★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Bad Apples is a puzzle game that puts a juicy spin on the popular and classic match-3 genre. Match good fruit, but watch out for bad apples!

Rotten fruit has never tasted so good! ~AppStruck review

Bad Apples includes a never-ending arcade mode with four difficulty levels as well as 100 challenging puzzles. This game will entertain even the pickiest puzzle player! Bad Apples offers hours of strategic gameplay for everyone from puzzle masters to casual gamers.

Features:

-Match-3 gameplay with a juicy twist!
-Colorful characters, both good and evil
-Unique shake-to-drop iOS mechanics
-Universal app optimized graphics for every iOS device
-Leaderboards and achievements through OpenFeint and GameCenter
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Looks nice but when is Stonewall Brawl coming to the iPhone?
01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
The game is pretty funny. It seems like another match 3 but there are some interesting mechanics.

You can only swap two tiles before new fruits fall.

New fruits are lined up at the top so you can see where they are going to fall. There is also a "ghost" of the fruit that is about to fall to help you out.

Crusher fruits destroy the fruit under it messing things up.

EDIT:

Didn't notice this but you can upgrade the app for 1.99
You get:
2 more difficulty levels (in the app you only get easy)
New "timed" mode
New enemy - worm (rots apples every turn)
25 additional puzzle levels

Last edited by VeganTnT; 01-18-2010 at 08:16 PM.
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
good to know, the app description doesn't say anything about DLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
good to know, the app description doesn't say anything about DLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Apples Description
The first expansion pack (purchasable from within the game) unlocks two new difficulty settings, timed mode (which requires you to think fast!), 25 additional puzzle levels, and a brand new enemy to contend with!
So it wasn't like they springed the DLC from out of nowhere.

With that out of the way I think it is a pretty cool take on match 3.

The most novel aspect would have to be the Bad Apples themselves. They are probably the single most common piece and if three or more of them line up you get hit with a score penalty (based on how big a grouping just got made, God forbid you accidentally create a cascading chain of these nasty pieces) and your "Bad Apple Juice Gage" fills up a bit. If pieces stack over the top of the field or this "Bad Apple Juice Gage" completely fills it is game over! To clear a level you need to fill the good "Juice Gage" all the way up.

Each level starts off fresh with no good or bad juice so if you just managed to squeak by the last level barely avoiding the nasty fate of a filled naughty juice gage, no worries as you'll start the next level with a clean slate.

Row of pieces keep dropping from the top but if at any point you want to speed up when they drop you can give your iDevice a little shake.

You gain beneficial power-ups (a special version of one of the game's standard colored pieces) whenever the good juice hits certain levels (clearly marked on the gage) which tend to create different types of explosions to clear out neighboring pieces if properly matched or involved in an explosion of another power-up.

The game also features DOZENS of clever achievements, each indicated with a unique little icon (and they don't bother you with this announcement until you've actually finished your current level at which point you are free to look at your current Agon trophy case to check out your newly won awards before heading onto the next level.

Lastly, something cute and strange, the game even tracks on Agon your WORST score for each difficulty level (with the negative penalties possible via the Bad Apples, if unlucky enough you could end up with a score several thousand in the red!).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews