry as we currently know it.

When I imagine a large touchscreen iPhone/Mac hybrid, it immediately makes me think of sitting on my couch browsing the web on a nicely sized screen, scrolling, switching tabs, and opening links with my fingers and how delightfully comfortable that would be. But further from that I also think about a whole plethora of apps: video editing, photo editing, graphics animation, 3D design, music software, etc... and how much more versatile they would become if you could use your fingers to control them. Anything from Apple's iLife suite, or any of their professional software could all translate incredibly to touchscreen tablet format. In fact, when I think about the majority of software, I realize how rarely we actually use the keyboard. I've spent about 30 hours in Final Cut Studio over the weekend and I never needed to type a thing. But even when we do need to do some serious word processing or coding — applications that do require keyboards — how about simply taking the tablet over to your table, sitting it in a little dock stand and then using one of the slim apple keyboards over bluetooth?

People talk about if it's going to be a kindle, or a large iphone, or a tablet Mac…… I think i'll be none of those things… yet it'll be all of them, and more. I really believe it could be huge, and potentially replace the idea of desktops and laptop computers, if done right… and that's the key phrase: if done right. But I think if anyone could do it, Apple could.

Last edited by EssentialParadox; 01-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Graphic design is the main functionality I want out of the tablet, being able to take your ideas around with you and sketch things out quickly without the extra fussiness of having a laptop. Games would definitely be neat, and I hope we do see stuff from guys like the Illusion Labs team, but I don't think anyone is expecting it to reach the level the iPhone has as far as apps go. Apple are probably dead against it, people might start using their iPhones as a phone again and reserving their fun for the tablet.

Oh yes, and as EssentialParadox says... excellent web support, obviously.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
...I don't think anyone is expecting it to reach the level the iPhone has as far as apps go.
EssentialParadox thinks so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParadox
I believe it could be huge, even bigger than the iPhone, and it could change the computer industry as we currently know it.
01-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParadox View Post
I really believe it could be huge, and potentially replace the idea of desktops and laptop computers, if done right… and that's the key phrase: if done right. But I think if anyone could do it, Apple could.
Good call on that
01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
I'm definitely interested in developing for it whatever the heck it turns out to be!

I will be on the website purchasing one the minute it is available.

Just call me "fanboi"!

Now I just have to think of the killer app or game for a piece of hardware with unknown specifications, capabilities and APIs!

How about Charmed with a grid of like 30x30 Charms! Ya, that's the ticket!
(just kidding! )