★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: PlayScreen GEARHEADS Trivia Contest: Promo code for Pigs a Pop'n

01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
PlayScreen GEARHEADS Trivia Contest: Promo code for Pigs a Pop'n

Another REALLY HARD trivia contest for Gearheads.

Win a promo code for Pigs a Pop'n.

The rules:

1. No editing of messages.

2. I decide the winner. Please no whining ....

The question:

This car:

Had a transmission with a freewheel. You let off the gas and the engine goes to idle. Just like a bicycle where you can stop pedaling and just coast. I once owned one and I was always curious about the feature. What does the car have a freewheel? Yes, it can help MPG a bit (particularly with a carb'ed engine) but that is NOT the reason these cars have a freewheel.

Why does the SAAB 96 (see, aren't I nice) have a Freewheel in it's transmission (4 speed, column shift by the way)?

There is a single reason.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, don't forget ... please support P.O.P., People against the Overfeeding of Pigs.

Youtube link | Pop Up

(You can now view this in 'High-Quality' at the Youtube link.)

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto

01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
thats ur car!?? sweet!!
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floob View Post
thats ur car!?? sweet!!
I had one in college for a year or so. Paid $350 for it.

My next car was a Mercedes 200 Sedan that I paid $850 for and drove another 100k miles. That was sweet.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
An analogous condition exists in an automobile with a manual transmission going down hill or any situation where the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, closing the throttle; the wheels want to drive the engine, possibly at a higher RPM. In a two-stroke engine this is a lethal situation: as the engine depends on fuel for lubrication, a shortage of fuel to the engine would result in a shortage of oil in the cylinders, and the pistons would seize after a very short time causing extensive engine damage. Saabs used a freewheel system in the two-stroke models for this reason and maintained it in the Saab 96 V4 and early Saab 99 for better fuel efficiency.
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Encyclopedia > Freewheel
For information about the bicycle component, see Cassette (bicycle part).
This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2007)
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.

Freewheel mechanismIn mechanical or automotive engineering, a freewheel or overrunning clutch is a device in a transmission that disengages the driveshaft from the driven shaft when the driven shaft rotates faster than the driveshaft. An overdrive is sometimes mistakenly called a freewheel, but is otherwise unrelated. On a bicycle, the cassette or the freewheel is the set of rear sprockets that attaches to a hub on the rear wheel. ... This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons, a repository of free content hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. ... This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons, a repository of free content hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. ... Mechanical Engineering is an engineering discipline that involves the application of principles of physics for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. ... Automotive engineering is a branch of Vehicle engineering, incorporating elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of automobiles, buses and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. ... Gearbox redirects here. ... This article is about the mechanical device. ... An overdrive is sometimes a separate unit that fits into the back of a gearbox, as with this Fairey unit. ...

The condition of a driven shaft spinning faster than its driveshaft exists in a bicycle going downhill when the rider holds his or her feet still, no longer pushing the pedals. Without a freewheel the rear wheel would drive the pedals around. For other uses, see Bicycle (disambiguation). ... Note: This page needs to be cleaned up to be brought into conformance with the Manual of Style. ...

An analogous condition exists in an automobile with a manual transmission going down hill or any situation where the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, closing the throttle; the wheels want to drive the engine, possibly at a higher RPM. In a two-stroke engine this is a lethal situation: as the engine depends on fuel for lubrication, a shortage of fuel to the engine would result in a shortage of oil in the cylinders, and the pistons would seize after a very short time causing extensive engine damage. Saab automobiles used a freewheel system in the two stroke models for this reason and maintained it in the Saab 96 V4 and early Saab 99 for better fuel efficiency. Car redirects here. ... A manual transmission (also known as a stick shift, straight drive, or standard transmission) is a type of transmission used in automotive applications. ... Petrol redirects here. ... In an engine, the throttle is the mechanism by which the engines power is increased or decreased. ... The two-stroke cycle of an internal combustion engine differs from the more common four-stroke cycle by having only two strokes (linear movements of the piston) instead of four, although the same four operations (intake, compression, power, exhaust) still occur. ... A colored automobile engine The internal combustion engine is an engine in which the combustion of fuel and an oxidizer (typically air) occurs in a confined space called a combustion chamber. ... For other uses, see Fuel (disambiguation). ... Lubrication occurs when opposing surfaces are separated by a lubricant film. ... Cylinder with piston in a steam engine A cylinder in the central working part of a reciprocating engine, the space in which a piston travels. ... For the American composer, see Walter Piston. ... Saab Automobile AB is automobile manufacturing company in Sweden, and is currently a wholly-owned subsidiary of the General Motors Corporation. ... Saab 96 The Saab 96 is an automobile made by Saab. ... 1700 cc High Compression Ford Taurus V4 A V4 is an engine in V configuration, with 4 cylinders. ... The 99 was an automobile produced by Saab from 1969 to 1984. ... Fuel efficiency, in its basic sense, is the same as thermal efficiency, meaning the efficiency of a process that converts chemical potential energy contained in a carrier fuel into kinetic energy or work. ...

Gamecenter:1337brian
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Damn you brush, you google skills have pwned mine...

01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think my answer is right as it was very easy to research online, and I'm sure there is more to it.

Source: Wikipedia.

---

1337brian: Only by a few seconds it seems.
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushMyNoseOff View Post
An analogous condition exists in an automobile with a manual transmission going down hill or any situation where the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, closing the throttle; the wheels want to drive the engine, possibly at a higher RPM. In a two-stroke engine this is a lethal situation: as the engine depends on fuel for lubrication, a shortage of fuel to the engine would result in a shortage of oil in the cylinders, and the pistons would seize after a very short time causing extensive engine damage. Saabs used a freewheel system in the two-stroke models for this reason and maintained it in the Saab 96 V4 and early Saab 99 for better fuel efficiency.
WINNER.

Code coming to you.

And I am impressed.

(I had the 4-stroke V4)

- Shigeru Miyamoto
01-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Booo...

I blame my works internet connection on my failure...